[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

My wife, son, and I tried Parks and Recreation. Just the first episode.

How is this show so popular? I was bored. All of us were bored. And before the jokes, they are very different people from me. This show is a comedy, right? I didn't see anything particularly funny in the episode, either. Maybe some uncomfortable stuff, but not really laugh out loud funny.
As others have said, season 1 is terrible. It's dull, mean-spirited, trying too hard, and is mercifully a short six episodes. Season 2 is when the show develops into the sweet and quirky show with lovable characters.

Wet Hot American Summer mini-series. If you've seen the movie, you have to watch it. If you haven't, you have to watch the movie and then watch the show. They're both on Netflix. You have no excuse.

Westworld is shaping up to be a seriously good show. It's a great examination of game design and game players with the hosts being the poor NPCs that the player gets to do with what they will. I recommend it if you have HBO.

Westworld is shaping up to be a seriously good show. It's a great examination of game design and game players with the hosts being the poor NPCs that the player gets to do with what they will. I recommend it if you have HBO.
I keep waiting for the CGI ghost of Yul Brynner

Finally watched the first episode of Westworld. Holy fucking shit, I'm in so hard. Might be the best first episode of any show ever.

GasBandit

Staff member
This past weekend at my grandfather's house, for the first time I was subjected to watching an episode of NCIS.

This show is garbage.

The characters are all one dimensional or worse, the dialogue is asinine, Mark Harmon's character in particular seems to have no purpose other than to growl loudly at everybody else for things that may or may not be their fault, and the solution to the crime came right out of scooby-do: there was no prior indication that the guilty party was the killer, they just said "oh by the way we've been following you for months (without apparently ever telling the audience that) and here are pictures of you doing a drug deal and those drugs were on the victim so you did it." Right out of left field. There was literally nothing discovered during the dog-and-pony-show investigation that actually turned out to be useful in the arrest.

Garbage. I can't believe this tripe is still on the air.

This past weekend at my grandfather's house, for the first time I was subjected to watching an episode of NCIS.

This show is garbage.

The characters are all one dimensional or worse, the dialogue is asinine, Mark Harmon's character in particular seems to have no purpose other than to growl loudly at everybody else for things that may or may not be their fault, and the solution to the crime came right out of scooby-do: there was no prior indication that the guilty party was the killer, they just said "oh by the way we've been following you for months (without apparently ever telling the audience that) and here are pictures of you doing a drug deal and those drugs were on the victim so you did it." Right out of left field. There was literally nothing discovered during the dog-and-pony-show investigation that actually turned out to be useful in the arrest.

Garbage. I can't believe this tripe is still on the air.
Some episodes of NCIS are decent, but the real focus on the show is on the relationships between the characters, which have more or less become developed over the 14 years the show has been on the air, tying into the PREVIOUS Beliarius Navy show JAG, which was on the air for 10 years before that. But the issue is that if you weren't watching the show during Season 1, you have no fucking clue why these characters are the way they are. And even then it's a worse version of shows like Law and Order: SVU, which have the same baggage attached with the characters but manages to be interesting in and of itself.

Doesn't matter. It's cheap to make, the military gives NBC a SHITTON of support for it, and it's a steady source of ratings for the 50+ crowd.