Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game, part 2! (On Hiatus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game, part 2!

It's easy to play Serin though!

You don't say anything, and sometimes you fall out of a hole in the ceiling.

It's easy to play Serin though!

You don't say anything, and sometimes you fall out of a hole in the ceiling.
That's really Doom's fault. I don't know why he's so reluctant to get Serin involved in some RP. Grendmir hasn't a quarter of the backstory of Serin and I was RPing him a bunch before Shawn threw a bunch of items to make him bloodthirsty and insane.

I'm available this Thursday if you need an alternate. Serin is a sorcerer right? So just point and shoot.

doomdragon6

Staff member

I have a hard time RPing Serin. She's the quiet, contemplative type. It's not as easy as New Ezekiel, who I'm made into a snarky punch-happy jackass.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Oh I'm sorry, let me just call Comedy Central and ask them to schedule Futurama's return to some other time. :biggrin:

Dude I effing love Futurama, but I'm not cancelling my plans for it.

Tivo, bitches. Or Hulu for you 'mericans.

doomdragon6

Staff member

I'm ditching for the ONE NIGHT.

The rest I'll watch some other way. I'm watching it with a bunch of friends, live as it airs. We're huge Futurama fans, so it's the one "Grand Re-Opening!" type night.

After that, I'll watch it online or something, since I don't have a DVR at my apartment. It's not like Serin talks anyway. Like Hugs said, just point and shoot.

Well if you need me let me know, you can send me your macros and character sheet ahead of time.

Serin "Well you tell Adia that Grenmir is my best friend. And it's shake and bake time!"

So the game is losing priority to a show that will become available online ten seconds after it airs?

doomdragon6

Staff member

It's just one night where I want to watch the return of one of my favorite shows after 6 years. :(

When I say I'm a Futurama fan, I don't mean that I catch it whenever it's on. I mean that I've watched the entire series all the way through at least twice in one go, and the commentaries for every single episode twice through as well, plus the movies several times. Plus, whenever I could catch it. =P

We usually quit around 9-9:30 central anyway, don't we?

Oh, I was confused. That's 3 hours after start time, so I guess it's okay.

If you did this in Julie's game, Ezekiel would become the gravel in a drow driveway.

doomdragon6

Staff member

If it was Julie's game, I wouldn't have told the truth. =P

"..." 9:00 hits.

"Oh SHIT. My gf's cat just pulled the bookcase down on itself! I gotta go!" *disappears*

*watches TV*

If it was Julie's game, I wouldn't have told the truth. =P

"..." 9:00 hits.

"Oh SHIT. My gf's cat just pulled the bookcase down on itself! I gotta go!" *disappears*

*watches TV*
ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES.

And by rocks, I mean Ezekiel. And by everyone, I mean Ezekiel. You jerk.

"Grenmir gets eaten by a Grue."

Careful what you wish for 'cause you just might get, yeah you just might get it.

Firstly, I had fun tonight. "WHHHHHEEEEEEE!"

Shawn, I hate to say this, but I'm starting to have doubts about the "level up by event" way we're doing this.

What it ends up doing is making it feel like each monster we kill doesn't further us, and that we'd be better off dodging situations if we're eager to get our characters further, because it's only going to matter based on event milestone.

I'm looking in character builder and it's only 3500 experience from level 8 to level 9. I don't know the levels and make of each creature we fought, but the proportion of them leads me to believe it would've added up to well over that considering our characters. If we were getting exp per fight, then it would feel like each of those earned us something. But had we skipped the statue and ghouls, and the room with the demon-summoning guy, we'd be hitting level 9 in the same place.

It may just be me, but I feel like it cheapens the rewards of a non-story-centered combat.

Yeah I too prefer the feeling of gradually making progress towards milestones rather than just suddenly obtaining them, even if it means it's a slower progression.

I'm fine either way though I'd personally like some progression myself if at all possible in terms of the storyline to get out of this place. It feels like we've been in this place forever and quite frankly prescripted adventurers, to me, feel shallow in terms of storyline value and player creativity. To elaborate... I feel that as a character who won't exactly want to perform an acrobatic or athletics check every few rounds stuck in small hallways extremely limiting in terms of gameplay. I miss the earlier adventurers (the goblin caves, the forest battles and the demon child) where it was big and didn't feel like someone was reading paragraphs out of a book written by someone else. Tonight's recap is lackluster if you come to think of it. We walked into a room, some blades went off when Grendmir hit the door and we spent over 2 hours in combat against undead guards of sorts (blooooody long). We waited another half hour trying to get out of the pit. Now another small hallway awaits us next game session. I hope I don't across as bitching or anything but I'd like more oomph. Surely I'm not the only one feeling this? This thread has been very quiet now for some time beyond the last day or so.

PS : Did we by any chance get a mulligan to get those blades to stop?

Hopefully you'll take this as constructive as that is my intent.

Well,

Basic reason that I'm kinda doing leveling up based on plot progression is just because A) I feel it's taking too long otherwise, and B) less work to deal with.
So far you have all been progressing at the same rate. I haven't docked people for being late. I haven't given out extra XP for RPing because I think you guys enjoy doing it anyway. But most importantly is I would like to see you guys get to the end of this campaign at a much quicker rate. I'll probably start up another campaign afterwards, but I am looking forward to a clean slate in the foreseeable future.

Typically it's been designed that you level up once every 10 encounters in game. Or at least on average based on what an equal level encounter would net you in xp. The reason that this current level seems like it's taking longer than that is that this particular adventure is mostly encounters (not something I had really planned for when I chose the module) and we're only able to get through one or two of them every week (with Julie's game every two weeks).

My solution to the problem was that the moment you guys emerged from this adventure that I would immediately grant you two levels. Not sure if that's something people would be okay with or not, but I'll leave it up to you folks.

The blades were posted as auto disabling after 10 rounds of motion. I felt that I owed it to you folks to be given a chance to disable it via your own actions, considering the effort that Grendmir had shown to get out of his perdicament. I was expecting an act of heroism and I would have rewarded success with the knowledge that through that person's/persons' actions that the blades were stopped.
It wasn't until you folks had pretty much given up on the problem that I allowed the pre-written fail safe to kick in. But all-in-all it had probably been about 10 rounds anyway.

You are about two encounters from the end of this module.

My solution to the problem was that the moment you guys emerged from this adventure that I would immediately grant you two levels. Not sure if that's something people would be okay with or not, but I'll leave it up to you folks.
Thats more than fair for an adventure that if you take an extended rest in, you die. You're being far too nice to your players Shawn, they will never learn to survive if you don't slaughter them for their mistakes.

Thats more than fair for an adventure that if you take an extended rest in, you die. You're being far too nice to your players Shawn, they will never learn to survive if you don't slaughter them for their mistakes.[/QUOTE]

What mistakes, if I may ask? The only mistake I've made in-character this adventure was allowing Adia to take the brunt of the undead offensive, causing her to almost die outright and use up most of her healing surges. I feel I've made up for that a bit, again, in-character, by Errik acting overprotective of her and not letting himself or her take ANY damage over the last two encounters.

Not to put too fine a point on it, actually, but I think it might be the best bit of roleplay-fodder that's come from this adventure.

Heh. You guys are awesome. Sometimes it's more fun when a character makes an error based on a roleplay reason, such as Grendmir charging headfirst into traps. Heck, the blades trap today could have been completely avoided if Serin had been allowed to check for traps. Doom rolled a 30+ if I remember correctly which was more than enough. But Daryl was like "I knock down the door!". Well, now he remembers why Kratash was so 'popular'.

Heh. You guys are awesome. Sometimes it's more fun when a character makes an error based on a roleplay reason, such as Grendmir charging headfirst into traps. Heck, the blades trap today could have been completely avoided if Serin had been allowed to check for traps. Doom rolled a 30+ if I remember correctly which was more than enough. But Daryl was like "I knock down the door!". Well, now he remembers why Kratash was so 'popular'.
I actually thought that was a problem with the Perception check Adia made, because instead of saying she was checking the door, she specifically said she was putting her ear against the door.

Somewhere in the back of my head I was like "YOU CAN'T HEAR TRAPS :Leyla:".

:laugh:

Hopefully in the future we can try to temper Grendmir's... gusto, and the ladies can provide us with a SWAT-team level of trap-deterrence.

Thats more than fair for an adventure that if you take an extended rest in, you die.
Ummm.. what? :/

I'm really not a big fan of that plan. I like growing with my character and getting two levels at once would rob me of that feeling completely. Especially since LVL 10 tends to be a big ding.

But most importantly is I would like to see you guys get to the end of this campaign at a much quicker rate. I'll probably start up another campaign afterwards, but I am looking forward to a clean slate in the foreseeable future.
As in a new game? :/

and we're only able to get through one or two of them every week (with Julie's game every two weeks).
The main issue I feel that this is feeling dragged out is that we have rarely done more than one encounter in a session for a long time. Combat is long, slow and labourous. Also gaming nights seem to have been cut down to less than 3 hours. (starting well after 7 and ending before 10).

The blades were posted as auto disabling after 10 rounds of motion. I felt that I owed it to you folks to be given a chance to disable it via your own actions, considering the effort that Grendmir had shown to get out of his perdicament. I was expecting an act of heroism and I would have rewarded success with the knowledge that through that person's/persons' actions that the blades were stopped. It wasn't until you folks had pretty much given up on the problem that I allowed the pre-written fail safe to kick in. But all-in-all it had probably been about 10 rounds anyway.
Ah ok. Though my character's hands are tied to such acts due to his clumsy nature.

You are about two encounters from the end of this module.
There is a God! Let's do this in one gaming night, please!!! (unless a lot of fun RP is involved)

Status
Not open for further replies.