The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

GasBandit

Staff member
Just another nice, verbose, Regular Car Review, until suddenly at 11:35, it starts SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO ME.

"In a sense, this Nova is the ideal car for Xennials, that orphan group between Gen X and Millennials. People like me, who identify with either generation but claim neither. You were born during the Carter administration, or maybe the first year of the Reagan administration. And no matter who Boomers are complaining about this week, you feel the weight of their accusations. It's a group young enough to vividly remember the birth of social media, but too old to ever look cool using it. Social anxiety rises as you search for welcome, seeking bright eyes and open arms. You feel a longing in the depth of your soul, but you're also militantly opposed to ever getting married or having children. SO HERE YOU GO! A Chevy Nova. A beautiful piece of simulacrum representing the mass appeal of rarity. This is a car that will be welcome anywhere it goes. YOU will be welcome anywhere you go. You won't just have younger generations thinking you're cool when you drive this, Boomers will have to nut up and admit that maybe there's hope for the youth of America yet - "youth" in this case meaning the people on the broad side of 40. You'll have the Boomers' respect, but it's "begrudgeoning," as they compromise their poli-grip in the jealous gnashing of teeth. You see, Boomers may rag on younger generations for being self-involved, but they were no less self-obsessed in their day. Every young generation wants to change the world, and they all eventually settle into the 9-to-5s and forget what it was ever like to be that young - and rationalize the difference by saying that so-and-so generation is different; it's just the time. In a "Principal Skinner" kind of way, it's the children who are wrong. But that's not it. Boomers want a pat on the back for changing the world - for doing the work that time would have done anyway. And that's what every generation expects when they get old. So let's stop pretending that we're all that different from one pair of decades to the next. Because the unending shape of the 3rd Generation Chevy Nova is the navigator that folds space so that we all can connect."

Just another nice, verbose, Regular Car Review, until suddenly at 11:35, it starts SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO ME.
One of my best friends in high school got himself a 1976 Nova and spent quite a bit of time with it installing a new engine (350 small block), exhaust, paint, posi rear end, cherry bombs, etc. with his dad. Had it almost completely finished by graduation, too. Got to take it on the new freeway nearby right after they opened the ramp, too. Can only confirm up to 126MPH, though. He didn’t want to push it too hard at the time.

—Patrick

Remember the Scottish Merida memes?

Yes, it's the ENTIRE MOVIE, dubbed into "Scottish." With bagpipes and more brogue than ye can handle.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

--Patrick

Man, the girl that sounds like she's been asked to give a sudden presentation at the front of the class (Anahita, I think?) has terrible taste in movies.
I kept being distracted by her chin and cheekbones. She kept reminding me of Margaret Hamilton.

--Patrick

Trailer for Zhang Yimou's (House of Flying Daggers, Hero) new movie, hell yeah. This dude's kung fu movies are the prettiest kung fu movies.

Dave

Staff member
There have been a couple of videos in the last couple of days where construction workers are playing instruments in great acoustic places. And I love that. People look at those doing physical labor and immediately think that they are only doing it because they are dumb or lack talent. You can tell me people don't think like that but I've experienced it way too much. This guy picked up a Native American flute and taught himself how to play it. I am pretty sure I couldn't do that and I'm not exactly on the dumb side. Most of the time.

There is no medium blast. There is only blast.

Now I can be justified in telling people "the next time you raise a hand to the thermostat, you will no longer have hands." It's set right. LEAVE THE FUCKER ALONE.