Space Engineers

That might push it into a level of complexity that will just assure it doesn't get considered at all. And really, I'm pretty sure 99% of the blocks are made specifically to be flame retardant anyway. I don't accept the premise that a fire turret "trap" would be "cheap." In a similar configuration, the existing interior turret would be pretty much just as deadly, even potentially at longer range. I'm thinking the flamethrower would only be effective up to 3 or 4 large blocks' distance. Interior turrets are already fatal to players within 3 seconds at 800m if movement is restricted.
I meant cheap as in price, not as it effectiveness. You will ALWAYS have hydrogen on hand to fuel a flame thrower, but there are stages of the game where bullets are at a premium or where you really need to make rockets instead.

Well this weeks patch, they made some tweaks, that threw scripts for a curve. Nothing major, just requires some minor changes to the scripts, so I'll have to wait for the script writers to get them fixed.

I'm waiting for them to fix the memory leak from drilling before I get back into it again.
I haven't noticed any memory leaks since for the last few patches. If you talking about drilling, its been changed to more of a pulse now, it really cuts down on server lag.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't noticed any memory leaks since for the last few patches. If you talking about drilling, its been changed to more of a pulse now, it really cuts down on server lag.
I haven't tried in a couple patches, but it got real bad, such that even in single player if I drilled more than 15-30 seconds continuously, the game would crash. I did notice it's a "pulse" now where voxels only disappear every couple seconds, though. Which I don't like. The whole thing just screams bad programming but hey - that's Space Engineers, right :p

Mostly bug fixes, but we do get an improvement for the rotor/piston safety lock to help keep connected ends from flying off.

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy Shit I things we just got new netcode this week!
WAT[DOUBLEPOST=1458241753,1458241628][/DOUBLEPOST]It says all blocks are now rewritten to the "new MP" but it doesn't actually seem to say if this is the release of the new MP backend they've been teasing for 2 years.

GasBandit

Staff member
From what I have heard, the latest patch, whose central focus was on improved netcode, made multiplayer perform even worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, if you need tutorials, I got your hookup.

And yeah, I can always tell when Space Engineers goes on sale or has a free weekend:

sesale.png

GasBandit

Staff member
There's been some controversy lately regarding the very popular youtube channel Last Stand Gamers which is a very prolific Space Engineers channel. Apparently he's been taking other people's designs and passing them off as his own, after minor cosmetic alterations.

Last edited:
From what I have heard, the latest patch, whose central focus was on improved netcode, made multiplayer perform even worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, if you need tutorials, I got your hookup.

And yeah, I can always tell when Space Engineers goes on sale or has a free weekend:

View attachment 20862
Multiplayer is a work in progress. Last week they made it where your characters movements are done server side then transferred to the client, this eliminates you from phasing threw walls and dying. For space great, planets (needs work as planets in multiplayer are not unplayable, but are more trouble than it worth (this week anyway)) not so much.

We should get more stabilization this Thursday.

Right now I'd say we could do a Plains of Elysium style map, with several sectors and maybe even one planet or huge asteroid for Elysium itself. And as long as we keep mods to a minimum and have a reasonable tool, weapons and block (or triangle count) limit, I think we'd be perfectly fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
So what's the advantage of the larger one, then? Less reloading?

--Patrick
Well, not exactly. Both the turret and the fixed launcher can hold about 30 missiles. But it used to be that the turret could only fire once every few seconds, whereas the fixed launcher fired several times each second. That was supposed to be the trade-off for having to fix your aim down the axis of the (large, ponderous) ship, which was slower to turn than a turret. But now that their firing rates are similar, the only advantage the fixed launcher has is that it doesn't have to protrude from the hull and have a 9 block "buffer zone" around it where nothing else can be built. Not really much of an incentive, if you ask me.

It also shifts some of the balance of power to small ships, since small ship rocket launchers (both reloadable and non) fired at the slower rate, which now the large ship launcher matches. However, the small ship launchers can only hold 4 missiles, so I guess there is some reloading advantages to the large launcher.

But I still say this was not what needed balancing about weapons.

Obscure reference:
"Damage Report"
"Believe me, you don't want to know."
"[sigh]... That's what I thought."

Well with patch 1.139 we now have a "Stable Build" which will only be update once a month, and a development build (1.140) which will be update weekly.

So maybe we can finally get some PvP servers going again.

Hey GasBandit, do you think Dernabit will ever start Plains of Elysium back up again?

GasBandit

Staff member
Well with patch 1.139 we now have a "Stable Build" which will only be update once a month, and a development build (1.140) which will be update weekly.

So maybe we can finally get some PvP servers going again.

Hey GasBandit, do you think Dernabit will ever start Plains of Elysium back up again?
I couldn't say. Sadly, he and I haven't kept in touch since PoE closed down.

I've noticed that a lot of the image links in this post are dead (not surprising give how old the post is). I noticed that a lot of the images were post to imgur, I'm wondering if everyone could make it where we could see everyones old imgur images.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure what we can do, truthfully. I tell people we've got room to host files but it's easier to link to them. I'm really guilty of this myself.

Not sure what we can do, truthfully. I tell people we've got room to host files but it's easier to link to them. I'm really guilty of this myself.
I imagine a plug in that automatically pulls in linked picture/gifs/files and rehosts them would be a disaster security-, trademark-, bandwidth and space-wise.

GasBandit

Staff member
I imagine a plug in that automatically pulls in linked picture/gifs/files and rehosts them would be a disaster security-, trademark-, bandwidth and space-wise.
We actually did have an automatic rehosting plugin in use briefly after the switch to the new server, but it absolutely borked some of the other media embeds and caused some other problems.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I figured out the error on my pictures from page 2 or so was that I linked the pictures directly from my steam profile, and apparently steam's changed the url structure of their cloud-hosted files. So... they're still retrievable from my steam profile's screenshots, if you really wanna dig for them.. But be warned, they were, like, the first screenshots I put there, and there's like 150 now.

I'm not suggesting we host all the picture on here. But for example I have quite a few pictures on Imgur, but most were not accessible to the general public in a complete gallery. What I'm suggesting is if people are using Imgur or similar sites, the create a master gallery, with all their photos in it. This way if similar events happen again, we still can go back and see missing images.

Dave

Staff member
I get ya. I thought you were trying to get to images from earlier and were lamenting the fact. You're talking about getting together some sort of localized repository.