Space Engineers

According to 12 Million meters away (a block is a meter) and walking speed from that site of 4.3m/s, that's:
12,000,000 / 4.3 / 3600 (seconds per hour) / 24 (hours per day) = 32.30 days.

Still outrageous, but not years.
I think my calculation was the time to reach the actual edge of the world, not merely for "far lands."
Since then (1.8 and newer), the game has been patched to prevent you from actually going that far, presumably due to these rounding errors.

--Patrick

Well, the max speed in real space is 100m/s, and I don't think I've ever traveled more than 200km from center in any given SE game, but the real kicker is Jump Drives, which can allegedly cover up to 5000km instantly (with a 10 second countdown to jump and a recharge period), it's really easy to get out there where physics starts misbehaving.
With regards to Jump Drives, if you do a max jump it take time to fully recharge.

The test footage of the tank gives me hope for the physics engine. The main thing they're missing from their multiplayer test IMO (500ms ping is a good terrible-case test) is about 2-5% packet loss. Some things just do NOT handle that well at all, having an effect far beyond what you expect to have. (Personal work experience on this one)

Multithreaded Physics? I don't even want to think too hard about the difficulty of coding that. Crushingly difficult doesn't even begin to cover it IMO. If they succeeded, then well done.

Their demo of 16 red ships in the same game is impressive.

Multithreaded Physics? I don't even want to think too hard about the difficulty of coding that. Crushingly difficult doesn't even begin to cover it IMO. If they succeeded, then well done.

Their demo of 16 red ships in the same game is impressive.
I don't know. If they're just breaking up different facets, it might not be that hard if each thread gets dedicated to a particular task. E.g., in a collision, one thread deals with resultant vectors, one deals with deformation, one deals with particles (and direction), etc. and the graphics don't get updated until all of these are done, then on to the next frame, and so on.
If they're smart, they'll go for as many concurrent threads as they can, might finally show off what those relatively less expensive 8c/16t Ryzen chips can do.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Also I'm rather skeptical of the fact that that video shows thrusters not damaging blocks they're right up against, and wheeled rovers actually working. Something I understand they haven't even accomplished in single player.

Also also - pistons in multiplayer! THAT'LL be the day!

Also I'm rather skeptical of the fact that that video shows thrusters not damaging blocks they're right up against, and wheeled rovers actually working. Something I understand they haven't even accomplished in single player.

I guess they figured out rovers. Dunno about the thrusters stuff.

GasBandit

Staff member
For me, rule one of Space Engineers is never trust any footage you see on the official Space Engineers channel. Yes, they may work long enough for a 6 second segment in a jump cut montage... but that doesn't mean they won't fall through the world/self destruct under normal use.

GasBandit

Staff member
And on top of ALL that, the video shows someone welding a warhead onto somebody else's ship. That was not a thing you were allowed to do. Back when you COULD weld things onto other people's ships/bases, there was a problem with people just tacking their own cockpit to the outside and flying away with your stuff. So they disabled that.

Well I've been a playing Multiplayer since Plains of Elysium, and I've had a real go with the new multiplayer and I can say for a fact that this is playable, and what you see in the video is as advertised.
Post automatically merged:

Thruster Damage - Thruster will do damage to blocks, but its not as quick as it was back in the day. it takes a minute or more for the block to degrade, but at some point a thruster will destroy a block.

Rovers - Wheeled rovers work, they fixed the wheel issue a two patches ago, but the multiplayer coding was still making them derpy in multiplayer, but that is not longer an issue. The biggest issue with rovers in not flipping them over.

Single Player - Yea in a Vanilla game there is fuck all to do, but thankfully we have a good modding community that has created some good mods such as procedural enemies, ship, and base (land and space) but you still have to set your own goal.

Pistons - They actually fucking work! Three patches ago they changed up the mechanic and clang is no longer a things with pistons. They work as intended. Hell I use them frequently these days.

Rotors - Rotors work as intended, providing you set them up correctly. the only way the fuck up is if you have the wrong settings.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Thruster Damage - Thruster will do damage to blocks, but its not as quick as it was back in the day. it takes a minute or more for the block to degrade, but at some point a thruster will destroy a block.
I'm not sure I would like that change. I don't like cheesy "hide your thrusters inside your armor" designs, and this also limits their "offensive blowtorch" emergent gameplay.

I'm not sure I would like that change. I don't like cheesy "hide your thrusters inside your armor" designs, and this also limits their "offensive blowtorch" emergent gameplay.
Well take hydrogen thrusters for example, people like to build Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica ships with hidden hydrogen thrusters. They usually do this with the thruster damaged turned off.

So take this blueprint for example: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1465466451&searchtext=

If you load this ship into a standard world, with in about 45 seconds the hidden hydrogen thrusters starts ripping this ship apart due to thruster damage. Now it does it even faster if you start moving. The way this ship is built even some of the Ion do damage to the surrounding blocks. The thruster damage mechanic is still there, it's just not the instance damage those of use have been playing for years remember for when it was first introduced. Active thrusters do damage faster than idle thrusters. Though blast door blocks are totally immune to thruster damage.