[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I agree, but would put one more point forward: I think it's dumb that they made something that was supposed to be about skill and ship capability (in the mythos) down to dumb luck in the movie.
I actually think that's fitting for the character. Sure, it might have been luck, but he's going to claim it as skill and brag about it

I actually think that's fitting for the character. Sure, it might have been luck, but he's going to claim it as skill and brag about it
I'd say depends. I don't agree with your interpretation, but I acknowledge it as perfectly valid.

I more saw it (from the original movies) as both Han and Lando being all about how fast the ship was, when Solo says that the "run" only succeeded because they did a massively stupid shortcut, as opposed to the ship being so much faster than everything else around (as per original trilogy, comments from both Han AND Lando).

Incredibles was great as @stienman said.

Beware though, while there are some really interesting scenes visually, I imagine they would trigger a seizure really hard if you suffered from epilepsy.
Our theater had epileptic warning signs outside the auditorium doors. First time I’ve ever seen something like that, but they clearly needed it given the scenes in question.

I'd say depends. I don't agree with your interpretation, but I acknowledge it as perfectly valid.

I more saw it (from the original movies) as both Han and Lando being all about how fast the ship was, when Solo says that the "run" only succeeded because they did a massively stupid shortcut, as opposed to the ship being so much faster than everything else around (as per original trilogy, comments from both Han AND Lando).
That seems fitting, though, given how every Star Wars movie retcons something in the original trilogy. And Empire and Jedi even retconned the original movie.

figmentPez

Staff member
Our theater had epileptic warning signs outside the auditorium doors. First time I’ve ever seen something like that, but they clearly needed it given the scenes in question.
I'm curious if the flashing in the movie is actually of a type that is likely to trigger seizures, or if they're just putting up the warnings because movie reviewers and people on the internet said "hey, this could cause seizures"! Not that I think it's wrong to provide the warning, but I'm curious about the medical science behind it. i.e. Can you make a scene with flashing lights that is unlikely to trigger a seizure, even in a sensitive person, but that would still make your average joe say "that could cause a seizure"?

I'm curious if the flashing in the movie is actually of a type that is likely to trigger seizures, or if they're just putting up the warnings because movie reviewers and people on the internet said "hey, this could cause seizures"! Not that I think it's wrong to provide the warning, but I'm curious about the medical science behind it. i.e. Can you make a scene with flashing lights that is unlikely to trigger a seizure, even in a sensitive person, but that would still make your average joe say "that could cause a seizure"?
I suspect that would 1.) Be very difficult to study ethically and 2.) Might not generalize very will to others who experience seizures since the triggering mechanism can be quite individualized.

There have been a number of studies on photo induced seizures.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy

There’s a great variety, and it would surprise me if the studio didn’t have discussions with epilepsy experts to reduce the chances of inducing one.

Then the legal department probably required they post warnings to reduce their liability.

My understanding is that the sequences must last longer than a certain period of time, and the one thing I noticed is that the sequences were never on the screen for more than a handful of frames in every case.

As I understand it, due to the inherent differences in the biology of every human being (no two brains are folded the exact same way), you can make generalizations about triggering by light, but nothing specific.

—Patrick

There have been a number of studies on photo induced seizures.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy

There’s a great variety, and it would surprise me if the studio didn’t have discussions with epilepsy experts to reduce the chances of inducing one.

Then the legal department probably required they post warnings to reduce their liability.

My understanding is that the sequences must last longer than a certain period of time, and the one thing I noticed is that the sequences were never on the screen for more than a handful of frames in every case.
Not sure if you were responding to me, but I meant specifically his query about making seizureless flicker.

For the majority of them that's true. The main culprit I'm thinking of is at least a minute or two long.

It's entirely possible it's a non issue, just thought I'd give a heads up.

I've seen tweets from people who had migraines after Incredibles 2, likely because of the lights.

Julie decided we'll wait to watch it at home where the lights will be less intense since she's been battling severe migraines for the past few weeks.

figmentPez

Staff member
I suspect that would 1.) Be very difficult to study ethically and 2.) Might not generalize very will to others who experience seizures since the triggering mechanism can be quite individualized.
Ah, okay. I had been under the impression that the necessary types of flashing to cause seizures fell in a relatively narrow range.

Ah, okay. I had been under the impression that the necessary types of flashing to cause seizures fell in a relatively narrow range.
There’s a belief that certain frequencies are more triggering than others, but I don’t know how much is true and how much is just a plot device for movies like The Andromeda Strain.

—Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
Gotta agree with @LittleKagsin little about Hereditary. I get why people would be disappointed in the ending, especially since they'd been pushing an unreliable narrator feel the whole time. But I liked it. I'm a nervous person with an overactive imagination, so after watching it, I kept my husband up til 3 am watching silly YouTube videos, and I slept with the light on. Never matters how unrealistic a scary movie is...theres always a monster in my closet afterwards.
I played a game in my head where the cult is directly descended from the coven in The VVitch, because the movies reminded me of each other.

Gotta agree with @LittleKagsin little about Hereditary. I get why people would be disappointed in the ending, especially since they'd been pushing an unreliable narrator feel the whole time. But I liked it. I'm a nervous person with an overactive imagination, so after watching it, I kept my husband up til 3 am watching silly YouTube videos, and I slept with the light on. Never matters how unrealistic a scary movie is...theres always a monster in my closet afterwards.
I played a game in my head where the cult is directly descended from the coven in The VVitch, because the movies reminded me of each other.
It leaned so hard into unreliable narrator! By the point she's trying to explain everything to her husband, she was coming across like the governess from The Innocents.

But I would've been disappointed if it had turned out she was crazy. I think the climax trouble for the audience was both the weirdness, but also it wasn't clear what the coven was needing to do. We knew the ritual needed to be completed, but don't know what this is, so it feels like random craziness once the dad dies. I was still on board because I was invested, but I can see why some people were frustrated. Then you find out the ritual needs the heads, so mom had to lose hers.

Of course, once the movie is over you can look back and see a bunch of visual clues. And for all we know, audiences would've disliked it anyway for the slowness. But I loved The Witch, and I think most people who did would be interested in Hereditary. That said, people also were bored by The Witch. (Sigh)

At this point I feel like I should rent Drag Me to Hell. That was blasted by audiences years ago and I never saw it, but the critical rating is pretty high. Maybe this weekend.

Black Panther.
What was all the hype about? It was okay. It had some cool moments for sure. I liked the world/mythos building of Wakanda and the Black Panther. Some of the fight scenes were good. All the actors were pretty great although accents were all over the place, though you could just say it was tribal dialects. I don't like Forest Whittaker. He's had some amazing roles in the past, but for the most part I find his acting grating. I really disliked Martin Freeman's character. Bad acting. Bad accent. Quite pointless character honestly. He needs to stick to his bumbling mumbling schtick. It wasn't as bad as Iron Man 2 and 3, but it wasn't a whole lot better either. I really liked the Wakanda entourage in Infinity War and was really looking forward to this movie. Maybe the sequel will be better.

Paddington

Twas not expecting a clever racism allegory in a cute family film, but I ain't complaining!

Incredibles 2

Admittedly not as dramatic as the first film, but still REALLY good.
Hereditary

Hot DAMN that was spooky!

Pacific rim uprising:

Given the reviews I thought it’d be worse.

It was good. Not great, but good. I’m really glad they chose the plot they did. The source of the badness was a nice choice and much less trope prone than a conspiracy or simply more big bad guys would have been.

Pacific rim uprising:

Given the reviews I thought it’d be worse.

It was good. Not great, but good. I’m really glad they chose the plot they did. The source of the badness was a nice choice and much less trope prone than a conspiracy or simply more big bad guys would have been.
It was basically power rangers the movie (note: I haven't seen the new power rangers movie). While not as great in scope as the original, I'm fine with that

Dave

Staff member
Finally saw Deadpool 2. There was 5 people in the theater. I think it would have been better packed. Zach and I laughed out loud a lot but we were the only ones.

I saw The Incredibles 2. What I liked the most about it is that it has something that I feel is missing in most superhero films: super powered fights. Two characters with completly different set of powers fighting. Most of mcu is super strenght vs super strenght.
I also just saw it tonight. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also:
The Underminer is the most successful "Incredibles" Villain yet. He's survived two films so far!

The Killer

Action, suspense, only one female character with an actual name, (possibly) unintended homeroticism, doves, its a JOHN WOO movie all right and I LOVED it!

Seriously though, fun flick!

Just saw Ant-Man and the Wasp. It was good, but not great.

1) The humor was hit-or-miss; some jokes were hilarious, but others fell flat.

2) The movie asks its audience to suspend disbelief A LOT. There’s macguffins galore, scientific-sounding gibberish, and a healthy dose of deus ex machina. The script could have been a lot tighter.

3) Evangeline Lilly was excellent as The Wasp. She really felt like a genuine partner instead of a sidekick. Paul Rudd was as good as always. The rest of the cast was solid, though I got a weird vibe off of Michael Douglas like he was phoning it in during some scenes.

4) The villain, Ghost, was kinda meh.

5) The action was great! Some scenes are as good as any action sequences out there.

6) The girl playing Scott Lang’s daughter totally stole every scene she was in. She was great too!

7) The movie is never bad, and always entertaining. Some parts are just more entertaining than others.

8) The movie’s only real flaw is that it came after Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Avengers 3. Those three movies raised the bar in interesting, fantastic ways. This movie is only a letdown in the sense that it came back down to Earth after the previous three. It’s like the first three batters each hit a home run to start off an inning, and then the next guy hits a double. It’s good, but it’s overshadowed by what came immediately before.

There are TWO post-credits scenes, both of which tie into Avengers 3 and presumably help set up Avengers 4.

Overall, I liked it. I would give it a solid B+. Well worth the trip to the movies.

Ant-Man & Wasp was fun as heck. Maybe not as focused as the first one, but the "villain" wasn't moustache-twirling evil this time.

The use of powers in this one was SO MUCH more fun and varied, though. Shrinking, growing, and phasing, especially in the fights, were great.

Game Night. Fun movie, but the writers are so oblivious to what games real 'game night' folks really play; unless this was game night from the 80s. I know what games they play didn't really matter for the story, but it's just lazy screen writing. The story was over-the-top and silly, but it had me loling quite a few times.

Finally saw Justice League.

Big meh.

I think it's even more disappointing that in this one they get close to something great for these characters but it never really delivers. I honestly think they should scrap their movie plans (Except for WW2 and Aquaman, as those are in production) and start over. Pretend the Zach Snyder moves were a bad dream and re-launch the film series just doing solo movies of the different characters. Once you have several of those out and successful then re-visit this team idea. Cause everything that stems from shit is gonna smell like shit at the very least, and that's the kindest way I can describe the Snyderverse.