*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

GasBandit

Staff member
I suppose that, as a society, we've decided that frequent mass-murders are an acceptable price to pay so that ammosexuals can inadequately resist imaginary jackboots and theoretical tyranny.
And as I have to point out almost every time this thread is bumped, mass shootings (indeed all homicides) have been trending down, not up, and gun control doesn't work. We have a media who leads what bleeds, and has an axe to grind.

And as I have to point out almost every time this thread is bumped, mass shootings (indeed all homicides) have been trending down, not up, and gun control doesn't work. We have a media who leads what bleeds, and has an axe to grind.
Tell that to Milwaukee, who just reached 300 shootings, a record high so far.

I'm not sure how you can say gun control doesn't work when the US is basically the most gun-liberal nation in the world, and the one that suffers mass shootings this often. Meanwhile us crazy gun controllers in Canada and the rest of the developed world don't see a proportional level of gun violence, let alone mass shootings.

I'm not sure how you can say gun control doesn't work when the US is basically the most gun-liberal nation in the world, and the one that suffers mass shootings this often. Meanwhile us crazy gun controllers in Canada and the rest of the developed world don't see a proportional level of gun violence, let alone mass shootings.
Well, we're less gun-liberal than, say, Somalia...

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not sure how you can say gun control doesn't work
Because the guns won't go away because of laws. Of genies going back in bottles and whatnot. So, until there's a magic wand for getting rid of all the guns, all gun control in the US will accomplish is disarming the law abiding, which increases gun crime, a la Chicago, DC, etc where the gun control laws are strongest.

Necronic

Staff member
Do you think laws stop criminals from murdering? If a criminal wants to murder he will murder, one way or another.

Since the DEA is in bed with the Sinola cartel, pretty fucking badly. The DEA is the most corrupt, incompetent, useless law enforcement fiasco outside of a Keystone Kops movie. They have no intention of actually fighting drug use in this country, and instead just keep gobbling up resources that could be put to far better use.

So, we'll have this same conversation next week after the next mass shooting?

Guy is a piece of shit neo-Nazi racist murderer ... news calls him "mysterious drifter" and "quiet loner" like he's a fucking 80s action hero.

GasBandit

Staff member
I suppose America's gun control conversation really ended with Sandy Hook, when they decided that dead kids were worth less than re-examining the Second Amendment.
I'll take gun control arguments more seriously when they aren't blatantly illogical appeals to emotion.

I'll take gun control arguments more seriously when they aren't blatantly illogical appeals to emotion.
Appeals to emotion aren't necessarily illogical. Thinking that a shooting that leads to a bunch of dead children is maybe a good time to re-assess your gun laws doesn't strike me as illogical, even if it is emotional. When on earth is the right time to take gun control laws seriously? Maybe one day there will be a shooting where people no one likes or dislikes get killed, and then we can unemotionally discuss gun control. Of course it's emotional: people are dying. It's not illogical to want to discuss ways to minimize that.

Appeals to emotion aren't necessarily illogical. Thinking that a shooting that leads to a bunch of dead children is maybe a good time to re-assess your gun laws doesn't strike me as illogical, even if it is emotional. When on earth is the right time to take gun control laws seriously? Maybe one day there will be a shooting where people no one likes or dislikes get killed, and then we can unemotionally discuss gun control. Of course it's emotional: people are dying. It's not illogical to want to discuss ways to minimize that.
But emotion.

Appeals to emotion aren't necessarily illogical.
Appeals to emotion are ALWAYS illogical. You're asking someone to give into a base emotion, not the facts, and are doing so purely to undermine the other position's logical, legal stand point. Why should ANYONE debate anything like that?

I may not like that kids are getting shot, but I can still intellectually realize that the issue mostly isn't the laws themselves but our unwillingness to actually enforce them at any level.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's different than saying "well I guess you decided the second amendment is more importand than dead children." THAT is fallacious. It's oversimplified emotional blackmail.

But the one thing you did get right is that the arguments, on both sides, have not changed, and yes, the second amendment is still on the books, and America isn't quite so far gone yet to decide otherwise.

As for the efficacy of gun control in the US, I hate to keep going back to this well, but Chicago has notoriously strict gun control laws, among the strictest in the nation - so strict the supreme court even ruled them unconstitutional. And yet...

Appeals to emotion are ALWAYS illogical. You're asking someone to give into a base emotion, not the facts, and are doing so purely to undermine the other position's logical, legal stand point. Why should ANYONE debate anything like that?
I disagree. Unless you're a Vulcan.

The facts are that there are dead people - this is bad, we as a society generally agree. But that fact is bound to emotion. Death, particularly untimely and violent deaths, shock and sadden us. I'm not saying it's fair to say, "YOU GUN-RIGHTS FOLK LIKE DEAD CHILDREN," but it is totally fair to say, "Dead children, if anything, is the time to look at this," because of its emotional extremity.[DOUBLEPOST=1438019255,1438019207][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's different than saying "well I guess you decided the second amendment is more importand than dead children." THAT is fallacious. It's oversimplified emotional blackmail.
Well, okay, yes. Totally fair. I was being snarky.

As for the efficacy of gun control in the US, I hate to keep going back to this well, but Chicago has notoriously strict gun control laws, among the strictest in the nation - so strict the supreme court even ruled them unconstitutional. And yet...
I don't know how relevant that is. I mean, does Chicago have borders?

It doesn't work when you can drive half an hour and get a gun easily. But it goes beyond just gun control. The entire gun culture of the US is more to blame than the availability of guns.

Last edited:
It doesn't work when you can drive half an hour and get a gun easily. But it goes beyond just gun control. The entire gun culture of the US is more to blame than the availability of guns.
yup. it's much more about gun culture and the general acceptance in many regions that walking around with a gun is a-okay and perfectly normal and your damn right than the actual availability of guns. Seeing a person carrying a gun who isn't clearly a hunter or law enforcement or something like that should be cause for concern and an immediate red flag - "hey, why's that guy walking around with a frikkin' gun?!". If I saw a man walking around with a gun in a shopping mall around here, I'd call 911 (ok, 112) right away - not because it technically can't be legal, but because it's a huge "whoa, what's happening?". As long as people feel guns are a normal accessory to carry around, don't expect gun laws to change anything or gun crime to go down.

GasBandit

Staff member
It doesn't work when you can drive half an hour and get a gun easily.
We're a great big country with wide open borders. Nationwide gun prohibition would just turn us into Chicago writ large, Even if there weren't already a huge glut of firearms in the country that would still be in the hands of criminals while the law abiding citizens dutifully turned theirs in. So, short of a magic wand or a hundred years or more of bloody police-state authoritarianism, the guns are here to stay and strengthening gun control laws only makes more victims.

We're a great big country with wide open borders. Nationwide gun prohibition would just turn us into Chicago writ large, Even if there weren't already a huge glut of firearms in the country that would still be in the hands of criminals while the law abiding citizens dutifully turned theirs in. So, short of a magic wand or a hundred years or more of bloody police-state authoritarianism, the guns are here to stay and strengthening gun control laws only makes more victims.
You do realize you're falsely equating the consequences of outright prohibition with those of stricter control, don't you?

There's a link missing in your logic

GasBandit

Staff member
You do realize you're falsely equating the consequences of outright prohibition with those of stricter control, don't you?

There's a link missing in your logic
Arbitrary half measures (such as the "assault weapons ban") have already been shown, multiple times, to have no real beneficial effect. Besides, everybody says we need to be like Europe, so large scale bans are what we're talking about, right?

Bunch of people get brutally murdered: "Now's not the time to talk about it, everyone's too emotional."

No shootings in the last week: "Why are we talking about this, there's no problem."
Appealing to emotion is what gets you legislation as strong as the Patriot Act, and Federal agencies like the TSA.

Arbitrary half measures (such as the "assault weapons ban") have already been shown, multiple times, to have no real beneficial effect. Besides, everybody says we need to be like Europe, so large scale bans are what we're talking about, right?
Not necessarily. Obvious first steps are all weapons being registered to someone's name, requiring a weapons license or mandatory course, putting some other arbitrary limit than 'assault weapons' like # of weapons per person depending on your license. I understand that the last 2 come into conflict with the 2nd amendment, especially with the 'weapons to fight an oppressive government' interpretation. But they are just examples of regulations that are not outright bans or half measures.

Also any of this stuff should be done progressively, but that should be obvious.

Not necessarily. Obvious first steps are all weapons being registered to someone's name, requiring a weapons license or mandatory course, putting some other arbitrary limit than 'assault weapons' like # of weapons per person depending on your license. I understand that the last 2 come into conflict with the 2nd amendment, especially with the 'weapons to fight an oppressive government' interpretation. But they are just examples of regulations that are not outright bans or half measures.

Also any of this stuff should be done progressively, but that should be obvious.
Why limit the number of weapons per a person? Yes, it fights straw purchasing but it also interferes with businesses that rent guns (like ranges and hunting lodges), legitimate collectors, and families with more than one shooter. Children can't own their own firearms but many families hunt together or go to the range together.

What is an assault weapon? No one can define one and the old "I know it when I see it" excuse is worthless. If you can't define it, then what's the point? And if you start individually deciding certain models are assault weapons, you're just going to get sued by the manufacturers, who have just spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS developing a tool they can no longer sell domestically.

Why tie a weapon to a person's name? Yes, this would cut down on straw purchasers (which is a legitimate problem) but I'm not entire comfortable with the government knowing exactly who owns a firearm. That's just asking for abuse from the police, who are already out of control.