Tech News and Miscellany

Congress grills (some) tech CEOs for FIVE AND A HALF HOURS in order to try to decide whether or not tech companies wield too much power.

...look, it's like 330 minutes long. No, I haven't watched it, but it certainly qualifies as big tech news, so I'm dropping it here.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I read a summary on APNews that said Dems were insterested in trustbusting and unsavory business practices, and Reps wanted to harp on bias against conservatism. Tim Cook came out unscathed, but Jeff Bezos apparently had something more of a hard time.

I get the feeling the whole thing was so that Congress could point to it and say they were indeed Doing Something.
No representative from Microsoft, NVIDIA, Intel, AT&T, Cisco, or Oracle? C'mon, guys.

--Patrick

Looking for suggestions. As you know, my wedding will be livestreamed. It's over YouTube. I'd like to record the stream with sound and all, for posterity. However, everyone I know who's a bit tech savvy, will be in the room or unavailable.
What software or way would be the absolute dead easiest to explain to a 60 year old to record the stream in a somewhat probably OK way?
I mean, yes, some sort of FRAPS setup, maybe, but I've never used those before so I couldn't even explain it. Any good/easy options?

GasBandit

Staff member
Looking for suggestions. As you know, my wedding will be livestreamed. It's over YouTube. I'd like to record the stream with sound and all, for posterity. However, everyone I know who's a bit tech savvy, will be in the room or unavailable.
What software or way would be the absolute dead easiest to explain to a 60 year old to record the stream in a somewhat probably OK way?
I mean, yes, some sort of FRAPS setup, maybe, but I've never used those before so I couldn't even explain it. Any good/easy options?
OBS is your best bet. Run it on the computer transmitting the stream, and just use it to record. You can then upload the recording separately later.

I sadly don't have any control over the pc broadcasting, as that's done by City Hall.
OBS is still your best bet. Does Fraps even still exist? >.>

If you can tune into the live feed before it begins, you can just set up OBS to record your screen and just let it run, and edit it later.

GasBandit

Staff member
OBS is still your best bet. Does Fraps even still exist? >.>

If you can tune into the live feed before it begins, you can just set up OBS to record your screen and just let it run, and edit it later.
Dei is right. It's just a shame you can't record before it's sent... because recording what you receive means it's going to compress the compressed image. It's the modern equivalent of dubbing a dub.

Oh, and then there's this:

NewJourney_678x452.jpg

So I guess we hear about AMD's answer to Intel's Gen11 on Oct 8th, and their answer to NVIDIA's Ampere on Oct 28th.
AMD's cards have usually been more computation-friendly than NVIDIA's (excepting CUDA workloads, of course), so we will see what it might do to shake up the Ethereum mining sector's demand.

--Patrick