[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The bad: The trailers gave away far too much. This felt very much like two separate movies spliced into one (which is kinda appropriate, I guess, given the subject material). The ending was trying to go for a "and now the world will never be the same" vibe, but when you think about it a bit you realize no real significant changes will result. Many of the characters were flat and one-dimensional. Some of the plot twists felt rather meh. And there was one sequence where the movie's basically nudging the audience in the ribs, going, "Look how clever this dinosaur is, eh? Eh?" And then that particular dinosaur proceeds to act like an idiot for much of the rest of the film.

The good: The visuals were good. There were some genuinely dramatic and affecting shots. There were some call backs to the earlier movies that were fun to spot, and the movie didn't beat you over the head with them, like some films would be like "LOOK AT THIS REFERENCE OR CAMEO FROM AN EARLIER FILM, ISN'T THAT COOL?!?!?" (*cough* RogueOne *cough*) This movie didn't do that. And I thought the cast generally did all right with the material they were given.

The great: Bryce Dallas Howard spends a good amount of time bending over.

All in all, about the same quality as the previous film, or maybe slightly better.

I didn't know that was coming out this weekend. So that's why my 18-screen multiplex couldn't spare a single auditorium for Hereditary =/.
Actually I think it's not getting released until June 22 in the US. The rest of the world got it starting from the beginning of June.

Actually I think it's not getting released until June 22 in the US. The rest of the world got it starting from the beginning of June.
Then what's my stupid theater's excuse?

Because I want to see Hereditary, but next weekend is The Incredibles 2, so it's not happening then even if they decide to show it.

I've been hearing some rather disappointed friends reviews of Hereditary. Not happy with the movie at all, and these are just movie people that were interested in the premise of the movie.

I didn't know that was coming out this weekend. So that's why my 18-screen multiplex couldn't spare a single auditorium for Hereditary =/.
Oh hey someone else has heard of this movie. I think I've only seen something like a dozen people talking about it, total.

--Patrick

Oh hey someone else has heard of this movie. I think I've only seen something like a dozen people talking about it, total.

--Patrick
There are so many BIG movies coming out right now that I'm not surprised a little horror movie is getting lost in the shuffle. They probably figured this was a safe weekend to release it, as Ocean's 8 won't be appealing to the same audience. But really, this isn't the time of year to release a horror movie unless it's from a name franchise. I think August or September would've been wiser.

Do posts not auto-merge anymore?

I just came back from Solo. I put it off because people were shitting on it, but after it was over, I actually kind of liked it. I expected something awful and instead got me something that kept me entertained throughout.

If you go into every movie expecting it to be awful, you will rarely be disappointed, because either you will be proven right, or you will be proven wrong.

—Patrick

If you go into every movie expecting it to be awful, you will rarely be disappointed, because either you will be proven right, or you will be proven wrong.

—Patrick
It's true. I went into the first two Fantastic Four movies (the ones with Chris Evans & Jessica Alba) with ridiculously low expectations. Walked out happy and entertained. To this day, I still don't think they're terrible movies. Certainly not great by any stretch. They'd still rank low among a lot of other superhero films, but they're not that bad.

Last edited:
It's true. I went into the first to Fantastic Four movies (the ones with Chris Evans & Jessica Alba) with ridiculously low expectations. Walked out happy and entertained. To this day, I still don't think they're terrible movies. Certainly not great by any stretch. They'd still rank low among a lot of other superhero films, but they're not that bad.
They're a lot more watchable than Fant4stic

Upgrade - Overall, I think this is a pretty good sci-fi romp! It was unexpected and I like seeing Hollywood take chances on weird ideas and more unknown actors. The world building in this is seriously lacking, but I find that pretty common with the genre, in my experience. The trailer misrepresents it some - I thought it was going to be a kind of comedy, buddy cop movie and that is not what it is at all. If you like sci-fi, I think it's a good watch. There's some twists, the action is good and it has some great tense moments. Benedict Hardie was phenomenal as the antagonist. I love actors that can play the bad guy really well.

Hotel Artemis - I mean...it was funny but nothing incredibly special. I wanted the comedy to land better, it left some to be desired from me, but over all, I enjoyed myself. The premise is interesting, I adored the casting (please, just give me all the Sofia Boutella! Heart. Eyes.), well done action sequences. This movie is..dark, like I mean actually dark, not tone, it's visually hard to see, which wasn't my fav. Overall, a fun film, if you're in the mood for something fast and exciting and a little heartfelt, would recommend!

Hereditary - Point blank, this movie scared the shit out of me. And not typical 'boo' jump scare scared, like, unnerved, uncomfortable scared. The set design in this?? Holy shit! It's amazing and the detail is so so good. If you like horror and just cinema in general, I'd recommend. It reminds me of why I love movies so much. It's cleverly filmed and edited to make you feel certain things and a certain way. It's fucked up. It's beautifully acted and the suspense is top notch. My guess as to why people don't like this film is..the ending. It takes a hard left into some weird shit and I'm sure is unsatisfying to many, but not to me. It's weird and upsetting, which I didn't mind. The whole rest of the film is strong enough, to me, for those not a fan of the ending. For a feature film debut, Ari knocked it out of the park in my opinion.
Also, random, but one of the things that upset me so much about the movie is the setting looks EXACTLY like where I live. I seriously felt as if I was home. I walked out after the movie was over and I was basically there. It has to been filmed in Colorado or Utah or something.

It's beautifully acted and the suspense is top notch.
The review I read said it was the best "slow burn" horror movie so far this year, and that even the cinematography was chosen specifically to keep you uneasy. Fluttering drape? Not good enough, make it an eerily fluttering drape, etc.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Coco

Entertaining, but super predictable. So predictable in fact, that I called the entire movie the moment they mentioned de la Cruz. My daughter, who had seen it in the theater with friends didn't believe I'd never seen it. I'm not trying to brag---they telegraphed and troped everything. Still, it was a fun watch.

Peter Rabbit - fun slapstick comedy movie with lots (lots) of winking at the audience. Lots of tropes so when they turn some on their head it’s pretty effective. Little depth, little emotion, but not bad.

Just got back from seeing Incredibles 2. It was good! It was not as good as the original, but I think the original is near perfection so it’s no surprise the sequel is one tiny notch lower. However, the action was great, the characters were fun, there were some hilarious parts, and everyone in my family was thoroughly entertained.

I would give it 4.5 out of 5.

I'm done, I've had it, I'm sick of movie audiences at fucking horror movies. The baby at Annihilation was kinda cute (yes, you read that right, someone thought that was a good idea) but I can't imagine sitting through A Quiet Place in a theater and I wish I'd waited for Hereditary to be for rent, because some asshole clearly didn't want to be there and was chuckling through the whole thing. His daughter who wanted to be there had him sit away from her.

I was less polite. I told him to shut up. Didn't accomplish anything and I didn't feel like I could talk to someone who worked there since he wasn't technically talking. It was pulling me out of the movie enough to notice the mom's acting was not great in some scenes, and it's really hard for me to notice acting shortcomings unless it's someone who can't emote, like Kevin Costner. It might just be that the character was doing a bad job convincing another character what she wanted to do.

As for the movie, I'm not sure. The journey from ads to where it begins to how it ends are so far removed from each other that I almost feel the script needed another pass because the first half feels like a separate movie built on separate stakes.

That the ending monologue felt the need to explain what happened kind of emphasizes this.

The mom's blame issues there on both sides. She felt blamed when she didn't do as the grandmother wanted, but any time she did something of her own volition, she blamed someone else. This seemed like it'd be leading toward a "nothing is happening, she's just crazy" explanation, but fortunately that's not the case, it was just a character flaw. She needed therapy, but is suspicious anytime someone wants to help her.

It's a well-made horror movie in any case. Solid direction and excellent use of sound. I'll definitely need to get the music from the finale.

I probably need to see it again to watch for clues in the first half, because they were probably there. Maybe someday at home. Without the uninvited laugh track.

Last edited:
I've seen some movies recently.

Ocean's 8 sure is an Ocean's movie. Cast was fun, but I don't get anything out of these. They've been mechanical since the beginning.

Action Point might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I'm an unapologetic lover of Jack-Ass and Bad Grandpa and the ilk. It's such a carved up piece of shit movie. It's insane that anyone thought this was acceptable to put into theaters.

Incredibles 2. Like Tress said, there are a lot of really funny parts and plenty of action. It's totally worth going to see if you like Pixar/Disney movies. The only problem I had was that Aussie and I picked out the villain almost from the time they got on screen. That made the plot a bit meh for me.

I agree with the 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Void: I needed a pallet cleanser, not because Hereditary was bad, but just to have an uninterrupted movie tonight.

This was neat. I think they overdid it a bit in some parts and the second half isn't as intriguing as the first, but there's a lot of prosthetic work and makeup for creature effects, which is a welcome surprise especially for a movie from 2016. One review made a mostly accurate comparison, calling it a mix of Hellraiser and Carpenter's The Thing.

The villain loses his train of thought near the end, so his overall goal gets broken up into various god complex villain cliches.

I really, really enjoyed Solo. It felt as fun and exciting as watching Star Wars for the first time.

Edit: If I have one nit-pick, it's that the Maw sequence felt a little padded. That's all, really.

Last edited:
I really, really enjoyed Solo. It felt as fun and exciting as watching Star Wars for the first time.

Edit: If I have one nit-pick, it's that the Maw sequence felt a little padded. That's all, really.
I had the same feelings on the movie, including the nit-pick.

I had the same feelings on the movie, including the nit-pick.
I agree, but would put one more point forward: I think it's dumb that they made something that was supposed to be about skill and ship capability (in the mythos) down to dumb luck in the movie.

IMO the next time some network makes The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits (or similar show where it's OK for everybody to die in an episode), they should have a montage show about people going "outside the boundaries" in whatever way is advertised as certain death, and have them all die. "The only safe way through" is that way for a reason. But given how we see heroes do it all the damned time we have this idea that it's not really that dangerous. I'd love to see a sequence where everybody just gets it, and other characters afterwards (rightly) comment on their stupidity.

Incredibles was great as @stienman said.

Beware though, while there are some really interesting scenes visually, I imagine they would trigger a seizure really hard if you suffered from epilepsy.