*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Dave

Staff member
And then there's this:

Olivarez told KENS 5 that once a tactical team arrived, they shot Ramos.

Police officers rushed into the school to get their own children out of the school, he added.

The sickening tragedy left at least 19 children and two adults dead.

“There was some police officers, families trying to get their children out of the school because it was an active shooter situation right now, it’s a terrible situation right now,” Olivarez said. “And of course just as we mentioned the loss of life is just terrible, it’s a terrible tragedy that took place.”
So not only did the cops not do anything, they got their OWN kids out while doing nothing.

figmentPez

Staff member

Yes, such a shining example of how well having armed law enforcement on the scene from the very start turns out... </SARCASM>

Americans don't care enough. And frankly... Then why should we? I think hundreds of dead children ate a horrible price to pay for the fetishization of something that was once only meant as a defensive measure. But, well, the US consensus seems to be, let's keep it all the way it is,we won't do anything the Dems want.
People around the globe are completely unwilling to change or sacrifice in any way - just look at the climate debate - but it's seldom so clearly displayed. It's pretty depressing to think these are the people we're supposed to hope will help save the planet for future generations.

Well % of households with guns has been decreasing over the last 60 years. But the guns per capita has skyrocketed upwards over the last decade. Crime is down across the board but mass shootings are at an all time high. So, yeah, sounds like culture would be a good place to start.

figmentPez

Staff member
We keep learning new things that make the police look worse, and absolutely disprove the idea that armed guards at schools are going to help anything.

The story keeps changing, and there's a long history of police lying about this shit. What the fuck actually happened in Uvalde?

Excuse me? Why is this statement being made?

This makes me think that the cops shot someone who wasn't the shooter. Did border patrol get a little trigger happy?

View attachment 41600

*insert "everything is fine" meme here*
Uvalde is a tragedy, no doubt. But I'm a stickler for accurate data, rather than emotionalism. This infographic is wrong.

288 since 2009, not this year. Which, still, is outrageous--but it paints a different picture. And these aren't mass shootings as in Uvalde. Most of them happened at things like sporting events or parking lots involving disputes between students, and not random shootings within the school. Based on mass shooting criteria commonly used (4 or more deaths), there have been 13 in the US since 1966. I was wondering, based on how fast the media is to jump on these kinds of stories, why I hadn't heard of 280+ other shootings this year. That's why.

The tricky one is the shooting of the driver and some kids on a bus a while back. The guy ran onto the bus & shot the driver - right in front of the school.

Honestly, while I'm glad you correct me, because, well, truth, it matters relatively little as long as the comparison with other countries is correct. Whether it's over 1 year or over 10 doesn't change that the occurence is just ridiculous at this point.

Was discussing that with someone last night, and they replied, "Quick thinking!"
...which, I mean, they're not wrong, but...eeehhhh.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member

Why didn't the police storm in earlier? According to officials, the on-scene commander thought that the active shooter situation had ended.

But yeah, the solution to this is more police!

I'm so pissed right now I can't think straight. My (definitely former) friend who posted shit about how the solution to this is armed guard, clarified that the failure of the police in Uvalde doesn't prove anything, because he's advocating that military veterans be the armed guards, and that their military training would stop this. Yeah, that's what we need around kids, vets with PTSD who are trained for military action in war zones. I'm sure that'll keep kids safe! Then he started ranting about how we shouldn't be spending money on the Ukraine, and it's really sad to see someone who I thought was reasonable be so far up the ass of conservative propaganda.

Even if putting military guards in schools could stop school shootings, and we boarded up all the windows, and turned schools into bunkers, and stopped having any outdoor activities, and basically put our kids in prison.... Even if that were somehow a sane solution, that doesn't make our grocery stores, and churches, and movie theaters, and... fucking everywhere else safe. I am so sick and tired of people who praise guns as the solution to guns.

I'm more okay with an ex military guard than I am with a police officer. Police have proven these to be nothing but pests to the children they "protect."

Set the military guy up in a little apartment where he can work out all day and make sure he doesn't interact with the kids. Not going to solve the problem we're trying to solve but at least a bunch of vets will pull a decent salary for very little work which I'm fine with.

figmentPez

Staff member
They don't know why he did it, but they'll mention video games in the same sentence and let people draw their own conclusions about why...

At the NRA convention, Ted Cruz just blamed mass shootings on “prescription drugs, video games, and declining church attendance.”
Ted Cruz: "Yes, mass shootings are all the fault of doctors, programmers and digital artists, and sports or possibly COVID."

--Patrick