Space Engineers

GasBandit

Staff member
Space Engineers is addictive as all hell. Minecraft in space with working spaceships! Dig ore by hand to build a ship to dig faster for you to get materials to build a ship with guns and turrets to shoot your friends!

I just wish there were explosions when reactors were destroyed.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Playing space engineers on public servers has turned me into a Space Pirate. The asteroids on the server I was playing on were few and far between, only one cluster marked on the beacon and it's a death zone with people murdering each other just for another liter of magnesium. It was easier to scavenge the meat from the bones of dead bases and ships floating in the void. Uranium is particularly hard to come by. Some other guy tried to run me over with his ship, I jumped in mine and fired up the drill and rammed his cockpit, going full bore (literally), killing him. But then as I scavenged the remains a meteor shower hit and destroyed my ship, along with all the cargo.

Over time I managed to build a base floating in the void off the beaten path, and through my scavenging managed to equip it with a few gun turret defenses. I heard a team of people bragging how they were laying claim to the central asteroid cluster (the only one with a marked beacon, mentioned above), so I welded a gatling gun to the roof of my drill ship's cockpit and went a-raiding. When I was done I let em know who did it, too.

Late in the evening, I powered down all nonessential base systems to preserve uranium fuel, ammo'd up and then powered up my defense turrets (you have to be careful because there is no friend/foe distinction on turrets these days... they target anything that moves including who built them! So turn them on from a safely obscured control panel). Went to bed.

Checked on it again this morning. Mother. Fucking. Meteor shower. Devastated my base, ship destroyed, lost my refinery and half my armor/structure and even a turret. Other turrets were dry of ammo, so apparently it was a bad night for meteors. At least the cargo bay survived. Gathered up what booty I could carry in a temporary noobship and deposited it in the undefended base of a rival I'm pretty sure I can raid again later. Abandoned the base. Flew around, found a ship seemingly flying in circles loaded with uranium and various expensive parts. Deposited that in the easy-to-raid rival base, too. Hopefully it won't give him such a head start he actually can build defenses.

Now my search is on for a new place to call home. I gotta be smart this time... no space-garages floating in the unknown void, subject to the whim of passing meteors. This time I gotta find an asteroid to build inside/on the leeward side of, sheltering from the storms. Then once I'm established again... back down to business.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wish I could go pirating with you.
Well, the steam sale is over, but you can still get it for 20 bucks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

Bear in mind it's Alpha/Early Access. There are issues, unfinished parts, etc etc. The net code is REALLY unoptimized right now and server lag is frequently an irritation. Forget trying to get two clients playing together without a server, it's just not there yet (I tried with a friend). But on a beefy dedicated server, it's playable.

Resonance

But I give up. There's an absolutely infuriating and unintutive puzzle about halfway through the game where you have a trick an automated crane arm to grab the wrong box. Even after reading how to do it online (which involves a bit of math), I still can't bloody well figure out how to do it.

So screw it. I give up.

Well... @GasBandit got me playing Space Engineer too. After a steep learning curve (I'd never played Minecraft and it's kind of like this) , I'm finally getting some progress in my single player training session. Here's my first ship being built.

ship resize.jpg

It's a bit rough and unfinished. It just need cobalt, nickle, and platinum for parts and then some Uranium to run it and I'll be in business. However, gathering those materials is a bit of a pain... I can get the nickle and platinum within my platforms gravity field but I'll have to explore for the cobalt and that means grabbing it in zero-g (it flies everywhere). Uranium is in the same boat as Cobalt but at least I know where it is. But once it's done, I'll have a MUCH easier time of getting minerals, thanks to the drill and mineral finder.

So... my first launch had the ship immediately roll onto it's belly and then explode, killing me with it. I have no explanation for WHY it did this, unless the Artificial Mass generator did it. As such, I'm working on something even simpler. Thankfully I was able to recover most of what I lost... which is good because I had to spend 2 hours looking for a platinum vein to make the thrusters.

Should I be turning off the artificial gravity of the platform before I launch? Maybe that is what made it roll.

Once I have a successful launch, I may consider multiplayer. Maybe get a Halforums Federation of Space Loonies going or something.

GasBandit

Staff member
is there a way to speed up refining? it takes forever.
change the settings of your save game to x10 refining speed. everybody does it. Do x10 inventory space, too. you can do that from the "Load game" screen.

Also, just FYI, drilling/welding/grinding by hand takes forever. As soon as you can, try to fit a drill bit on your ship, then an ore detector. Then build a small skiff you can equip to weld, and if you need to do mass grinding, hand-grind away the welder and build a ship grinder in its place. Until you get the ore detector, you can find minerals by the color of the rock. Especially watch out for black rock, that's uranium, which is vital.

So... my first launch had the ship immediately roll onto it's belly and then explode, killing me with it. I have no explanation for WHY it did this, unless the Artificial Mass generator did it. As such, I'm working on something even simpler. Thankfully I was able to recover most of what I lost... which is good because I had to spend 2 hours looking for a platinum vein to make the thrusters.

Should I be turning off the artificial gravity of the platform before I launch? Maybe that is what made it roll.

Once I have a successful launch, I may consider multiplayer. Maybe get a Halforums Federation of Space Loonies going or something.
Yes, the artificial mass did it. You gotta turn it off when not actively needing it. It works different from gravity generators. Also make sure you have at least one gyro and two thrusters pointed in every direction.

Especially if you are using a small ship with a drill... you definitely need 5 gyros, and 2 thrusters in each direction just to keep the shaking down under the point where you turn into a pinball.

Last edited:
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father

Goddamn this is still a great game 20 years later. The voice acting alone is worth the price of admission, but the puzzles are also great. Of course, given that I've played and beat it so many times, I know most of the puzzles by heart now, but it's still fun to play.

I'm both excited and wary of the upcoming remake that Jensen's making.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's the more-or-less complete "GasBandit's Battlewagon". I just need to scrounge up grav parts for the gravity generator, and ammo for the weapons. I'm not sure which will pose the bigger problem at this point. I'll probably also be sticking on more engines, because its acceleration is pretty abysmal. It's super-massive because all the armor is heavy armor.

It's got 4 gatling turrets which autotarget any moving object (even me, so I have to remember to turn them off before I get out!), and a conveyor-fed rocket launcher. I wish I could have conveyor-fed the turrets, too, but there was no way to accomplish it in such a small space, and I wanted to keep the ship compact enough to hide behind/inside an asteroid.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is there a way to transfer ores from Drill into the refinery?
Yes. If the drill and refinery are on the same ship, you can use a conveyor system. Connecting the "doors" on the various parts with conveyor tubes will make the stuff inside go where it is most logical to go, so long as you have a conveyor unit somewhere attached in the line. It doesn't even have to touch the tube so long as it's door-to-door with something that is (or something that is door to door with something that is door to door with... etc).

If the refinery and the drill are on different structures, you can use a connector on each structure to "mate" the two cargo systems, and transfer stuff across inventory from any control panel or cockpit as if they were all one vessel. Or, you can set up a collector on the ship/station with the refinery which catches things that free-fall into it, and put an ejector on your small drill ship (an undocked collector can also do this) and the ejector can jettison (at about 1m/s) anything you want, letting it float in a straight line... ideally into the collector.

A conveyor setup is a monumental time saver. If you have a smaller "Large" ship with a refinery, drill, assember, and conveyors connecting them all, you can set up a production queue, go drilling, and as the ores are collected by your drill they will automatically funnel through the conveyor to the refinery, which will then put the processed ores into the assembler, which will then build the items you queued.

The reason ship-mounted welders and grinders are faster, btw, is because they are AE, and can hold more parts in inventory than you can.

GasBandit

Staff member
ok. Time to build a huge ass mining monster.
If I might make a recommendation, start over. Start on the "Asteroid Survival" level.
It starts you out with a large ship with a functioning conveyor, refinery, assembler, etc, but only 5 units of uranium. So you have to scramble for uranium by hand at first, but once you get out of emergency "I'm going to die" mode, it's very easy to mount a big drill on the front of that sucker, and hook it up to the conveyor. It makes for an excellent drill ship, I find. Especially if you put several drills on the front.

After 4 hours mining, I have build a 250k kg ship with 9 large drills, refinery and assembly and 2 large cargo bays. I mine so fast, that the refinery cant keep up.

We should probably just make a Space Engineer thread at this point.

2014-07-02_00002.jpg

This was my second attempt. The drills mysteriously vanished before I get it to drill. I suspect that the reverse thrusters melted them, so I moved them to the bottom. They then proceeded to melt two of my conveyor tubes.

2014-07-02_00005.jpg

So I moved them to the front and armored a few of the conveyor tubes in case the thrusters weren't the problem. I then went out to try again...

2014-07-02_00004.jpg

Success this time! The only problem is that the ship is a bit bigger than the area that the drills cover so I can't go too deep without backing out and expanding the hole a bit. Still, I came back with several tons of uranium and silicon, so I'll take the success.

So my options now are:

- Try building a large style ship.
- Building a gunship.
- Go straight to multiplayer.

I'll be honest, I had no interest in Space Engineers before, but right now it's looking intriguing. Not even Minecraft interested me in this way.

You shut your damn mouth.
This really does feel like the evolution of Minecraft. The ability to work in full 3d without mods, the ability to build ships, and then the fact that you are FORCED to fight other players for the scant resources you can find fundamentally changes how the game plays. No longer are you building monuments to your own ego just because... you are building fortifications and weapons to prevent rival players from taking what is yours. It's like DayZ, except that your aren't being an asshole for no reason. You do it to live.

Plus it has a lot of functionality built right in. Even in beta it's pretty well done. It could use a few changes and it definitely needs mod support, but it's pretty great.

GasBandit

Staff member
SpaceEngineers_2014-07-02-21-32-43-099_FinalScreen.png

So here is the finished battlewagon. I had to ditch the side turrets for the same "reverse thrusters" problem Ashburner was having. But I managed to figure out a way to get a conveyor feed to the dorsal turret, so now it can load itself forever and I only have to manually load the ventral turret. It also has a rocket launcher mounted pointing forward. So, having completed my pirate monstrosity, I went hunting.

It was surprisingly slim pickings tonight. Everybody was keeping to themselves. Then some poor fool turned on his ship's beacon, and it was right next to a "private sail" npc craft. Obviously, he was jumping out of his ship to try to board the Sail and wanted to be able to find his way to his ship again. I'd done that a few times myself, with Commercial Shipment vessels. Ironically enough, I usually score 50 or so extremely redundant hand drills for my trouble, but that's another story. So I traveled there... and watched him kill himself Just as I arrived. DOH.

The lag in multiplayer, even on a dedicated server, makes boarding any vessel at speed almost impossible. I decided I'd take the ship, but I had to find a way to stop it (Sails travel much faster than the fat, slow, defenseless Business Shipment vessels). Well, here I sat in probably one of the most heavily armored ships in the system, so I carefully pulled ahead into the Sail's path, and turned the inertial dampeners back on.

In retrospect, although using my cockpit's crosshairs to verify alignment helped get it right, I should have turned at the last moment to avoid the point of impact being my cockpit window. The nose of the sail lanced through the bulletproof glass like... well, a lance, and smashed me to flash-frozen paste, destroying my control chair.

Fortunately, my medbay is inside the ship too (it's a wonder of efficient useage of space in there, I tell ya), so I respawned immediately still within my ship. Someone in the chat window said, "Well, that's one way to do it" and I realized my intended prey had come back and had been watching my attempt. Quickly, not trusting him around my now crippled and rudderless battlewagon, I accessed the ship systems through the reactor control panel and activated my turrets. I heard the turrets fire, but knew he wasn't dead, I saw him through the ruins of my cockpit window that he had scurried behind cover. Unfortunately I had been carrying my assault rifle on me when I died, so it had disappeared, and I didn't have a spare on board (I'll have to remember to fix that next time), so I jabbed open my door hatch, readied my tools, and started to creep around my ship slowly, making sure to keep out of line of sight of the turrets.

As I came outside, I saw the devastation. Aside from the cockpit, my ship was merely dented and completely intact. However, almost the entire front half of the Private Sail had been destroyed against my armor, and the remains were twisted up with me, solar panels and other debris warped around my battlewagon's pill-shaped hull. I moved carefully around to the aft of the Sail wreckage and found my quarry trying to work his way through the rear entry of the sail to what used to be its interior (but was now very much exterior. The fool was trying to grind his way through the door instead of opening it, or perhaps it wouldn't open from damage. In any case, he never saw me sneaking up behind him with my own angle grinder... and before he knew what happened, I had sliced him as thoroughly as a christmas ham.

I decided to leave the turrets active to dissuade any other looky-loo types who might wander by, and also to shoot down incoming meteors (the meteors on this server as previously mentioned are frequent and frickin laser-guided). I finished grinding through the door and made my way into the not-so-interior.

Unfortunately, it looked like the cargo bay must have been in the fore part of the craft, as it was nowhere to be found. The reactor was intact, however, so I took all the uranium from it and ground down the nearby gyroscope to score a sweet thousand steel plate. Then I used the reactor's control panel to edit the title of the ship's beacon to "Wreckage of the Private Sail that GasBandit trashed" - it was continuing to function because enough solar panels had survived to keep it going.

Not wanting to press my luck with any further meteor showers (and I'm still not made of magnesium, you know, so ammo must be husbanded), I returned to my ship and got spare parts out of the cargo bay enough to rebuild the command chair. Unfortunately, I had not stocked any bulletproof glass, so I had the interesting experience of flying back to my secret construction site exposed to the void.

The battlewagon is patched up once more, and ready for action, but that was enough for one night for me. The cat was also getting irritated at being ignored so much lately.

Last edited:
Did some experimenting tonight in Space Engineer. Here's the ship I built for it and the target I used.

2014-07-03_00002.jpg

So the idea was to build a fast, heavily armored fighter. Well I got the heavily armored part down. Because the entire outer hull is heavy armor, the mass is enormous. As such, it gets to speed VERY SLOWLY and can't stop very well ether. This tells me that I'll want bigger engines on any fighters I build because the small ones just don't do the job with heavy armor. Also, I had a connector on the bottom which was part of a conveyor network but it refused to connect to my refinery connector. Not sure what that means... are connectors aware of what they are networked to?

Anyway, I was testing weapons tonight. The target is Large Light Armor. First up was the missile launcher.

2014-07-03_00003.jpg

A single missile was able to destroy 3 blocks and heavily damage all but one of the rest. Not too shabby. Next up is the Gatling guns.

2014-07-03_00004.jpg

Not quite as effective. 700 rounds (5 boxes) was able to completely destroy 3 boxes and mildly annoy the surrounding ones. Gatling guns are NOT good anti-ship weapons unless you have a lot of them and a lot of ammo.

Still a productive night. I might need to join Gasbandit soon though... I'm quickly running out of things to do by myself that don't involve me welding for an hour.

GasBandit

Staff member
@GasBandit
what server are you playing on?
I wish there was a way to favorite/manually enter server info, but if there is I haven't found it yet. So basically you'll have to scroll through the damn list until you find:

World: VPS Dedicated|Dallas Public Sur
Server: TX Public Survival
Max players: 25

Mousing over it tells me the IP address is 74.91.126.160:27023 . But as I said, I don't see anwhere to put that in manually, nor favorite it. Must not be implemented yet.

The server is set up to have scarce asteroids to force conflict. There's one clump of asteroids with a beacon that says "Asteroids (900, 900, 900)" and the others are all within 20km of that, allegedly. Add me on steam, why dontcha. As I understand it, steam friends can "invite" each other to join the public server they're currently playing on.

Also, this server (like most I'm told) goes down for mainenance/cleanup of the map every morning at 5:30 eastern. Any player-built structure that doesn't have a beacon (doesn't have to be finished or turned on) and 6 non-armor components gets erased as debris. This is for the sake of server performance and map size. So if you want to save something from the space kraken, start a beacon on it (but you don't have to complete it, so you don't have to use expensive comm parts on it)

The server will start you out in a small ship with a cargo bay that contains enough equipment to build a station-grade small reactor and a medbay. If you build a medbay (and it has power) you will respawn there when you die, and currently logging out of the world acts like dying - in dying and logging out, it empties your personal inventory, and your noobship also despawns. If you don't have a medbay you will respawn/log back in back at the starting point with a new noobship, cargo and all.

There are X, Y, and Z beacons on this server, so looking around at them and reading the distance to them will tell you your current coordinates on the map, and you can navigate that way. Make sure if you build/stand still for any long period of time, you do it in the shadow of an asteroid - meteors always come from the direction of the sun, and they are devastatingly frequent and accurate. As you look at asteroids you'll see the sunny side of them is absolutely ravaged with craters and pock marks. That's not from drilling.

One last thing - almost anybody you meet on the server will shoot first and probably not ask questions. So it would behoove you to do the same.

Last edited:
Bought Space Engineers last night. I have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing. At all. We'll see how much time I have today to watch the tutorial video.

Bought Space Engineers last night. I have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing. At all. We'll see how much time I have today to watch the tutorial video.
Yeah, you need t watch the tutorial video to give you a clue of how things works. It helps a ton.

More testing in Space Engineer!

rammng.jpg

So I figured I'd try ramming tonight. This is what that grey fighter I made did to the target at about 30 m/s at a mass of 16 tons. And what do you get? More damage than a rocket and only superficial damage to the ship. I lost my reverse engines and front landing gear but still impressive. So I figured "Hey... why not toss in a large generator and bigger engines to see what THAT'LL do?" So I did that and tossed on some heavy armor to protect the jutting gen.

ship explosion.jpg

The results were slightly better... except one thing: my ship exploded because the large gen took damage. Apparently armor works by depending on re-enforcement from surrounding armor blocks. If you only have one layer and try to ram... boom.

Lunatic Mode is so fucking frustrating though. Getting out of the starter missions alone made me say "FUCK IT!" more than once.