[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

Anyone watch the season premiere?

It was...okay, I guess? I don't mind Bill, the new companion. The story and effects were okay. I think it's just that few moments really popped out at me as unforgettable. Plus, The Doctor's other new companion, Nardol, adds absolutely NOTHING to do the show. I honestly don't understand why they brought him back because he might as well have been a potted plant in the corner for all he did.

figmentPez

Staff member
Anyone watch the season premiere?

It was...okay, I guess? I don't mind Bill, the new companion. The story and effects were okay. I think it's just that few moments really popped out at me as unforgettable. Plus, The Doctor's other new companion, Nardol, adds absolutely NOTHING to do the show. I honestly don't understand why they brought him back because he might as well have been a potted plant in the corner for all he did.
The premiere was okay, but the second episode was stupid. Really really stupid. Like, who the hell designs super advanced robots capable of building anything, but leaves them only able to communicate via emoji? If you ask me those idiot colonists deserved to die just for dreaming up that moronic user interface.

And that's not the end of the stupidity. It's like everyone in the episode was struck with the dumb. Even the opening sequence was a whole bunch of ham-fisted "I'm acting phenomenally stupid in order to advance the plot". Talk about burying the lead.

On the whole, the episode was painful to watch.

I found the Doctor's claims that the robots were sentient to be rather dubious.

I think they needed to pass a higher test of consciousness than just murdering everyone.

Like, who the hell designs super advanced robots capable of building anything, but leaves them only able to communicate via emoji?
The future generations that will have grown up with nothing but the internet for social interaction?

I found the Doctor's claims that the robots were sentient to be rather dubious.

I think they needed to pass a higher test of consciousness than just murdering everyone.
PRetty sure the tipping point was seeing them get mad when one of them died... it just wasn't very well presented to the audience... the Doctor just said they did, and we believe him, because we're not good at reading the emotions of piece of plastic with emoji for faces...

figmentPez

Staff member
PRetty sure the tipping point was seeing them get mad when one of them died... it just wasn't very well presented to the audience... the Doctor just said they did, and we believe him, because we're not good at reading the emotions of piece of plastic with emoji for faces...
It would have made a lot more sense for that to be an opening for the robots to experience grief, and let that be a chance for the robots to understand that happiness is not achieved through the culling of other emotions. Nope, instead we just hit the reset button and hope it doesn't happen again! Yeah, those colonists are doomed. Completely and totally screwed. They've been left with the Emoji-bots who want to force people to think "It's a Good Life".

figmentPez

Staff member
So. uhm... That was one hell of a plot twist, if you ask me.

The Twelfth Is Blind!
Well, the big question is WHY? The Doctor seemed pretty darn confident that this situation wouldn't happen, now he's done a 180. Which happens all the time, of course, but what is it that caused the Doctor to be wrong?

Well that was a very different plot than I was expecting based on the pre-episode publicity from the BBC. Sadly what we were promised would have made a far more interesting episode than the dreck we actually got.

What exactly was bad about it?

I mean, yeah, it's a bit contrived, but it's arguably a lot better than old Who stuff.

Honestly, I think this season has been pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but I find I'm enjoying the show more since they got rid of Clara. Who I liked fine, but she overstayed her welcome LONG ago.

Capaldi is KILLING it this season. Despite the overall writing being terrible during his run, he's been outstanding. I'm sad he's not sticking around because I'd love to see a post-Moffat Capaldi.

That's just it -he's building up for one doozy of a changeover.

You know, that could be it: gets all the way to the end of the season, no hints/prophecies of him dying or anything, and then right at the end of the Christmas episode, WHAM. Something unexpected happens and he's dead - not in Sixth Doctor Carrot Juice manner, mind you - and we don't see number 14 until the next fall.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, Moffat is good at the build up but fails in delivery often.
Danny Pink and the look alike in the future with the tin soldier
The last time we saw the angels and the statue of liberty was one
The Clara not dead and running off with Ashildr
The Doctor finding Gallifrey and not really doing anything about it after but still somehow being the last of the time lords

What exactly was bad about it?

I mean, yeah, it's a bit contrived, but it's arguably a lot better than old Who stuff.
I was expecting a 'Companion has to fight a brainwashed Doctor' story which is something I don't think Who has ever done - certainly not in the new series. Instead pretty much as soon as Bill finds the Doctor it's 'Oh the Doctor was only faking being brainwashed, now let's go beat the bad guys'. Basically they promised one type of story & then gave us a completely different one. And while that *can* work it does require that the story they give us is more interesting than the story we thought we were going to get, but they were promising a interesting new take on the Doctor / Companion dynamic & then replaced it with a fairly generic story. Regardless oh good or otherwise the episode actually turns out to be that's going to hurt my opinion of it.

But just so you don't think I'm just badmouthing the episode because it wasn't what I was expecting, there were actual issues with it beyond that. The way they beat the Monks was terrible. After all the build up of 'we have to replace the Monks lies with the truth', turns out they can't do that and Bill has to use her meories of her dead mother instead. Which she *made up*. So they were *lies*. Meaning instead of an ending where truth overcomes falsehood, we get lies beating more lies, which is a fucking terrible ending thematically.

Plus the whole thing with the Doctor spending 6 months pretending to be brainwashed so he could...what? Check that Bill wasn't brainwashed? When even if she was beating the Monks would have undone the brainwashing anyway? And during those 6 months people who wern't fully brainwashed were being dragged away from their families, and if not killed at least being imprisoned? And the Doctor is okay with this? When as far as he knew he could stop the Monks at any time?

Are we about to get a curve ball* thrown at us with the level of concern Missy has for the Doctor right now?

* - Or googly; this is a British show, after all.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

I'm calling it now before the latest episode drops: John Simm's Master isn't returning. Technically. He's a product of Missy's imagination in her ongoing struggle to be "good." And that former part of herself taunts and nags her to return to what The Master truly was: insanely evil.

I'm calling it now before the latest episode drops: John Simm's Master isn't returning. Technically. He's a product of Missy's imagination in her ongoing struggle to be "good." And that former part of herself taunts and nags her to return to what The Master truly was: insanely evil.
Welp, I called that wrong.

Still creeped out by last nights episode, which is something I haven't experienced in a *long time*. that was some proper nightmare fuel which I dont think the show has done since either Blink or Midnight. I know that you should always wait for two-parters to wrap up before judging, but that was really really good, and bursting with ideas from the get go.

relativistic time dilation from a 400 mile long spaceship on the edge of a blackhole, so that one end of the spaceship is in a different time-zone? thats *brilliant*

the creepiest part of the whole thing was the volume control scene. my god, that was proper horrifying. PAIN. PAIN. PAIN. PAIN

...I'm getting a bit irritated that my DVR cuts off the last few minutes of the show. Stupid BBC America.

I'm assuming
Simm-Master said something witty there at the end that made The Doctor's head want to spin?

Well, that was a mostly good finale. They fumbled at the finish line, honestly. After all the set up and advertising for The Master/Missy, they didn't really add much to the overall story by the end. They basically had their own little side-adventure away from everyone else.

But the ending piqued my curiosity enough that I'm looking forward to the Christmas special.

Is Moffet done now?
I'm about 98% certain he's involved in the Christmas episode, and THEN he's done. Thank Christ. He's worn out his welcome.

Especially where he blatantly repeated himself from the last big finale with this episode. As in:

Where Bill ran off with The Pilot, which is almost exactly how Clara and Isildor ran away, off to explore the universe.

...Yeah, I noticed that repeat too.

Along with
repeating his last two incarnation's last words before meeting Number One on the ice planet. Nice setup for the Christmas Special, if you ask me.

13th Doctor to be revealed after the Wimbledon men's final.

If I believed I had even the slightest chance of staying unspoiled until the Christmas special I wouldn't be watching. Sadly that just isn't possible these days.

I kinda hope we get a black actress for The Doctor. If only to watch the heads of explode of anyone against anything but another white male.
Somewhere in the depth of my twitter feed this morning, someone turned complaints in the Daily Mail about the prospects of a female Doctor into episode title cards. I may try to find that tweet later.

figmentPez

Staff member
Somewhere in the depth of my twitter feed this morning, someone turned complaints in the Daily Mail about the prospects of a female Doctor into episode title cards. I may try to find that tweet later.
Are these the ones you're talking about:

Also, I'm hoping for Michelle Dockery.