*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

figmentPez

Staff member
3 dead, 8 injured in shooting at Michigan high school

Three of those wounded are in critical condition.

A 15-year-old suspect is in custody.

I heard about the shooting because this tweet showed up on my timeline under the subject of "Movies"...

I saw the news about it last night, but until this post didn’t realize it was only about 10min from where I used to live.

—Patrick

This was the video I first saw, before I knew it was (semi-)local.
When they say to close the door and let nobody in, THEY MEAN NOBODY.

--Patrick

So the parents of the kid in the last shooting are being charged too with manslaughter. No one in charge at that school should escape with their jobs either. Everyone with power over that kid knew something was going to happen. His mom knew it was him while it was happening yet he still had easy access to weapons.

Dave

Staff member
So the parents of the kid in the last shooting are being charged too with manslaughter. No one in charge at that school should escape with their jobs either. Everyone with power over that kid knew something was going to happen. His mom knew it was him while it was happening yet he still had easy access to weapons.
So what was going on was:

• The dad bought the weapon 4 days before the shooting. On Facebook, mom posted that it was the kid's Christmas present.
  • The kid was caught googling ammo at school by another kid and was reported. His mom's response? "LOL! Next time don't get caught."
  • The kid drew a picture of a gun with the words "The thoughts won't stop. Help me". The teacher reported it.
  • Another picture that said "blood everywhere" and had a person shot up on it. With a laughing emoji under it. This was reported with the first picture.
  • Another note found by the kid said "My life is useless" and "The world is dead." Reported.
  • When news of the shooting came out, his mom texted him, "Ethan, don't do it."
  • His father found the gun to be gone and notified 911.
  • The gun had been kept loaded in a bedside table unlocked.
Some of this I don't mind. Like the parents taking the kid to the gun range. But he is too young to legally own a firearm. Googling ammo isn't a big deal for a kid whose parents gifted him a gun and took him to a shooting range. The pictures and threats, though? Absolutely should have been taken care of. The parents had Olympic levels of self denial if they didn't notice what was going on and were doubtless also to blame that this was allowed to occur since they legally purchased a weapon to illegally give it to a minor. And then, of course, they instructed their son to not cooperate and they themselves not only didn't cooperate, but have now fled the city to an undisclosed location, which innocent people usually do.

The kid is fucked, the parents are fucked, the situation is fucked. But nothing will change and the US will go on without and deviation. If killing a classroom of elementary kids won't change anything, why would a few high schoolers matter? Besides, he was one disturbed white kid, which means the angle taken will be mental health.

Thoughts and prayers, everyone.

Pretty much, @Dave . That's about where this country is, and I'm sorry for people who need to worry about a future for upcoming generations here.

Apparently the parents are on the lam after the announcement they would be charged for involuntary manslaughter. Took out $4k and didn't show up for their arraignment.

Last edited:
Apparently the parents are on the lam after the announcement they would be charged for involuntary manslaughter. Took out $4k and didn't show up for their arraignment.
They've been arrested after their car was found in Detroit.

How long before *these* award-winners become the new darlings of the fascist right?

figmentPez

Staff member
How long before *these* award-winners become the new darlings of the fascist right?
I just assume that they are already. People are probably hard at work spinning this shooting as a fight against vaccines, or righteous self-defense against the intellectual elite who are brainwashing students.

It’s gonna take a little more work to spin it, since they didn’t drill their son well enough on distinguishing the proper skin col…er, I mean “accuracy.”

—Patrick

I do that every time I leave a Walmart. No joke.

I've (almost) never left a Walmart without stealing something.

Reactions: Cat
Lawyer files $100M lawsuit against district & staff on behalf of shooting survivors.

On one hand, I totally get it and feel like the administrators were too lax in their duty to protect the school from someone showing serious signs of violent tendencies. On the other hand, it looks like the lawsuit also wants to sue all of his teachers for not catching it sooner (even though 2 of them reported the shooter's violent writings, drawings, and online searches for ammo). What is the goal? To make every person who works at a school responsible for every bad action any student takes?

Obviously as a professional teacher I'm incredibly biased here, but I feel like that was a bit too far.

Lawyer files $100M lawsuit against district & staff on behalf of shooting survivors.

On one hand, I totally get it and feel like the administrators were too lax in their duty to protect the school from someone showing serious signs of violent tendencies. On the other hand, it looks like the lawsuit also wants to sue all of his teachers for not catching it sooner (even though 2 of them reported the shooter's violent writings, drawings, and online searches for ammo). What is the goal? To make every person who works at a school responsible for every bad action any student takes?

Obviously as a professional teacher I'm incredibly biased here, but I feel like that was a bit too far.
While I don't feel like PatrThom's response is wrong, but I wonder if more lawsuits like this will be the steps to finally make some gun control changes. A lot of the reason we can shrug off these tragedies is no one gets held responsible, except MAYBE the shooter, if they're alive. I heard that the parents are getting charged, which honestly should happen with any shooting involving an under-18 shooter. They gave their child access to guns; these things don't happen in a bubble. I feel bad that the teaching staff is getting thrown under the bus for this, and I'm not entirely confident these is the right people to blame for the issue, but when people can be held responsible, will it make others take more steps to prevent further events and lawsuits?

While I don't feel like PatrThom's response is wrong, but I wonder if more lawsuits like this will be the steps to finally make some gun control changes. A lot of the reason we can shrug off these tragedies is no one gets held responsible, except MAYBE the shooter, if they're alive. I heard that the parents are getting charged, which honestly should happen with any shooting involving an under-18 shooter. They gave their child access to guns; these things don't happen in a bubble. I feel bad that the teaching staff is getting thrown under the bus for this, and I'm not entirely confident these is the right people to blame for the issue, but when people can be held responsible, will it make others take more steps to prevent further events and lawsuits?
I agree with this as far as prosecuting the parents, but lets be realistic here. The only thing half our government cares about less than schoolkids bleeding out is schoolkids getting an education that they didn't directly pay for. Punishing schools will just take away from the no money we're already giving them.

I agree with this as far as prosecuting the parents, but lets be realistic here. The only thing half our government cares about less than schoolkids bleeding out is schoolkids getting an education that they didn't directly pay for. Punishing schools will just take away from the no money we're already giving them.
Public schools will get fucked no matter what, at least for once there will be a consequence for enabling a mass murderer