[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

My niece just saw me watching the Lego Dimensions trailer with The Doctor in it and started asking all sorts of questions. So now Uncle Cheesy gets to start introducing her to the world of Doctor Who! Between me and my brother, she is destined to be a nerd!

Cnet said:
Not only does the current Doctor appear, but you can play as any of the previous Doctors from the show's 52-year history (even the War Doctor, played on TV by John Hurt). When your character dies, you regenerate into the next incarnation of the Time Lord and cycle through the series. One lovely touch is that each Doctor is matched with the Tardis control room from his tenure, from the early black-and-white version to today's epic set. And you can choose which version of the famous theme tune you want too.

I want to play this game so badly, but I HATE that it's going the Amiibo/Skylander/Infinity route where I have to buy a ton of toys to unlock characters/story lines. If I buy a game, I want to be able to play the game, not sink a ton of $$ into extra tchotckes in order to be able to play a game I just bought.

I want to play this game so badly, but I HATE that it's going the Amiibo/Skylander/Infinity route where I have to buy a ton of toys to unlock characters/story lines. If I buy a game, I want to be able to play the game, not sink a ton of $$ into extra tchotckes in order to be able to play a game I just bought.

You can do what now besides playing with the bricks?

Also,

New season trailer:

Clara's still on the show? :( I still haven't finished the last season because her character just became completely unbearable.

I don't think her character is terrible, but she's had diminishing returns. Her first season was fun (impossible girl!), her second season they didn't seem to know what to do with her, and then last season she spent most of her time whinging how everything needs to be about her, to the Doctor AND Danny. I'm getting the impression the writers don't like Clara anymore.

Awww yeah. Personally, even thought Series 8 was kind of hit and miss, I'm still excited. I really like Peter Capaldi as The Doctor and hope this series will live up to his potential. I think the writing in the last series was bumpy. I read somewhere that some episodes, like the moon episode, were written with Matt Smith in mind not Capaldi. I feel that the creative team will find their footing this season with this very different Doctor.

So I'm rewatching Series 8 of Doctor Who, starting with Deep Breath. And there's a topic that's mentioned that I'd hoped they'd explored this series. They didn't, but I'm hoping they tackle it in the upcoming series.

There's an ongoing discussion regarding The Doctor's new face. For example, it has lines, but where did they come from? He didn't make them, since it's a new face. For that matter, where does this new face come from? He's seen it before (referring to Capaldi's previous work in Doctor Who and also likely Torchwood).

It's a concept that I'd love to see explored. Where DO The Doctor's faces come from? We've seen previous Doctor Who actors return as The Doctor later on. Colin Baker's Doctor (#6) appeared before as a villain for another Doctor.

Heck, you could even have previous Doctor actors appear. Even better, because of this concept, they wouldn't necessarily need to appear as The Doctor. Such as The Curator in the anniversary special.

It's a concept that I'd love to see explored. Where DO The Doctor's faces come from? We've seen previous Doctor Who actors return as The Doctor later on. Colin Baker's Doctor (#6) appeared before as a villain for another Doctor.
Romana chose a body she liked, although the Doctor put up a bit of a fuss.

So I'm rewatching Series 8 of Doctor Who, starting with Deep Breath. And there's a topic that's mentioned that I'd hoped they'd explored this series. They didn't, but I'm hoping they tackle it in the upcoming series.

There's an ongoing discussion regarding The Doctor's new face. For example, it has lines, but where did they come from? He didn't make them, since it's a new face. For that matter, where does this new face come from? He's seen it before (referring to Capaldi's previous work in Doctor Who and also likely Torchwood).

Heck, you could even have previous Doctor actors appear. Even better, because of this concept, they wouldn't necessarily need to appear as The Doctor. Such as The Curator in the anniversary special.
Romana not only decided to regenerate on her own, but tried on a few faces before settling on Princess Astra's. :D

Throughout Doctor Who, they've hinted that some can control their regenerations (Romana, Corsair) and others cannot (The Doctor--Nine even said the process was 'dodgy'). And considering Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee and Sylvester McCoy also had lines...I dunno, it just seems like more of Season Eight Bad Writing to have the Doctor suddenly obsessing about having lines on his new face. Maybe his body picks a face from his memories that reflects his state of mind at the time of regeneration? I mean, he is old, and he did go through the loss of his planet and people and the loss of many companions. I would think he'd actually be wondering why Eleven looked so young!

But I'm sure Moffat will retcon an explanation for regeneration that completely ignores everything we already know, probably centering on Clara going back in time to genetically engineer Gallifreyans to have regeneration in order to create the Time Lords. And then she'll continually whine to the Doctor about how a mere human made his time travel possible. :rolleyes:

I love Capaldi as the Doctor, because he reminds me of the original Doctors (especially Pertwee), and it's breaking my Whovian heart that he's stuck in this shit writing ("Kill the Moon" - Worst. Episode. Ever.) The Clara Show with Special Guest Star The Doctor needs to be nuked from orbit (along with Clara) and the Doctor needs new writers, preferably ones who have actually seen the original series.

The Magician's Assistant

Christ, this episode meandered. It took them 30+ minutes just to get to the damn point of the episode. If it wasn't The Adventures of Clara & Missy, it was the overly long hunt for The Doctor, ending with an overly silly guitar riff. By the time they actually reached whole point of the plot, it was almost time for the next episode. Which is sad, because the premise of the episode was legitimately interesting.

The Witch

This was more like it. Really great back and forth with The Doctor and one of his oldest enemies. I was absolutely enthralled with every line those two spoke. And The Adventures of Clara & Missy was at least a little more interesting this time around, since it pertained to the rest of the plot and the big resolution involved something they discovered. It looked to finally be a home run episode for Capaldi, something his run has been sorely lacking thus far.

And then, right at the very end, The Doctor introduces his new sonic device. And it's the STUPIDEST FUCKING THING. By the look of the trailer, it's not going away anytime soon, either.

My biggest beef is that, while last season's writing was really hit and miss, I liked Capaldi as the new Doctor. He was much gruffer and more serious than recent Doctors like Smith, Tennant, or even Eccelston. But it seems the showrunners didn't agree with that and made him sillier this season - with the sonic device and the stupid guitar/tank riff thing. Except it not only doesn't fit Capaldi, it flies in the face of with how we'd seen him before.

Honestly, between the silliness and meandering of last week and the silliness of this week (especially the dumb as hell new villain they introduced in this 2-parter), I don't know if I'm going to bother with the show anymore.

I haven't watched the new episode yet but the premiere. Meh.i still haven't really gotten into the new doctor yet he's so up and down (not sure if writers fault) in the series not sure if I'll ever like his doctor.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Wasn't there talk of a spin-off with Madame Vastra and her crew? Because I'd like to see that over this. In fact, put Moffat on it so we can finally get someone else on Doctor Who.