[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

My dark confession: I am absolutely unimpressed by Doctor Who, it's everything I ever found irritating about British entertainment and culture all compressed into a show that never ever ever ends.

The phrase "wibbley wobbley timey-wimey" just makes me want to punch somebody. This is not a thing adults say.
Ah. So is this the point where I accuse you of being an alt of @fade?

Please Hayley Atwell.
While she'd be awesome for the "powerful doctor" parts, I'm not sure she's "Zany" enough for the role. The Doctor is IMO borderline insane a lot of the time, and thus, not sure she can pull that off. Hence why IMO The Master is such a great Nemesis to him, because of how similar they are, rather than different. The Doctor is very very close to The Master, kind of like a Dark Reflection, and so anybody who played The Doctor without the funny/zany would be a departure from the (last few at the least) depictions of him. There's a reason why Clara was able to FAKE being The Doctor in an episode, because she (the character and the actress) does have that zanyness to her.

Not saying Atwell can't be all that, and I think she's a great actress, I've just never seen it to date. And she's on the young side. Not that they haven't done it with Matt Smith, but keeping an older Doctor for a while could be a good thing.

As for who could pull it off? I'm not sure, but the range shown by Olivia Williams (played Adelle DeWitt, the head of the Dollhouse in that show) could pull it off. She has the "air of power" about her for it. I'm not sure of the Zany, but enough range was shown in that show that I wouldn't put it past her. Other female options I'm sure are also legion. In the "it would never happen but would be awesome" category would IMO be Whoopi Goldberg. Think Guinan in ass-kicking mode. How is that image not awesome?

My dark confession: I am absolutely unimpressed by Doctor Who, it's everything I ever found irritating about British entertainment and culture all compressed into a show that never ever ever ends.

The phrase "wibbley wobbley timey-wimey" just makes me want to punch somebody. This is not a thing adults say.
Ehhh, most of the lines like that come from trying to explain complex science in layman's terms and failing horribly. TBH, Who grates on me too, I enjoyed parts of Eccelston and most of Tennant, but I hated Amy, and Matt Smith's doctor irritated me, even though I know where they were going with it. When I do watch it, it's in chunks and I skip over episodes that start to irritate me.

While I know it'll never happen (certainly not anymore, with her advancing age), I still maintain Judi Dench would've made a great Doctor.
Again, strength yes, but humour? There may be great obvious examples of such, but I'm not a scholar of her work.

While I know it'll never happen (certainly not anymore, with her advancing age), I still maintain Judi Dench would've made a great Doctor.
My choice is Helen Mirren, but Judi Dench is a good choice, too.

William Hartnell wasn't in the best of health when he portrayed the Doctor and his companions did most of the running around, so I wouldn't disqualify any actor based only on age.

If he wasn't kicking ass on Gotham, I'd also suggest Sean Pertwee for the new Doctor. Bring some of that Pertwee awesomeness back to the role. :D

As for who could pull it off? I'm not sure, but the range shown by Olivia Williams (played Adelle DeWitt, the head of the Dollhouse in that show) could pull it off. She has the "air of power" about her for it. I'm not sure of the Zany, but enough range was shown in that show that I wouldn't put it past her. Other female options I'm sure are also legion. In the "it would never happen but would be awesome" category would IMO be Whoopi Goldberg. Think Guinan in ass-kicking mode. How is that image not awesome?
Is there a British actress equivalent of Hudson Leick?

--Patrick

She looks too much like Capaldi...

But seriously, she is great at comedy and better at drama. Hell, she's over qualified. It should be fun.

What do they even base those odds on?

Inside information or just what they think sounds like good casting?

"You know, the problem is that Doctor Who just doesn't look cheap and crappy enough. I mean we re-use the same 4 shooting locations and 25 actors over and over, but that's not enough. We need to be crappier, god damn it! Anything left in the skip?" (dumpster)