[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

the place I got the first one still had one just like it left for only $25 more than they sold it to me back in 2017. So yay should be able to just move over RAM and HDD and it'll be like nothing ever happened. On the other hand, ouch, my wallet.
Since tomorrow is payday, I may have also ordered a processor upgrade on eBay so I can upgrade the new one from dual-core to quad-core once it arrives.

DISCOverINFERNO.png

...help me...

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm getting really sick of Netflix spitting back an error most of the time I try to start playback again after pausing the video. I have to restart my browser in order to get it playing again, and sometimes restart my computer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, TechReport used to be so good. Now it's a bare skeleton of what it used to be. Not even any more seasonal system guides, nor links to the ones of previous years.

Man, TechReport used to be so good. Now it's a bare skeleton of what it used to be. Not even any more seasonal system guides, nor links to the ones of previous years.
Their home base is actually located maybe 10mi from where I work, and it’s down to what’s basically a one-man operation these days. I, too, am sad to see their COVID-hastened decline. Soon they will join the likes of Sharkey’s Extreme and Xbit Labs in the history books.

—Patrick

I got a sexy new gaming headset that has both a usb connection and a regular headphone one. Ideally, one uses the usb one to allow for surround sound and colour changing. (I loved the idea of pink glowing headphones lol). They don’t work at all with the usb cord. With the headphone cord, and the volume cranked, I get a faint tinny sound. Grrr. It took ages to get anything.

Not cool for an expensive headset. Piece of %#}€€£¥¥?!

With the headphone cord, and the volume cranked, I get a faint tinny sound. Grrr.
With USB, they may require audio drivers and switching your output to be the headphones instead of the onboard audio.
With the headphone cord, there may be batteries that need charging in order to power the headphones? USB can provide power, headphone cord cannot.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yup yup yup, here we go again... Google's finally getting around to dropping that other axe they promised to drop -

1605585021669.png

Supposedly they'll let hangouts users migrate to google chat (their version of Slack) so I can still make calls on my PCs that way (and honestly that's my preferred way to do so at work)... but who knows how long til they decide to axe Chat, right?

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, I got an android update last weekend, and ever since my battery drain rate has almost doubled.
Apparently lots of people are complaining that their Pixel's battery life has plummeted with the android 11 update.

Some people say deleting the TuneIn app restored normal function. I don't even have that app.
Some people say turning off Bluetooth helps. Seems shitty to me that I should have to hamper my functionality (I use bluetooth constantly in various vehicles over the course of my day) to get back performance from a previous version of android.