[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
I won't be able to see it until at least next Friday. Supposed to have some money coming in then. Maybe. I hope.

Saw Avengers infinity war a second time in theater. Notablebecause I can't think of any other movie outside of the re-release of A New Hope that I've seen twice in the theater.
A day later saw Deadpool 2. Loved it. Like so many others I am glad marketing didn't give away the big points. I'm not sure that it made me quite as giddy as the first one but may even consider seeing it again

Oh man, Deadpool 2 was like [swear word] [other superhero franchise reference] [swear word] [other superhero franchise reference] [swear word] [surprise cameo] [swear word] [reference] [cameo] [swear word].

Seriously, it was...okay. Some jokes landed, but more didn't land for me. The "hilarious reference to other superhero franchise" thing wore out its welcome fast. The story was mildly more interesting and Cable, Domino, and [surprise antagonist] were fun.

Also, there's a bit near the end that drags on way WAY too long. It's one of those Family Guy "we'll keep dragging this on and on even when it it stops being funny" but like those jokes, it doesn't come back around to funny again.

One bright side: the "Fuck Crutch" is toned down in this one and replaced with more jokes. Still lots of swearing, but it's stretched out more and it's not relied upon as much for the humor like the first one.

Finally, my main criticism is similar to the first one: when it goes for comedy, it's hilarious. But there are many moments in the story where it gets way, way, WAY too serious and it's just so jarring with everything else that it doesn't feel like the same movie.

We just rewatched the first one this weekend and most of them were either as adjective, or someone just muttering fuck. There were only a few spots where there was room for a joke to replace it. They could've used the word shit instead, but then it's just silly applying to a guideline for its own sake. Sometimes what one writing guideline or professor says will nag when it shouldn't, like whatever writer said never to describe the weather. It doesn't mean that work which ignores it is wrong

Pulp Fiction has about 170 more fucks than Deadpool, and while you could probably remove most of them, why? There'd be nothing to replace them with.

And now that I've defended the first Deadpool on that hill ... I wasn't really into it on second watch. I hardly laughed, and I don't know if that's because I remember most of the jokes? But there are other comedies where I remember the jokes and still laugh when they come up. The times I laughed were from jokes I missed in the theater because the audience had been laughing at a previous joke. Still a good movie, but I don't know if I'll ever watch it again.

We just rewatched the first one this weekend and most of them were either as adjective, or someone just muttering fuck. There were only a few spots where there was room for a joke to replace it. They could've used the word shit instead, but then it's just silly applying to a guideline for its own sake. Sometimes what one writing guideline or professor says will nag when it shouldn't, like whatever writer said never to describe the weather. It doesn't mean that work which ignores it is wrong

Pulp Fiction has about 170 more fucks than Deadpool, and while you could probably remove most of them, why? There'd be nothing to replace them with.

And now that I've defended the first Deadpool on that hill ... I wasn't really into it on second watch. I hardly laughed, and I don't know if that's because I remember most of the jokes? But there are other comedies where I remember the jokes and still laugh when they come up. The times I laughed were from jokes I missed in the theater because the audience had been laughing at a previous joke. Still a good movie, but I don't know if I'll ever watch it again.
See, The Fuck Crutch isn't a hard rule I abide to, either. I haven't seen Pulp Fiction in a long time, so can't say either way on that. But my biggest gripe with the first Deadpool was late in the movie when he was freaking out about something and it was just an endless stream of fucks for several minutes. That's plenty of time to put in all kinds of funny lines about how frustrated he is. And it just wasn't funny for me as is. It's not so much how many fucks, but the overuse of the word within a short period. Like a criticism of overusing ANY word in a sentence or paragraph. Sure, it's not "bad," but it could've been better. Especially in a movie as clever as Deadpool was at many points.

Saw Deadpool 2 over the week-end with my dad. We laughed ourselves silly. It was an absolutely wonderful movie.

Also saw Infinity War on opening week-end. It was also wonderful, but obviously for entirely different reasons.

Good year for comic book movies, man...

I thought the first one was a complete "meh" as both a comedy and a superhero movie. The second one worked on both counts for me.

Man, Annihilation is a weird movie.

Maybe weird is the wrong word. Creepy? Yeah, it's a creepy movie.

I don't know why there was a big To-Do over it being "too complicated" for general audiences. It felt pretty straight-forward to me. Still, I like that they took a sci-fi story and cast all the leads that would normally be played by men as women in a very "this is just what it is" type of way. It was about the mystery and that's awesome. I love Tessa Thompson and Gina Rodriguez, so that helps, too.

I don't know why there was a big To-Do over it being "too complicated" for general audiences. It felt pretty straight-forward to me. Still, I like that they took a sci-fi story and cast all the leads that would normally be played by men as women in a very "this is just what it is" type of way. It was about the mystery and that's awesome. I love Tessa Thompson and Gina Rodriguez, so that helps, too.
One producer wanted to turn it from a creepy mystery sci-fi movie into an action sci-fi movie. He lost that argument, but (it's speculated) his revenge was that the movie only released theatrically in the U.S. I suppose you could look at the climax as being heady, but only because there was no dialogue for like 10 minutes. That's like saying Wall-E is too heady. The visuals told what was going on.

Solo was enjoyable. Had some unexpected thrown in with the expected. I look forward to the expansion of the star wars universe - while they didn't shout "SEQUEL" they certainly provided an opening.

Solo was enjoyable. Had some unexpected thrown in with the expected. I look forward to the expansion of the star wars universe - while they didn't shout "SEQUEL" they certainly provided an opening.
What about a sequel where he gets caught up in the rebellion vs the empire?

That's a good enough review for me to stick it on the netflix queue :)

After the ordeal it was to get dinner, I decided to do my usual "Julie is with her friends" activity, watching a horror movie. I almost watched It Follows again and I kinda wish I had, but also I'm alone and it's dark and I've only watched that movie during the daytime so far. Even a bad horror movie can get you creeped out when you're alone at night; a good horror movie makes it so much worse.

The Gift didn't have that effect. I know this was praised back in 2015, but I had the hardest time getting into it. I wasn't sucked into the suspense of the situation, and I knew the big "gotcha" moment was coming 50 minutes before it happened. There were TV shows I could've watched, or books to read, or I could've worked on my writing, instead I spent the evening watching a high-budgeted, well-directed/acted movie with a Lifetime movie script.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Watched this on the plane.

It was okay. Slightly worse than the first one, I think, but still fairly entertaining. It's basically more of the same outrageousness, which is fine, but it loses some of the surprise factor now that it's a sequel.

Pity what happened to Roxy though. She's hot.

Solo was fine, but it was every bit the movie Red Letter Media made a video making fun of all the stuff they expected them to shove into it. It does that prequel thing that SO many prequel movies do that's fucking annoying where the movie might as well be winking at the camera while they refer to stuff from later (chronologically) movies.

I wanted more of a train wreck than squarely mediocre.