[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Because I'm finally moving my main system from a 1TB SATA II boot to a 2TB SATA III boot?

--Patrick
That doesn't explain why you're installing XP. Especially if you're going to turn right around and install Win7 over top if it.

That doesn't explain why you're installing XP. Especially if you're going to turn right around and install Win7 over top if it.
Ah, you might think my 7 is "upgrade-only" but that's not the case. It's because the 1TB was dual-boot XP/7x64, so the 2TB will be, too. Basically when I'm done it'll be the same system but with a HDD that's double the size and double the speed.

--Patrick

Ah, you might think my 7 is "upgrade-only" but that's not the case. It's because the 1TB was dual-boot XP/7x64, so the 2TB will be, too. Basically when I'm done it'll be the same system but with a HDD that's double the size and double the speed.

--Patrick
Why is XP on there at all? 7 I can understand a bit, but XP? No.

Why is XP on there at all? 7 I can understand a bit, but XP? No.
Retro gaming, more lax DRM, compatibility with some older hardware...basically I want to keep a working XP environment around for the eight times a year I need it.

--Patrick

Aren't modern PCs powerful enough to just plain emulate XP completely? The amount of new hardware not supported anymore would seem to be high

Aren't modern PCs powerful enough to just plain emulate XP completely? The amount of new hardware not supported anymore would seem to be high
Yes, with limitations. Virtual Machines (VMs) can run XP just fine, but the environment they emulate isn’t usually capable of properly emulating anything that talks more-or-less directly to hardware — mainly things like graphics (DX9). So while I do have XP Mode installed within the Win7 partition to handle boring stuff like Word (the download page for XP Mode calls out that it is specifically meant for “productivity apps”) or most older 16-bit apps*, it will fail miserably if I try to play any game that requires 3D graphics or I run something that needs to talk directly to the sound card or USB port.

As far as emulating something “completely,” we’ve had instruction-level emulation for a while now, but transistor-level emulation is a MUCH more complicated beast.

—Patrick
*Fun fact: even though an app may be 32-bit, sometimes that app’s installer is only 16-bit, leading to a “But it was working fine until I tried to reinstall it!” situation.

Can't get Windows 10 to stop randomly losing window focus on whatever I'm doing. I've googled it, uninstalled things and ended non-essential processes, but still getting annoyed by text fields losing focus mid-type. Some games are utterly unplayable because the full screen will be booted out within 10 minutes or the keyboard/controller changes focus at a critical moment. About ready to try a complete SSD format and reinstall of windows.

Can't get Windows 10 to stop randomly losing window focus on whatever I'm doing.
It's not just WinX. I'm running Win7 and occasionally run into it as well. My keyboard input will occasionally be redirected to some other app. I don't know why it happens. I assume it's related to things like game overlays and such.

--Patrick

Can't get Windows 10 to stop randomly losing window focus on whatever I'm doing. I've googled it, uninstalled things and ended non-essential processes, but still getting annoyed by text fields losing focus mid-type. Some games are utterly unplayable because the full screen will be booted out within 10 minutes or the keyboard/controller changes focus at a critical moment. About ready to try a complete SSD format and reinstall of windows.
Try unplugging all other devices to make sure it's not some rogue driver problem putting in phantom inputs. That was the problem I had when Winx decided to randomly update the driver for my flight stick to a different, wrong driver

I want to connect the linux box to the apartment network to take advantage of that sweet speed. But it's an old Ivy Bridge-era i7. So the ethernet is just 10/100. And the USB wifi dongle I was using is a mere 2.5GHz n. Tops out at 300Mbps. Sigh.

But it's an old Ivy Bridge-era i7. So the ethernet is just 10/100.
Gigabit Ethernet has been widely available since the Pentium 4 days. If it only has Fast Ethernet, that's because the board maker chose to cheap out on that.

EDIT: Does it have room for expansion?

--Patrick

Last edited:
Dangit, I need new headphones.
My current set (Steelseries Siberia 350) work just fine, the sound quality is good and the mic quality is good enough, but the construction is just awful. The suspension headband peeled apart after only 3-4 months' use, and the insulation on the USB cable itself is shredding and coming apart in multiple places worse than an iPhone charging cord. I've had to mummify it in multiple spots with vinyl electrical tape just to keep it together, especially the last few inches leading up to where they join the cans themselves. Would not rebuy, and they've been discontinued anyway.

--Patrick