[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Season 2 of Master of None was alright. It's doing a lot of cool things that I don't see everywhere else which I have a lot of respect for. I liked the first date episode though that might have been better as a half episode segment rather than the whole thing. The Thanksgiving episode was really good and I enjoyed it. I'm still not sold on a lot of the overall idea. I like the character enough but I guess I also just can't relate to him that well and don't really care about most of his problems.

GLOW

I loved it. I'm having trouble finding where to start. The cast is all fantastic, the characters are easy to get behind, and the move between comedy and drama is expertly paced. Soundtrack is wonderful, and the way it treats wrestling is great.

GasBandit

Staff member
GLOW

I loved it. I'm having trouble finding where to start. The cast is all fantastic, the characters are easy to get behind, and the move between comedy and drama is expertly paced. Soundtrack is wonderful, and the way it treats wrestling is great.
I hear tell this show has Alison Brie naked?

Really enjoying GLOW. Awesome Kong/Karma kills it in the series way harder than any of the other wrestlers in the series. She's got good comedic chops. Apparently a ton of her speech was improv.

Started I Zombie, LIKE IT...but got some qualms(and possibly more once I buy the comic)-

1. Liv's friends and family feel...WAY too impatient for someone who survived a mid-night murder party to get better. She didn't break sprain her wrist-SHE WAS ALMOST MURDERED BY DRUG RADDLED FOLKS!

2. Blaine...looks WAY too much like Spike from the Buffyverse, like what the hell?

3. YET ANOTHER depiction of an open marriage that's ultimately toxic, irresponsible, and ends in failure. And what, was that one guy just a random rapist then? What the fuck was his deal?

Started I Zombie, LIKE IT...but got some qualms(and possibly more once I buy the comic)-

1. Liv's friends and family feel...WAY too impatient for someone who survived a mid-night murder party to get better. She didn't break sprain her wrist-SHE WAS ALMOST MURDERED BY DRUG RADDLED FOLKS!

2. Blaine...looks WAY too much like Spike from the Buffyverse, like what the hell?

3. YET ANOTHER depiction of an open marriage that's ultimately toxic, irresponsible, and ends in failure. And what, was that one guy just a random rapist then? What the fuck was his deal?
It has very little to do with the comic from what I'm told, and is more based off an unrelated novel they didn't have the rights to.

*SNIFF*-okay, in the latest ep I see, after eating an Asian gang-member's brain Liv gains kung-fu abilities, and Clive calls the main bad guy a "Twisted wannabe ninja." Granted the latter was most likely in reference to sneaking into Liv's apartment but...yeah still kinda racist.

Last edited:
@Yoshimickster , I thought of another series that would be perfect for you to binge-watch: Person of Interest. It has a very comic book-like sensibility with big ideas; interesting, diverse characters; deep continuity; and over the top action. It can be a bit of a slow burn -- for a good part of the first season, it seems like just another CBS crime procedural -- but it's certainly worth the effort.

@Yoshimickster , I thought of another series that would be perfect for you to binge-watch: Person of Interest. It has a very comic book-like sensibility with big ideas; interesting, diverse characters; deep continuity; and over the top action. It can be a bit of a slow burn -- for a good part of the first season, it seems like just another CBS crime procedural -- but it's certainly worth the effort.
Oh shit yeah! Yoshi put iZombie on hold for POI, you absolutely will not be disappointed.

Turns out a huge portion of the TV I like is made by Canada. And I don't mean like it's an American series that films in Vancouver, but shows like The Murdoch Mysteries, Killjoys, Dark Matter, and now on Netflix I've been watching Republic of Doyle. It was a show set in St. John's, Newfoundland, and was an homage to Rockford Files / Magnum PI, etc. It's a light, funny, actiony series about Jake and Malachy Doyle, private investigators. Jake drives a blue 1968 GTO which, while not practical, is pretty awesome. And it's one of those shows that basically every Canadian actor shows up in, so there's a ton of "Oh, it's that guy." Also, it makes Newfoundland look like a really nice place to live. Just saying.

Paying $10/mo for a VPN and watching Wimbledon on BBC's iPlayer is far cheaper than putting TV back on the cable bill to watch ESPN.

It and Killjoys are both spiritual successors to Firefly, and in a lot of ways, a bit better.
That's some pretty high praise. They really manage to find the balance between fun and funny and interesting and smart and likeable characters etc that well?

That's some pretty high praise. They really manage to find the balance between fun and funny and interesting and smart and likeable characters etc that well?
Yes, and they've managed to answer some of the mysteries while opening up a larger conflict.

Okay, so, to sum up: The series follows the crew of The Raza, who have amnesia upon waking from stasis during a crisis. As it turns out, they're mostly a crew of ruthless hired guns - criminals and mercenaries who are responsible for wiping out rebellious colonies or hitting desired targets. With their old selves gone, they start trying to go independent, leaving them on the run from the Galactic Authority as well as various powerful corporations.

As the series goes on, they come into the possession of a "blink" drive. Basically it creates a wormhole and jumps into another dimension, then back at the desired location, almost instantly, without being detected like a standard emergence from FTL and much, much faster. It doesn't quite work, but it could shift the balance of power immensely - and with interplanetary empires, corporations, and the GA all heading towards a massive conflict, whomever has the blink drive holds the key to victory.

Okay, it's a lot darker than Firefly, but's also not nearly as pro-Confederacy.

There are some characters that can be directly compared to their Firefly counterparts. "Two", the captain, is a pretty good analog to Zoe, in that she's a highly competent, intelligent, tough woman who is absolutely lethal in a fight. "Three" is the Jayne, in that he's the least overtly educated, the most sociopathic, the jerk of the crew who enjoys deploying his personal artillery. "Six" is the Book of the crew, in that he's the most inclined to law and order and doing the right thing.

Last edited:
I watched the first couple of episodes, I really need to watch the rest since it's by two of the people responsible for SG-1.

Dark Matter has a slow start but as Null said it really picks up in the latter half of season 1. Once the characters know who they are the real story starts and it's been a joyride every since. And I agree that it is the spiritual successor to Firefly but very much it's own thing. S1 and 2 are on Netflix.

Killjoys has been... ok... this season. In comparison to DM, it started strong in season 1 and S2 was interesting but their overarching story isn't as good as DM so I have been losing interest.

Preacher, Season 2-
This season feels a lot more like the comic, even if it's not a direct adaptation. It's also moving a bit better, although this last episode felt like it was starting to drag in places.

Since I sold off my Preacher collection when Li'l Z was born, someone refresh my memory
In the comic, wasn't Cassidy's friend Dennis not only American, but turned out to be a cannibal or something? I remember Jesse having to save Tulip and Cassidy from him. Like, he was really upbeat and friendly at first.

Preacher, Season 2-
This season feels a lot more like the comic, even if it's not a direct adaptation. It's also moving a bit better, although this last episode felt like it was starting to drag in places.

Since I sold off my Preacher collection when Li'l Z was born, someone refresh my memory
In the comic, wasn't Cassidy's friend Dennis not only American, but turned out to be a cannibal or something? I remember Jesse having to save Tulip and Cassidy from him. Like, he was really upbeat and friendly at first.
I don't think he was a cannibal but he was absolutely a serial killer. And I'm pretty sure he tried to pin his crimes on Cassidy, who dodged it by impaling himself through the neck and pretending to be one of the victims. As an undead, he simply walked out of the morgue later.

I don't think he was a cannibal but he was absolutely a serial killer. And I'm pretty sure he tried to pin his crimes on Cassidy, who dodged it by impaling himself through the neck and pretending to be one of the victims. As an undead, he simply walked out of the morgue later.
Okay, THAT'S what it was. I just remember he turned on them, but I couldn't remember his motivation.

Okay, THAT'S what it was. I just remember he turned on them, but I couldn't remember his motivation.
It was incredibly stupid. Cassidy thought they were best buds because he killed a dude who was luring the other one with drugs, probably to rape him, and the other guy hated him for costing him his first sexual experience. As far as I can remember. It's been a while and it was idiotic.

Jesus H Morningstar I am addicted to Izombie, and only have one complaint about the generally solid season finale when Liz says "There's a bright side to this, now we can finally be together" I immediately went-FUCK YOU-tv writers! That and OF COURSE she gives the cure away because super heroes.

Onto season 2, I notice a dis-TINCT lack of full on zombie mode for most eps.

And this is honestly a question about special effects, in one scene Vaughn maxes out on weights on the lifting machine, and they shoot it so you see the weights being lifted -BUT-not the weights being lifted or Vaughn using the machine at the same time. I get why, logically the real actor wouldn't be able to lift all those weights at once-BUT-couldn't they have used like papier machet weights and sound effects to make it look more of a visual illusion?

Also in season 1 the actress who played Cyn in Arrow was in it, and now I'm just more annoyed that she's not in the show anymore for...some reason. Also Roy.

I was watching some incredibly bad horror story about cars without headlights trying to drive on a rectangular freeway at ridiculous speeds, but they kept crashing and crashing and crashing and...

...oh wait, my bad, that was just the Brickyard 400.