*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

"well I guess you decided the second amendment is more importand than dead children." THAT is fallacious. It's oversimplified emotional blackmail.
And it it precisely the tactic opponents of privatizing Pennsylvania liquor stores used to block such a move. "If they sell in the grocery stores, our children will DIE!!!!1!!11ELEBENTY!!"

Those "opponents"? Mostly the union for state store workers.

But that's all another thread.

Why limit the number of weapons per a person? Yes, it fights straw purchasing but it also interferes with businesses that rent guns (like ranges and hunting lodges), legitimate collectors, and families with more than one shooter. Children can't own their own firearms but many families hunt together or go to the range together.

What is an assault weapon? No one can define one and the old "I know it when I see it" excuse is worthless. If you can't define it, then what's the point? And if you start individually deciding certain models are assault weapons, you're just going to get sued by the manufacturers, who have just spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS developing a tool they can no longer sell domestically.

Why tie a weapon to a person's name? Yes, this would cut down on straw purchasers (which is a legitimate problem) but I'm not entire comfortable with the government knowing exactly who owns a firearm. That's just asking for abuse from the police, who are already out of control.
I'm already convinced that the assault weapons ban is a bad idea. Tying a weapon to a person's name is a very obvious way to supposedly only inconvenience criminals. If this raises issues with the police abusing power then obviously the police are a bigger problem than mass shootings and should be addressed first.

In any case, it's clear that any measure has pros and cons, and I wasn't seriosly proposing any. My point was that there's many things that can be done between 'guns for everyone all the time no restrictions' and 'ban all guns and if an armed criminal comes to your house well, you better be a ninja'

In any case, it's clear that any measure has pros and cons, and I wasn't seriosly proposing any. My point was that there's many things that can be done between 'guns for everyone all the time no restrictions' and 'ban all guns and if an armed criminal comes to your house well, you better be a ninja'
Gun ownership in 1st world countries has a NEGATIVE correlation with crime/violence, not positive, EXCEPT for the USA. You guys are just screwed up:

Ownership rate: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Gun-crime/Guns-per-100-residents
Murder rate: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate-per-million-people#

All the other 1st world countries that are high up on ownership (Switzerland - 4, Finland - 8, Sweden - 10, Norway - 11, France - 12, Canada - 13, Austria - 14, Germany - 15) are below #125 on murder rate. Except the USA, which is at 99. And a LOT of those are near the very bottom. And yet they have a lot of guns too?

Maybe it's just your culture. Controlling the guns won't help much IMO. And has other consequences which you probably won't like either... but maybe you will. You already have a choice between John Jackson and Jack Johnson for political parties and don't seem to care, so maybe you won't care when that happens either.

It's also worth pointing out that many of those 1st world countries with high ownership also have, by American standards, fairly strict gun control laws.

EDIT: To be clear, not advocating anything in particular, more just pointing out that the control/no-control argument is much more multi-faceted than the US version of the argument often makes it seem.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
When Australia banned guns, it had no effect on the homicide rate, which was already gradually decreasing.

When the UK banned handguns, crime went up, then returned to where they were pre-ban.

(sorry for the graphic size disparity)

Cajungal

Staff member
Maybe it's just your culture.
Maybe so. People who don't live in the US can tell me--is there as much vengeful posturing after a tragedy in other countries? If I had a quarter for every time I heard, "Give me five minutes with him and he'll be sorry for what he did/he'll confess" after a violent crime occurred, I could quit my job.

When we thought the Westboro Baptists were coming to the funerals of the two women shot in a movie theatre last week, a few men in a "human barrier" group threatened to bring their dogs and guns to the rally--which was meant to be a peaceful gathering to protect the families.

I'd say that's rare here in Spain. Instead, what we get are people loudly asking for harsher punishment (from the state, of course!). Maybe you're onto something here...

Ashburner: there actually is a legal definition of an assault weapon. An assault weapon is a semi-automatic firearm that can accept detachable magazines and has two or more of the following features: a folding or collapsible stock (because that makes it easier to conceal and use in close quarters), a pistol grip (again, more useful in close quarters), bayonet mount (no reason for a civilian weapon to have one), flash suppressor or a barrel threaded to accept one (likewise), grenade launcher mount (duh).

An assault rifle is a military-issue rifle or carbine capable of selective fire (including burst and automatic).

Ashburner: there actually is a legal definition of an assault weapon. An assault weapon is a semi-automatic firearm that can accept detachable magazines and has two or more of the following features: a folding or collapsible stock (because that makes it easier to conceal and use in close quarters), a pistol grip (again, more useful in close quarters), bayonet mount (no reason for a civilian weapon to have one), flash suppressor or a barrel threaded to accept one (likewise), grenade launcher mount (duh).

An assault rifle is a military-issue rifle or carbine capable of selective fire (including burst and automatic).
And all of those things are arbitrary.

GasBandit

Staff member
no reason for a civilian weapon to have one
This is part of the reasoning behind a lot of gun control arguments I have problems with. There doesn't NEED to be a reason for a civilian weapon to have something, rather there needs to be a really really good reason to violate the 2nd amendment rights of someone who wants one.

@Cajungal - a friend of mine on a hockey-related message board apparently knew one of the individuals who was shot. She was a student in one of her classes when she was still a teacher. :(

This is part of the reasoning behind a lot of gun control arguments I have problems with. There doesn't NEED to be a reason for a civilian weapon to have something, rather there needs to be a really really good reason to violate the 2nd amendment rights of someone who wants one.
Especially when knives aren't illegal, and you can duct-tape a bowie knife to the end of a shotgun if you really want to.

Okay, I'm gonna need that one explained to me.
All of those components that transform a gun from a weapon to an 'assault weapon' are entirely arbitrary. You can have the exact same model rifle, and if one has a folding stock attached to it and the other doesn't, then suddenly one becomes scarier and needs to be banned.

"There's a man with a gun in the building!"

'Oh my god, does it have a pistol grip?'

"No"

'Oh, we're ok then.'

-Said no one, ever.

Now, unlike Gas, I'm actually in favor of more gun control (not outright banning) but the focus on "assault weapons" is just dumb, and pointless.

It isn't a matter of scary, it's a matter of being easier to conceal under clothing and handle in close quarters, like a crowd or inside a building.

Which one of these would be easier to walk into a bank or school or office building with?

or

These are both Ruger AC556 rifles, but the lower one, the F variant, is optimized for compactness. With a folding stock and pistol grip, it's much faster to put on target, especially in a cramped or crowded environment.

It isn't a matter of scary, it's a matter of being easier to conceal under clothing and handle in close quarters, like a crowd or inside a building.

Which one of these would be easier to walk into a bank or school or office building with?

or

These are both Ruger AC556 rifles, but the lower one, the F variant, is optimized for compactness. With a folding stock and pistol grip, it's much faster to put on target, especially in a cramped or crowded environment.
Both of those also match your above definition of an assault weapon. Not helping your case there.

This is pretty much my take on it. The Constitution is ether absolute until changed by vote or it isn't. We can sort of dance around the issue (such as in licensing things) but the only reason a lot of what is currently going on is Status Que is because no one has taken it to the Supreme Court.

This doesn't mean I don't have limits on what should be available to the public... I wouldn't want people owning grenades or rocket launchers (we already control things like explosives used in demolition for a reason) but just about anything else sounds like fair game to me.

Okay, I'm gonna need that one explained to me.
None of those things drastically change the weapon except the under slung launcher. Changing the grips and stock are more of a personal comfort thing than an effectiveness thing... I know many a tacticool gun owner that spend thousands on their ARs that can't hit the broadside of the barn and are looking for the right "accessory" to turn them into the gods of the range they think they should be. Silencers don't work like in the movies... they can quiet the gun shot to "not going deaf" or "can't hear it behind a thick door if the walls were made right" level but the mechanical sound of the gun working is still quite loud... civilians use them at gun ranges to prevent hearing damage. A bayonet mount basically just limits the government from selling surplus guns in the States, as there is a reason we don't use them much anymore.

I guess you could make the argument for the flash suppressors (as they make shooting a bit easier with stronger rounds or rapid fire) but it's still the gun doing the work and I'm fairly certain you can't civilian buy guns with burst or full auto made past 1987 anymore.

Regardless, the point is most of this stuff doesn't actually make the gun deadlier. It just makes it LOOK scarier .[DOUBLEPOST=1438123658,1438123455][/DOUBLEPOST]
What @Covar said. Both would be assault weapons, despite being drastically different. Which just proves how completely arbitrary the entire thing is.

Cajungal

Staff member
@Cajungal - a friend of mine on a hockey-related message board apparently knew one of the individuals who was shot. She was a student in one of her classes when she was still a teacher. :(
Aw man :(

In happy news, the Westboro assholes didn't show after threatening to picket their funerals, so the families were left in peace.

In worse news, a kid around 17 or 18 just got shot in his home. A car parked outside his mom's house, men broke in, and they attacked the family. So scary... The town is completely shaken up right now. Stuff like this happens here, but people in Lafayette proper aren't used to it. Not on the south side.

I guess you could make the argument for the flash suppressors (as they make shooting a bit easier with stronger rounds or rapid fire) but it's still the gun doing the work and I'm fairly certain you can't civilian buy guns with burst or full auto made past 1987 anymore
Just responding to this one part, you can still buy them, with a Federal License, costs around $10k for all the paperwork and checks and fees and such. Basically it's one of the most traceable firearms around, but it can be done. Have been lucky enough to have friends that have gone through the process and been able to fire some of the firearms that they had. You can still do more intentional damage with just single-shot trigger pull than burst (usually 3 rounds) or full-auto. The recoil on full-auto is a pain in more ways that one.

Just responding to this one part, you can still buy them, with a Federal License, costs around $10k for all the paperwork and checks and fees and such. Basically it's one of the most traceable firearms around, but it can be done. Have been lucky enough to have friends that have gone through the process and been able to fire some of the firearms that they had. You can still do more intentional damage with just single-shot trigger pull than burst (usually 3 rounds) or full-auto. The recoil on full-auto is a pain in more ways that one.
Generally with full-auto, the current tactical idea is suppressing fire - laying enough fire on the enemy that they can't move and have to keep their heads down instead of being able to take a clear shot. Ideally while your DPM goes for an aimed shot that will do some good. In modern combat, it's estimated that we expend 200-400 rounds of ammunition for each enemy casualty.

or

It don't matter really, Ruger Mini-14's can not hit shit anyways. Might as well fire a musket if you have a target.

Open carry laws make it where a crazed gunman does not even have to hide a rifle. The police can't do shit until the suspect starts shooting.

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks like the usual 4chan anonymous internet dickwaddery.

Not saying they're not shitty people, just saying it's not "all of a sudden now" that 4channers are vile.