Space Engineers

The above video is from the new development branch, a new feature was implemented that allows you to paste grids into voxels. Being a new feature its still a bit buggy but by the time they get to the next stable branch release I fully expect the problem to be solved.

Get ready for a spike in viewership, @GasBandit. Space Engineers is in the latest Humble Bundle.
Just picked up the bundle, so I finally have a reason to read this thread :p

I love that they added the option to select your own charities. I still donate to the AMF like I usually would, but I get videogames in exchange.

GasBandit

Staff member
Keen Software, I think it's finally time to admit that you aren't in alpha/beta any more. When you're included in HB, you're officially at the end of your sale cycle.[DOUBLEPOST=1470782515,1470782338][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah, looks like you're right, Ash.

HumbleBump.png

Keen Software, I think it's finally time to admit that you aren't in alpha/beta any more. When you're included in HB, you're officially at the end of your sale cycle.[DOUBLEPOST=1470782515,1470782338][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah, looks like you're right, Ash.
Yeah... unless it's a Greenlight Bundle, you basically need to admit you're ready for the big leagues.

Dave

Staff member
This actually makes me less likely to buy a Humble Bundle. If they put broken shit like this in their bundles, it makes me question all of it.

This actually makes me less likely to buy a Humble Bundle. If they put broken shit like this in their bundles, it makes me question all of it.
Half of the bundle is explicitly marked Early Access, with all the things that label implies. They're not trying to pull a fast one on you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, really, 4 bucks for all of it, including Space Engineers, isn't a bad deal at all. Heck, even in its broken state, I'd say SE is worth 4 bucks. I mean, I did put 600 hours into it, so how bad can it really be, right?

GasBandit

Staff member
Sovietwomble's mucking about in Space Engineers again, and it just further demonstrates that Cyanide is his clique's Terrik.

Played it briefly last night. Started a lone survivor in space. I wish there was a planet version of that WITHOUT a lander, but just a small base. But that's me.

STILL really addictive. Stayed up too late just having fun.

Good News! We have new multiplayer net code to test out, 3 different versions actually. Paper, Rock and Scissors are the three versions to choose from. In a few weeks with more testing, they should have in narrowed down to only one, and then they will fine tune and polish that version and it will be our new netcode.

Good News! We have new multiplayer net code to test out, 3 different versions actually. Paper, Rock and Scissors are the three versions to choose from. In a few weeks with more testing, they should have in narrowed down to only one, and then they will fine tune and polish that version and it will be our new netcode.
Given the "immediate crash bugs" in some of the support threads, I hope the testing will be a bit longer than that. Crashing all the time doesn't help test it, and just makes the least buggy initially come up as best, not the actual "best" for the code.

No matter what happens though, almost anything would be an improvement over what's in there now for netcode.

GasBandit

Staff member
Space Engineers is officially beta, as of today, with the 01.166 stable version patch. Now with new netcode!

Summary
Hello Engineers! Today, we are pushing all the features from last week’s enormous update to the stable branch. Just in case you missed the news, this includes the total block redesign, new multiplayer netcode, a tutorial campaign and much more! We wanted to make this great update available to all players as you’ve been asking for it all week! In combination with this today’s bug and crash fixes, you should be able to enjoy a stable gameplay experience. This update also marks the transition of Space Engineers moving to Beta phase.
The most important thing to remember with this announcement is that there is still more content, improvements and many optimizations to come. As an example, we can confirm that one of the things being worked on currently is a new HUD which should significantly increase your immersion in the game. Beta simply means that we feel the game now has a solid foundation. Some of the new models will be receiving adjustments because of feedback from the community. Multiplayer will be seeing more optimizations and improvements to make it run even better and make it more durable. These are just a few examples of areas still in need of attention.

Thanks to your votes last week, we made it into the top 100 of IndieDB’s Indie game of the year awards. Now, there is a second round of voting to decide the ultimate winner so we need your help by voting again even if you did last week. You can find Space Engineers under the futuristic sim category: http://www.indiedb.com/groups/2016-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote26095
Every vote counts!

Features
- Marek's blog post about Space Engineers Beta: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/12/space-engineers-entering-beta_15.html
- New Multiplayer netcode
- Total Block Redesign; every block has been completely reworked (textures/LODs/etc.)
- New and redesigned Tools and Weapons look
- New and redesigned look for Components, Voxels
- Physics improvements
- Render improvements
- Added Campaign containing 5 missions
- Added Voice Chat (dependent on antenna network, it can be enabled by pressing U)
- Added Magnetic Boots
- Drone AI Improvements (strafing, ramming when without ammo, can use static weapons, targeting, waypoints)
- Drive-by Turret shooting (shooting from turrets while moving with vehicles/ships)
- Improved building (block size is automatically picked by the grid that you are pointing to; you can change the size manually by pressing the block button on your toolbar again)
- Double Click makes a hand tool keep working continually
- Interacting with highlighted stuff by pressing LMB and interacting with control panel RMB (only with empty hands)
- Added Corner Lights, Corner LCDs (thanks Arindel!)
- Enabled interior lights for small ships
- Added Advanced Admin Tools in the Space Master menu (thanks Rexxar!)
- Redesigned permissions ingame, added new Scripter and Moderator roles
- Added Zoom function to all turrets
- Customizable Fonts
- Added ambient occlusion setting in the Graphics Options
- Decals are now visible from inside the Cockpits
- Voxel hand can be used by Space Master
- Added Steam Achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/244850/achievements/
- Raycast improvements (thanks Rexxar!): http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/new-camera-raycast-and-sensor-api.7389290/
- Created a new way for mods to store custom data inside entities: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/modapi-changes-12-8.7389842/
- Added new toggle for Sensor for detecting subgrids
- Added a new button to rotors that allows a small rotor head to be added
- Re-worked remote access menu to be more user friendly and accessible
- Added support for CompilationSymbols arguments in Teamcity
- Whitelisted items (so they can be edited in scripts to avoid conflicts)
- Added Monospace Font (thanks @Krypt! :) )
- Trees can now be cut down using the grinder/drill tool
- Added "Loading Wheel" when pasting a blueprint
- Added Workshop tag "Campaign"
- GitHub Updated

Fixes
- fixed crash while pasting specific blueprints on DS
- fixed ingame script finalizers crashing the game
- fixed rare crash related to Refinery
- fixed fire disappearing when shooting reactors, gravity generators, cockpits and other blocks
- fixed spotlight losing glare effect after being repainted
- fixed Vegetation View Distance not changing in game
- fixed personal light turning off when using remote control
- fixed phantom power drain when using merge block
- fixed outdated instructions in step 1 of tutorial 8
- fixed gun particles at close range
- fixed issue with conveyor sorter working even when turned off
- fixed rifle shooting constantly after entering the menu
- fixed thruster flame animation freezing
- fixed issue with copy/pasting station turning into ships
- fixed issue when welding solar panels
- fixed issue with ore spawns in rock
- fixed issue with voxel tearing and the wrong texture appearing
- fixed a part of the issue where only pressing C activates thrusters
- fixed the no clip part of the laser antenae
- fixed issue where the output angle for PBs did not show on LCD
- fixed mirroring issue with oxygen farm
- fixed mirroring issue with 3x3 wheels
- fixed mirroring issue with 5x5 wheels
- fixed mirroring issue with large antenna
- fixed mirroring issue with small conveyor frame
- fixed mirroring issue with small/large atmospheric thruster
- fixed mirroring issue oxygen generator
- fixed issue with dead bodies cluttering the server (improved sim speed)
- fixed crash at System.Array.Clear(Array array, Int32 index, Int32 length)
- fixed crash at System.Console.ReadKey(Boolean intercept)
- fixed crash at System.Text.StringBuilder.get_Chars
- fixed issues with loading the star system scenario
- fixed bug that was occurring when using welder on projection
- fixed issue with connectors not being locked on server restart
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.MultiplyBlockSkeleton
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyRefinery (Again)
- fixed crash during timerblock preview while trying to paste it
- fixed issue with ship pasted into voxels not turning into station
- fixed issue with procedural asteroids not rendering correctly
- fixed issue where you are unable to pick up objects in between doors
- fixed not being able to place text panel on the tip of the armor slope
- fixed issue where you were unable to place voxels over projections
- fixed issue which caused the local area grid bound to disappear
- fixed issue where pillar could be attached to armor slope block from the side
- fixed issue with ship Grinder/Welder blocks range
- fixed issue with Hydrogen Thrusters being added to ships and making them lose altitude in gravity
- fixed issue with warping sounds with large number of ship Grinders/Welders
- fixed issue with respawn ships appearing outside of world size limits
- fixed issue with ships spawning without a physical presence in worlds
- fixed issue with wheels not behaving properly when used in the Visual Scripting tool
- fixed issue where tools continued running even when entering into the menu
- fixed issue where blocks with "+" reverting to default block when changing grid size
- fixed issues where asteroids were not present in "Asteroid" scenario or spawned too far away
- fixed issue with projections casting shadows
- fixed issue with crosshair appearing when going into spectator mode while still in the cockpit
- fixed issue with thrusters acting dead (turned off) when locked to a grid with a landing gear
- fixed issue where players could change in to a space wolf while on survival using the med bay
- fixed crash at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException
- fixed space ball air tightness issue (no longer airtight)
- fixed issue with cargo ships not despawning
- fixed issue with explosions appearing pixelated and with squares on edges
- fixed issue where double clicking during the loading screen caused a crash
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.MultiplyBlockSkeleton
- fixed crash when pasting planet too close to yourself on a dedicated server
- fixed issue with certain blocks not being welded by the ship welder when using projector
- fixed issue with ThrustMultiplier property being disregarded in ModAPI.IMyThrust
- fixed issue where you are unable to control turrets from control panels on DS upon a character death
- fixed issue with pasted grids aligning themselves to grids locked with landing gear rather than grid being aimed at
- fixed issue where sound alert 2 was not working in visual scripting
- fixed issue where in the G-screen you were unable to grab the scrollbar with your mouse
- fixed issue with mirror mode planes causing a strobe effect when placed at the edge of grids
- fixed issue where particle effect while flying through space was not visible
- fixed issue where gatling guns were unable to target missiles (by slowing them down)
- fixed issue that 1x1 Window Inv is not part of the 1x1 Window face group
- fixed issue where the "red box" appeared when using the voxel hand tool in 1st person
- fixed issue with ctrl+scroll not working when using the voxel hand tool
- fixed issue with strafing and rolling while using the AZERTY keyboard (Hon hon hon!)
- fixed issue where moving your mouse during pause would shift your POV regardless
- fixed particle effect from bullet impact being too big and having too many sparks
- fixed some more the hard edgings on explosions
- fixed issue where snow particles from running were brighter than the snow on the ground
- fixed the ugly muzzle smoke from the rifle when firing
- fixed crash during launch when there is no audio device
- fixed 2 crashes related to Customizable Fonts
- fixed issue where tools would continue to run when bringing up the control panel
- fixed issue when adding a hydrogen thruster to ship made the dampeners behave incorrectly
- fixed issue with control panel message appearing briefly
- fixed mirroring issue with the small grid 5x5 wheel
- fixed issue where it was difficult to select a button on the control panel
- fixed issue where rotor displacement would not refresh when options were changed in the control panel
- fixed crash at Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.IsAabbInsideVoxel
- fixed crash at Game.Entities.Blocks.MyMechanicalConnectionBlockBase.Brea
- fixed crash Sandbox.Game.Entities.Cube.MyRefinery.ChangeRequirementsToResults
- fixed crash SharpDX.SharpDXException
- fixed the trash removal tool to function properly
- fixed issue with turrets targeting meteors through grids
- fixed issue were settings from Info tab from the control panel did not refresh even when changing save games
- fixed camera issue where exiting it would not preserve the POV
- fixed issue where landing gear would stay lit yellow even when turned off
- fixed issue where you were unable to paste when in Creative mode if you are not a admin
- fixed issue where on survival the transparent build preview when using "Lines" or "Grids" would not show
- fixed arm animations when holding gun in and viewing your character in 3rd person
- fixed issue where dying made you look into the center of the planet (very uncomfortable bright flashing colors)
- fixed issue with accuracy on guns not syncing up with the crosshair
- fixed minor issue where going into the menu gave you a slight upward boos when flying with jetpack
- fixed minor issue where interior turrets would remain collapsed when welding
- GitHub source code updated
- removed breathing, suffocating and oxygen sounds for creative mode
- increased number of characters for LCD panels to 100,000 characters
- rotors had their negative limits re-added ( Sorry for the blueprint issues that this may have/will cause)
- removed error message for 3D export function (ctrl+alt+e shortcut)
- ship drills are now working slightly faster
- reduced the amount of memory leaks and fixed issue with reloading save file increased the memory consumption
- hitting trees should no longer make the trees fly away into the atmosphere

We'll see... I've been told "we fixed the netcode " before. I will give it a shot, but if SE breaks my heart again, it might be the last time.
I'd say let it settle for a month then.

In the meantime, the texture and model updates are good, but I wish they hadn't REMOVED all of the old textures, as a significant number of mods relied on those to function and/or integrate in with the game. I wish they'd just kept the same asset name with new contents, but I also understand why they don't HAVE to either.

New "campaign" thing is kind of neat, but they could have done so much more IMO. It's more of a "this is a fun thing" rather than "here's a story-based intro on how to play" because it is NOT that. They made a big miss IMO on the "planet-based" part where you have to "fix" the ship. That should have been "you have a skeleton, and we'll walk you through what to do, but you actually get to BUILD things now" and maybe even be missing a component you need to mine for, so you're taught the refinery and assembler. This was much more primitive.

But still fun to go through... once.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd say let it settle for a month then.
That may be a good idea, the subreddit's already complaining about new issues with multiplayer cropping up.

Guess I'll let Subnautica raise and dash my hopes a couple more times while I wait for SE to get fixed up a little more!

In regards to the new multiplayer netcode, they had 3 versions they were testing and choose the best out of the 3 as the base for the new netcode. Plus the too the best features from the 2 netcode prototypes that failed and added those features (Magboots & in-game voice chat) to the "New Netcode". Right now with all the new model changes the game is a bit of a mess (which is to be expected with any major overhaul). The netcode will continue to become more and more stable over time, as they new coding takes full advantage of multi-core processing and also placing more load on the server rather than the client.

IMO it will take KSH at least the next 6 months to work out all the bugs form the new netcode. But that being said, they game should be a far improvement for what we were used to back in the old "Plains of Elysium" Days.

The only thing that's actually ANNOYING me right now (the pink mod stuff is gone, got patched) is that I have to kill the process after exiting. Something in the exit "doesn't take" (Deadlocks FTW!) so you have to kill it. Doesn't affect anything (it's after you're out of your saved game, so no corruption there either) but still annoying.

GasBandit

Staff member
From the subreddit, current state of the netcode:

Well, at least it isn't exploding now. And, allegedly, remote controlling in to tap a thruster for a moment causes it to reset to where it really is and calm its tits.

Does the game still crash every time you try to launch a new game? Because I'd love to play it some more, but I'm not wasting my time downloading something that's just gonna crash nonstop.

GasBandit

Staff member
Does the game still crash every time you try to launch a new game? Because I'd love to play it some more, but I'm not wasting my time downloading something that's just gonna crash nonstop.
Well, I haven't fired it up since october, but it didn't crash on me then.

I've actually been playing on a server as of late. And I can say this, they are far more stable than they were back when we used to play on Plains of Elysium.

GasBandit

Staff member
"The 5 kinds of engineers you will encounter in Space Engineers" by Last Stand Gamers floated across my youtube recommendations list yesterday. I was tempted to post a comment under it "You forgot number 6, the engineer who copies other people's creations, paints them a different color, makes some quick cosmetic changes, then makes a youtube video where he claims it's 'something he's been working on' without any mention or acknowledgement to the original author."

Dave

Staff member
"The 5 kinds of engineers you will encounter in Space Engineers" by Last Stand Gamers floated across my youtube recommendations list yesterday. I was tempted to post a comment under it "You forgot number 6, the engineer who copies other people's creations, paints them a different color, makes some quick cosmetic changes, then makes a youtube video where he claims it's 'something he's been working on' without any mention or acknowledgement to the original author."
So why don't you?[DOUBLEPOST=1484591459,1484591282][/DOUBLEPOST]I can't find the video. Did they delete it?

GasBandit

Staff member
So why don't you?[DOUBLEPOST=1484591459,1484591282][/DOUBLEPOST]I can't find the video. Did they delete it?
First and foremost I don't need the headache of dealing with the replies from fan boys. Second of all it was several months old so it's no longer topical. Which is probably also why you had a hard time finding it.