[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

GasBandit

Staff member
South Park S20E02

A guffaw here and there, but as with most episodes since the paradigm shift to multiepisode/multiseason plot arcs instead of episodic gag commentary, no raucous laughter or great comedic payoffs/punchlines. I feel like the metaphor of not being on social media being treated as if dead in real life is a road heavily trodden these days, and do we really need another "everybody's on their durn phone tweeting their facebooks" parable at this late date?

On the other hand... the commentary on Gerald as the troll really speaks to me. The whole thing where everybody assumes someone who is mean and nasty on the internet is a sad, pathetic NEET in real life is a preconception easily but seldom challenged. Most of you probably remember when I was a great deal more unpleasant to you all than I am now, and so it might not surprise you to hear that I know exactly the feeling Gerald had walking down that street, standing in that grocery line being genuinely patient and cheerful.

It's only two episodes into the season and thus may be a bit early to say it, but while this doesn't look to be the best season ever, it also has potential all its own, and I don't think it will be the worst season either.

Lethal Weapon had a lot of cool action and I like the stupid gimmick with Murtaugh's heart monitor and Chaugh from Mad Men as the exasperated captain.

Designated Survivor delivered somewhat on its high concept, but I think I'm hooked just because of all the dozens of questions I have.

South Park S20E02

A guffaw here and there, but as with most episodes since the paradigm shift to multiepisode/multiseason plot arcs instead of episodic gag commentary, no raucous laughter or great comedic payoffs/punchlines. I feel like the metaphor of not being on social media being treated as if dead in real life is a road heavily trodden these days, and do we really need another "everybody's on their durn phone tweeting their facebooks" parable at this late date?

On the other hand... the commentary on Gerald as the troll really speaks to me. The whole thing where everybody assumes someone who is mean and nasty on the internet is a sad, pathetic NEET in real life is a preconception easily but seldom challenged. Most of you probably remember when I was a great deal more unpleasant to you all than I am now, and so it might not surprise you to hear that I know exactly the feeling Gerald had walking down that street, standing in that grocery line being genuinely patient and cheerful.

It's only two episodes into the season and thus may be a bit early to say it, but while this doesn't look to be the best season ever, it also has potential all its own, and I don't think it will be the worst season either.
Honestly, I feel like you're remembering pre-arc seasons with a bit of rose colored glasses. South Park had been pretty weak for a few years before they started doing this. I think the new structure has breathed life into a show that had gotten somewhat stale.

Honestly, I feel like you're remembering pre-arc seasons with a bit of rose colored glasses. South Park had been pretty weak for a few years before they started doing this. I think the new structure has breathed life into a show that had gotten somewhat stale.
It really feels like Parker and Stone would rather be doing other things at this point, but South Park is what pays the bills and gives them the freedom to do projects like Book of Mormon. And really, I think their more indie stuff (like Orgasmo) is a bit more raw and interesting than South Park ever was.

Has anyone been following Lucifer?

Is it any good?

The concept seemed pretty weak compared to the comic.
I liked it, but it's better if you treat it as its own thing rather than an adaptation. They both start out the same (devil quits hell to run a nightclub) but the show then goes a completely different way than the comic.

Although to be fair it would be really difficult to do the comic storylines on a TV budget.

The Exorcist was good. I normally avoid "Next week / This season on" promos, but the one I caught seems like it's gonna get really wild.

McGyver looked like a show that got scrapped and rewritten almost from scratch. Maybe next week they'll know what show they're trying to make.

Caught glimpses of Westworld while I was doing other stuff last night. For some reason, it made me want a Fallout: New Vegas television series.

Some good stuff coming to Netflix this month. American Horror Story s5, Supernatural s11, iZombie s2, and though I can't imagine I'll enjoy it after s3, Arrow s4, among other things.

fade

Staff member
My wife, son, and I tried Parks and Recreation. Just the first episode.

How is this show so popular? I was bored. All of us were bored. And before the jokes, they are very different people from me. This show is a comedy, right? I didn't see anything particularly funny in the episode, either. Maybe some uncomfortable stuff, but not really laugh out loud funny.

Yeah, the first season is not its best material. That said, it's worth the time investment (in my opinion) as the show is long, and consistently pays off. It remains one of my favorites.

How is this show so popular? I was bored. All of us were bored. And before the jokes, they are very different people from me. This show is a comedy, right? I didn't see anything particularly funny in the episode, either. Maybe some uncomfortable stuff, but not really laugh out loud funny.
Start with season 2. Season 1 is trying way to hard to be another version of the Office US (much like season 1 of the Office was trying to be the UK version), and the show doesn't find it's legs until season 2.

GasBandit

Staff member

The first season almost put me off the show, too, but it's very short, and things start to spool up. Then Seasons 2 and 3 are really good... then around season 6 or so the show gets worse and then better again for reasons I've previously mentioned in spoilers.

It also doesn't help that Mark Brendanawicz is a boring, flat character that eats up waaaaaaaaay too much screen time in season 1. He's around in season 2, but thankfully by then you have Ann and Leslie's budding friendship sort of taking center stage along with other, better characters getting much more time.