[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

BananaHands

Staff member
Sorry to Bother You (2018)

I feel like I watched two different movies lazily stitched together. They could have cut a half hour off this movie and dropped the big twist that consumes all the dangling plotlines and it would have been something great. Really disappointing.

The Sandlot is a lot weirder than I remember. Like, were they all just IMAGINING that normal sized dog was a giant? Like a collective hallucination? Also when Hercules gets loose, there's a scene where a cake launches up in the air in one shot, but by the next shot its all ready broken, like it somehow broke in 1.5 seconds instead of staying mostly stable until hitting the chefs in hilarious fashion.

Sorry to Bother You (2018)

I feel like I watched two different movies lazily stitched together. They could have cut a half hour off this movie and dropped the big twist that consumes all the dangling plotlines and it would have been something great. Really disappointing.
I'm just glad it's been released so those headache-maker trailers are gone from theaters.

Just accidentally saw about an hour's worth of Sharknado 3.

...seriously? There's 5 of these things? People like these? The acting was bad, the effects were bad, the storyline doesn't make sense, the science doesn't even make sense in-story or in-world (obviously not in real life either, but I'll give it a pass for that - plenty of entertaining movies built on junk science). Directing is off, the music choices are between uninspired and horrible, side characters don't even have the personality of a cardboard cutout. It's...special how bad this is. I like B movies, I don't mind them... but this is some weird crossover between B or even C movie and blockbuster keeping the worst of both.

I don’t get it, but apparently it’s entertaining how crappy the Sharknado movies are.

Personally, I’d rather watch something that was actually good and/or funny.

Saw that new Marvel movie.

It was ok. I have concerns about how badly smashed up the insides of those buildings must be while miniaturized...also, do they have internal generators and water supplies? I always dug the comics version of Ghost so watering down the character from an anti-capitalist terrorist into someone who hurts all the time was kinda lame.

So, INCREDIBLES 2? A LOT of fun. Superb animation. Probably the most creative uses of various superpowers I've seen in any movie or show. That alone is worth going to see. (though the seizure warnings are warranted; the flashing lights even hurt my eyes)

However, it's also nearly a point-to-point remix of the first movie. It follows the same story beats to a near tee, some similar themes (and villain motivations), even right down to how the heroes win in the end.

Disappointingly, Edna made only the barest of appearances.

Now that I'm aware of Brad Bird's Randian opinions, I see it in the writing, too. Some characters have opinions and motivations not unlike Ayn Rand's writing. Though oddly enough, they're not necessarily the HEROES opinions. But the ideas are there, nonetheless.

Still worth watching? Absolutely. It's just as fun as the first one, with all the amazing strides in animation, and an incredibly sight to see the super powers at work, especially in the big fights.

Ant-Man and the Wasp- you know, the Ant-Man movies aren't the most ground-breaking of the MCU, but they are always fun. I enjoyed it, and I kinda love the fact that this is another one I can enjoy with Li'l Z now. It had a lot of action, but almost no graphic violence and minimal profanity. I think he's going to love it, too.

Dave

Staff member
Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night. Ugh. I liked Jurassic World but this one was just too much. The character's actions made NO sense, the climax - even though it was the one I wanted - still makes no sense considering what the NEXT movie is going to be. The ONLY thing that surprised me was the twist with the little girl, but that part was rather inconsequential in the scheme of things.

I paid nothing to see this movie and I still think I got ripped off.

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night. Ugh. I liked Jurassic World but this one was just too much. The character's actions made NO sense, the climax - even though it was the one I wanted - still makes no sense considering what the NEXT movie is going to be. The ONLY thing that surprised me was the twist with the little girl, but that part was rather inconsequential in the scheme of things.

I skipped this one, but I might see the next one based on the ending.

Mission Impossible: Fallout Damn that was a fun popcorn flick. It was just too damn long. The audience actually gasped as the fight scenes, stunts, and special effects.

Yeah I really feel like if you'd seen any of the commercials for this movies ...you'd seen the movie. It was pretty disappointing over all.

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night. I paid nothing to see this movie and I still think I got ripped off.
Yeah I really feel like if you'd seen any of the commercials for this movies ...you'd seen the movie. It was pretty disappointing over all.
You know, there are times I'm unhappy about the fact that I don't get to see very many movies.
This is not one of those times.

--Patrick

I watched Jurassic World and it was amazing how bad the cgi was. Not Asylum bad but way to obvious that nothing in the movie was really there.

Jesus christ, when Blue smells the gas, looks over at the camera and does the action hero run and dive out of the way of the explosion I laughed my ass off at the absurdity.

Off the topic of God awful sequels to God awful movies I'm never going to watch, we have the polar opposite, Mission Impossible: Fallout.

This movie fucking ruled and is the best summer popcorn flick this year by eleven trillion miles. The action and stunts are fucking awesome, the movie has a good balance of dopey Mission Impossible spy chicanery and I'm still in love with the portrayal of Ethan Hunt being really fucking rad, but not infallible. He fucks up, gets hurt, gets the shit kicked out him, fumbles shit etc. It's a little self aware of the Cruise-isms, I think there's a literal minute long single shot sprinting scene and it's probably too long, but these complaints are minor.

Also, I'm glad they made Henry Cavill keep his mustache, therefor making Justice League look ridiculous, because his mustache was a very important part of the movie. It's a GREAT mustache.

Cruise missile strikes true.

Just saw TEEN TITANS GO TO THE MOVIES with my niece. It was hilarious. So many background references and in-jokes, along with fart and poop jokes (no, really).

Very blatantly kiddie, but I still laughed right along with my niece the whole time.

Definitely the best DC movie since Lego Batman.

Julie got me some scary movies. I watched the other two because Salem's Lot is three hours long and I need to be in the mood for that length of movie.

Rewatched Annihilation with Julie this time. I need to see this stuff by myself first so I can warn her when a jump scare's about to happen--easy when there are two in the whole movie--so she enjoyed it as much as I did and we had a lot to discuss afterward. I hope Alex Garland can keep making movies like this.

Also watched The Changeling which I hadn't seen before. This is a smart horror movie with a strong story, suspense, scares, drama. It was even kinda sad, or maybe the ghost's backstory touched a personal nerve. Something like The Conjuring, which is a great horror movie, can sometimes wave away its backstory because it goes so over the top (the malevolent spirit is a dead Satanist who sacrificed her baby to conjure the devil and then hanged herself) that it's unrelatable. What happened in this movie, I could see happening. Probably has happened. I had a guess as to why, but I'm glad I was wrong. I was also surprised by some of the late movie turns as they were unconventional especially for the situation presented. I like that a ghost can be presented as a force of presence. It can need help, be desperate to reach out to someone as Walter C. Scott's character puts it, and yet still be dangerous. The strength behind the emotions for pleading can likewise fuel rage.

With thanks largely in part to a friend of mine, I watched all four Purge movies this week (the latest one just tonight in theaters). All for the first time.

And they're...not bad. The political message and allegories are so devoid of any subtext, they're just text. Flat out, right in your face, this is what these movies are really about, right down to using lines straight from the current president's mouth.

While VERY well shot at times, there's nothing really special about them and don't really give you anything deep to think about, but they're fun B-movies that further embrace the ridiculousness of the concept with every new entry. They remind me a lot of John Carpenter's Escape from New York and Escape From L.A.: just about as subtle, but just as much fun.