[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

fade

Staff member
You guys have a habit of doing this stuff whenever I say i don't like something. These aren't "points I'm stuck on", they're just examples of endemic issues I had, not particular things I'm obsessed about or something. Also, the fixes are likewise just examples of how you might fix a particular issue. I knew someone was going to pick apart the extra required time, but it was simply meant to be illustrative. That was just one example of the infodumping I felt was woven throughout the movie.

That's fine, but sometimes you show and sometimes you tell, and that the movie told at times you might've shown or showed at times you might've told doesn't make all of those choices incorrect. It comes down to levels of egregiousness and not whether one or the other was used at all. You can have a moment where "we should've seen that, not been told about it" just as easily as "we didn't need to see that." And sometimes compromises between those exist. Even meting a story down to what's necessary, which could be assumed to be most efficient and direct, can have the unintended consequence of the story feeling mechanical and robbing the story's world of a sense of life.

It's all a matter of balance.

fade

Staff member
Yes, I get that. I can completely understand that concept yet still feel the movie overexplained things.

EDIT: especially in sci-fi. You aren't going to avoid explaining things. My complaints are made even taking this into account. But really, it's an opinion either way.

You guys have a habit of doing this stuff whenever I say i don't like something. These aren't "points I'm stuck on", they're just examples of endemic issues I had, not particular things I'm obsessed about or something. Also, the fixes are likewise just examples of how you might fix a particular issue. I knew someone was going to pick apart the extra required time, but it was simply meant to be illustrative. That was just one example of the infodumping I felt was woven throughout the movie.
And a lot of such complaints make me wonder if the OT hasn't aged that well, since a lot of the same complaints can be leveled at those movies too.

The biggest complaint that I think legitimately applies just to TLJ is that it subverted a lot of the elements of the OT in such a way as to undermine the nostalgia that fans had for those movies, which naturally doesn't feel very good to those fans. I absolutely believe that my son will prefer episodes 7-9 over the OT or the prequels as he grows to form his own opinions about these films.

All you folks talking about 'Bright' and not opening up with "Hoi, chummers" . . . . smh

I thought it was fine for what it is. I wish Will would push himself a little more acting wise. He is talented but friggin' lazy. I guess it's just too easy to stay in "Welcome to Earf!" mode.

p.s. Never make a deal with a dragon. Not even Dunkelzahn

Dave

Staff member
I rather liked "Bright". I had never seen it and probably wasn't going to based on reviews and such, but I've also heard some positives about it. I thought it was a good enough movie even though the bad guys were situationally inept. Against an army of gangsters they were unstoppable killing machines yet against the heroes they were slow and lost the ability to aim. It was kind of like watching "I, Elf".

And the sequel will be easy enough to write, probably delving more into the Elf world. I'd also like them to flesh out the history more.

even though the bad guys were situationally inept. Against an army of gangsters they were unstoppable killing machines yet against the heroes they were slow and lost the ability to aim. It was kind of like watching "I, Elf".
To be fair, the gangsters where not in a prophecy.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I hadn't watched this since it was in theaters, so almost four years. That was a mistake, because I forgot all but the general plot and just damn. Damn that is a good fucking movie. Probably the most grown-up of the MCU. Intelligent, intense, engrossing--and to think that before this came out, there was concern that Captain America was a one-hit wonder, that he couldn't work outside WWII, and here was this movie saying he's needed now more than ever. Making this a political thriller was a genius move, and the Russo brothers crafted an excellent film. I cannot wait to see what they've done for the next Avengers, because as much fun as I have at the sillier Marvel movies, I also want to see more stuff like this.

I hadn't watched this since it was in theaters, so almost four years. That was a mistake, because I forgot all but the general plot and just damn. Damn that is a good fucking movie. Probably the most grown-up of the MCU. Intelligent, intense, engrossing--and to think that before this came out, there was concern that Captain America was a one-hit wonder, that he couldn't work outside WWII, and here was this movie saying he's needed now more than ever. Making this a political thriller was a genius move, and the Russo brothers crafted an excellent film. I cannot wait to see what they've done for the next Avengers, because as much fun as I have at the sillier Marvel movies, I also want to see more stuff like this.
Except for the ensemble movies *for the most part* this is one of the reasons Marvel has been kicking ass. They've been making *insert genre* films, now lets add Superheroes.

Winter soldier is still my favorite marvel movie

Except for the ensemble movies *for the most part* this is one of the reasons Marvel has been kicking ass. They've been making *insert genre* films, now lets add Superheroes.
Let's see... they've had political thrillers with superheros, heist movie with superheroes, space opera with superheroes, wacky comedy with superheroes, WW2 period piece with superheroes, teen drama with superheroes... and of course, lots of sci-fi and action movies with superheroes.

What's missing? Romcom with superheroes, maybe? Arguably Deadpool counts, even though that's not MCU. Horror movie with superheroes will be the upcoming New Mutants. And no one's done a superhero musical so far, which I think is a shame.

Hell or High Water. What a great movie! Modern day Western. Great action. Great dialogue. Good acting. It was refreshingly good. They really nailed the Texas/Oklahoma feel. I still haven't seen Hidden Figures (it's next in my queue), but this was my favorite of the 2017 Oscar noms by far. Way more enjoyable than any of the rest. I couldn't finish La la land or Fences. I hated Hacksaw Ridge. Lion was okay. Manchester, Moonlight, and Arrival were depressing AF. Arrival would be my second favorite, but hot damn Hell or High Water was way more enjoyable! I dug Sicario which makes sense since it's the same writer.

The Light Between Oceans

A competently acted film, even if it's a bit dull. The story doesn't go anywhere interesting, but Fassbender, Vikander, and Weisz make you want to keep watching with their performances.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Directed by the dude that did The Lobster and while not AS out there as The Lobster, is none the less a fucking brilliantly tense psychological mind fuck of a movie. Stars Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman and is about a surgeon getting his family death cursed by a disturbed teenaged son of a man that died while he was operating on him. It was something else.

The Mountain Between Us. Should have skipped this one. I didn't even check the reviews before sticking this in the queue. Blinded by my affection for Heimdall and Luther.Not worth the time.

Captain Underpants movie

DAMN-I wish I saw this in theaters, super fun and a TOTAL nostalgia trip. It did its own story while ALSO putting in a BILLION references from the books!

I have that one set up in my Plex. Don't bother, huh? Shame.
The set-up is pretty great (as long as you suspend your disbelief), but the actors don't have chemistry. Elba and Winslet are both great actors, but they weren't great in this. Bad director, I guess.

Hitman's Bodyguard. Super fun crazy action adventure.

It. The kids were so great, but they short-changed Mike's story which is a shame. I didn't think the monster was scary except for the very first scene. The bad kids were super-bad for no reason in the movie, but is explained so much better explained in the book. My wife really liked it, and she hadn't read the book. The kids were so good I wish we had another movie with this group instead of the adults coming next.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
The Shape of Water

The greatest Abe Sapien prequel story of ALL time and NO-ONE CAN TELL ME THATS NOT WHAT IT IS!
I just watched this and while I think it's the same RACE as Abe, this is not Abe. But it was an okay movie. I didn't hate it, but it didn't change my life, either. One thing that surprised me was the sheer amount of nudity. It didn't bather me, but it just wasn't expected.

Oh I KNOW its not Abe...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut-
-Charley DID have a lady in the end didn't he? Whose to say they didn't have a son? ALSO-Abe liked eating EGGS in Hellboy! Thousand year eggs-BUT STILL!

...but...he had a dick! They said so in the movie! I figure it'd run on One Piece rules like Fishmen and humans.
I like how you think One Piece has rules.
I mean, I’ve probably watched 12 min total of OP, and even *I* get that they just make stuff up however it suits them.

—Patrick

I like how you think One Piece has rules.
I mean, I’ve probably watched 12 min total of OP, and even *I* get that they just make stuff up however it suits them.

—Patrick
Well yeah when it comes to Devil fruits but that's super power stuff, Oda's been pretty damn good at worldbuilding and lore as the series has started in '98.

fade

Staff member
The Boss Baby

I had to know. I mean, I've seen worse. The movie was rife with plot holes. Like the special formula. Didn't Boss have 5 babies working under him that all had access to the formula? They could get memos back and forth to Baby Corp, and Boss was slick...he couldn't get a bottle on the sly? If they had memory nullification, couldn't they just have used that on PuppyCo.? It's explicitly said (since it was a major plot point for the movie) that the BabyCorp babies lose their memories and revert to normal babies when they lose access to the special formula. So how come Frances remembers everything? They never explained that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Superman vs the Elite

Oh my gaaaaahd this movie is so TEDIOUS. I couldn't even finish it. You know what's worse than an origin story? MULTIPLE ORIGIN STORIES. For villains we've never heard of and will never hear from again after this movie. I ran out of "give a fuck" so fast in this movie it surprised even me. Blleeehhhhh.