Tech News and Miscellany

Reactions
138 21 1
I always thought it odd that zoom had the option to turn people’s camera on without a prompt when joining a meeting. You could even hide the video feeds for participants so they wouldn’t even know. It was even the default for us in some cases.

It was comical to be able to watch people do their thing for 15 minutes, and then see their face as they realize their camera is on.

Reactions
2,585 737 25
I would think the lure of end-to-end PCIe 4.0 would be enough to encourage people to move to X570 when they move to Ryzen 3xxx anyway.
FWIW I don't care how cool/edgy/futuristic my UEFI BIOS screen looks near as much as I want it to not have bugs, expose tweaking settings, etc.

--Patrick

Reactions
2,585 737 25
Happy 802.11ax/ay...er, I mean happy WiFi 6 day, everyone! Time to throw away all your obsolete 802.11a/b/g/n/ac gear and buy all new hardware!
...no, really. You won't get all the benefits of WiFi 6 (WPA3 encryption, speeds up to 40Gb/s, etc.) unless most/all devices within range (even your neighbors' devices!) are WiFi 6-compatible.

--Patrick

Reactions
2,585 737 25
Adobe canceling/deactivating ALL accounts and services for people in Venezuela due to Executive Order 13884.
the practical effect of [the Order] is to prohibit almost all transactions and services between U.S. companies, entities, and individuals in Venezuela. To remain compliant with this order, Adobe is deactivating all accounts in Venezuela. [...] We are unable to issue refunds. Executive order 13884 orders the cessation of all activity with the entities including no sales, service, support, refunds, credits, etc. You have until October 28, 2019 to download any content that you have stored in your Adobe account. After this date your account will be deactivated. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Or, as boingboing puts it, since everything is going "cloud as a service" now:
If you live in Venezuela and rely on Adobe products to do your job -- whether that's publishing a newspaper, running an NGO, or doing design work, Adobe has a very special message for you: GO FUCK YOURSELF.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
7,292 1,544 30
I haven't used any of the Adobe suite since...Photoshop 5.5? 7.0, maybe? All pre-CS.

--Patrick
CS8 was the last one before they switched to the subscription model. You miss out on some of the neater bells and whistles, like content-aware filling, but it still feels better to tell Adobe to go get fucked.

Reactions
1,360 487 6
No refunds either for the same reason.

We're TOTALLY REGRETFULLY (gleefully) unable to refund you. Soooooorrryyyy.

Fuck the cloud.

Reactions
2,585 737 25
No refunds either for the same reason.

We're TOTALLY REGRETFULLY (gleefully) unable to refund you. Soooooorrryyyy.

Fuck the cloud.
This just in: Adobe has decided, through the kindness (public backlash) of their hearts, to process refunds for the affected users and to keep their Behance service accessible. The deactivations and all the rest stay, though.

--Patrick

Reactions
2,585 737 25
Heh. I sent that to a friend of mine who is always going on about Linus and who just build an 8xxx-series machine a couple years ago.
The comments: "When will he drop it?" :D

The most impressive part of the video, I think, is where they use it to play Crysis.
"Big deal," you may think. "It has 64 cores, it had better be able to play Crysis."
You don't understand. He's using it to render the graphics. He's using it as an x86 software GPU.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Reactions
2,585 737 25
Yahoo! is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo! Groups

I mean, yes it has become something of a cesspool thanks to all the abandoned zombie groups, but this still seems...extreme.
Anyway, if you want to preserve any content you ever bookmarked (or that you might still subscribe to) on Y!G, you have until Dec 14 to download it locally. Guess I'd better get to archiving all the stuff from the Kryptos group if I ever want to see it again.

--Patrick

Yahoo! is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo! Groups

I mean, yes it has become something of a cesspool thanks to all the abandoned zombie groups, but this still seems...extreme.
Anyway, if you want to preserve any content you ever bookmarked (or that you might still subscribe to) on Y!G, you have until Dec 14 to download it locally. Guess I'd better get to archiving all the stuff from the Kryptos group if I ever want to see it again.

--Patrick
Does this mean I'll finally stop getting email reminders about gaming sessions for groups I haven't been involved with in a decade and a half?