[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Did anyone watch "Son of Zorn" tonight? I thought the premise was interesting, but I switched 15 minutes into it to go to the Pats/Cards game. It just wasn't holding my interest. Granted, he hadn't started his new life in Orange County yet, but if you can't grab me 15 minutes into the pilot episode, I don't think you'll do well later, either.
I totally forgot about this show, I'll have to check it out later.

I'm a little late to the party but I just finished watching Stranger Things S1.

I didn't really know what I was getting into, all I had heard was that it had a strong 80s vibe and that it was really good.

And were they ever right. There has been a lot of really good television coming out lately and this show is right up there, possibly right at the top of the list.

I started watching Feed the Beast on AMC's website. It kinda reminds me of Breaking Bad if Walt and Jesse were wine snobs who cooked actual food. It also gave me some useful cooking tips.

And I just found out that it was cancelled after one season. Now I feel bad for not watching the episodes as they aired.

I started watching Feed the Beast on AMC's website. It kinda reminds me of Breaking Bad if Walt and Jesse were wine snobs who cooked actual food. It also gave me some useful cooking tips.

And I just found out that it was cancelled after one season. Now I feel bad for not watching the episodes as they aired.
Eh, David Schwimmer was a weak lead for it.

fade

Staff member
I'm up to episode 4 on Firestarter Stranger Things.

It's pretty good. It's a little tropy and referency, though. Which I realize is intentional, but it also means you know what's coming next. But it's definitely a nice love letter to the 80s.

After finishing Feed the Beast, I have concluded that it had some good ideas but was ultimately mediocre because it was spread too thin. The obsessive cop, the hit and run accident, the mute kid, the abusive grandfather with leukemia, and the many MANY soap opera plots were just too much. All the romances and affairs made the series feel like it came out of the '90s. It felt so '90s that I expected one of the characters to look in the fridge and shout "Sunny D! All right!" They needed to stick to the two friends opening a restaurant with the Polish mafia in the background, and include just one (maybe two) of the secondary plots.

It's a shame too, because that series had potential.

Vice Principals had one hell of a season / halfway finale.

The Good Place is really funny and has a really interesting premise I want to see filled in as much as possible

Kevin Can Wait - I like Kevin James, what can I say? The All In The Family riffs with "Chale" make me laugh, that character is weird and hilarious.

Atlanta and Better Things are also great new shows on FX(X?) I'm still enjoying.

I am slightly concerned that they're shunting it to Toonami instead of putting it in [Adult Swim].
[Adult Swim] doesn't show anime anymore during the week or Sunday. It's all on during the 11:30pm-3:00am EST Toonami block on Saturday. Besides, there are only 3 more episodes this season, unless they show the OVAs (and I don't know if those are full episodes). Season 2 is supposed to start in October or November in Japan, but it might have been delayed until next year. If we're lucky, we COULD get the dub at the same time that Japan gets episodes (like what happened with Space Dandy) but who knows? It might not be until Spring/Summer of next year that we get Season 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened for Attack on Titan Season 2 however...

GasBandit

Staff member
[Adult Swim] doesn't show anime anymore during the week or Sunday. It's all on during the 11:30pm-3:00am EST Toonami block on Saturday. Besides, there are only 3 more episodes this season, unless they show the OVAs (and I don't know if those are full episodes). Season 2 is supposed to start in October or November in Japan, but it might have been delayed until next year. If we're lucky, we COULD get the dub at the same time that Japan gets episodes (like what happened with Space Dandy) but who knows? It might not be until Spring/Summer of next year that we get Season 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened for Attack on Titan Season 2 however...
Just shows you how long it's been since I watched broadcast television. Last I remembered, Toonami had been moved to weekday afternoons to show Naruto and stuff, and [Adult Swim] ran all the way from 8pm to 6am, and was where all the non-shonen anime was.

fade

Staff member
I tried to get more of the story by reading ahead, first on the manga, then on the original webcomic, but the webcomic is all over the place.

Just shows you how long it's been since I watched broadcast television. Last I remembered, Toonami had been moved to weekday afternoons to show Naruto and stuff, and [Adult Swim] ran all the way from 8pm to 6am, and was where all the non-shonen anime was.
Toonami shifted from afternoons to a Saturday only block back in 2004, was cancelled in 2008, came back for April Fools Day 2012 (where we g0t classic Toonami shows instead of the traditional showing of Tommy Wiseau's The Room), and then came back for real in May 2012 because of the enormous fan outcry caused by the April Fools Day stunt. It's been back ever since. You lost track A LONG time ago.

And we should probably move the Anime talk to it's thread before we start getting complaints again.

I tried to get more of the story by reading ahead, first on the manga, then on the original webcomic, but the webcomic is all over the place.
Part of the problem is there's two comics. The original is by ONE, with his terrible art, and that's pretty far ahead. The newer one has better art and a collaboration story which fleshes out some side events and characters, but releases at a glacial pace and sometimes with only 4-10 pages at a time.

In other news, Gotham s2 is fucking amazing.

I remember when Adult Swim showed Big O, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo. Maybe anime was bigger in the mid-'00s.

At the time, there was a Japanese import shop near my neighborhood. It ALWAYS had tons of people in there buying manga and Pocky. Then I went off to Texas for a year and it went out of business. I also started to notice the manga sections shrinking in local book stores.

Last edited:
Yeah, early 2000's was the bigtime for anime breaking into mainstream for sure. Late 90's had some moments with Dragonball/DBZ/Sailor Moon and the lesser-knowns like Ronin Warriors or Samurai Pizza Cats. There was also SciFi's Saturday Anime, which I remember getting up at like 6am to watch.

Oh, good! I wasn't the only one who watched this! I remember being introduced to Project A-ko through SciFi.
I did this as well, even if it was only like 15 movies...

- Dominion Tank Police 1 & 2
- Vampire Hunter D
- Akira
- Project A-ko
- Robot Carnival
- Armitage 3
- Demon City Shinjuku
- Lily C.A.T.
- ODIN
- Record of Lodoss War
- Roujin Z
- Tenchi in Love

... and that's all I remember from the mid/late 90's.

Dave

Staff member
I watched the first episode of Narcos. It looks really good, but I don't know if I've got it in me to watch that heavy of a show.

Brooklyn Nine Nine season premier tonight was very funny, but I hope they get back to New York soon. Wanna see all the other characters.

I watched the first four episodes of Atlanta today, and thats fantastic. I'm already hooked.