Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Yeah, Zero and (IIRC?) Dream Goddess both work for the Federal Gov.
Yep, Dream Goddess. (Good memory seeing how she usually just lurks :p)

She used to work as a contractor, now she and I work in the same office where our departments are contracted. We thought the degrees of separation would mean we were okay, but that was because management took a pay hit so staff could be paid, thinking the shutdown would have ended by now. So we've been on borrowed time since before Christmas.

Not a rant, but posting it here as update:

One of our contracts that was supposed to pay but allegedly couldn't let us know that.
Boss told them we'd have to pull the plug on their workload then until the shutdown then.
They got back to us and what do ya know, they miraculously found some money after hearing we wouldn't do their work for free. Funny that.

In any case, Julie is still fully furloughed and on unemployment, but at least now I'm taking reduced wage. I can make that work for a while better than zero wage.

I maintain what I said about Trump though. Swollen pieces of him, off they go into the sunset.

Last edited:
On the bright side, they passed a bill officially guaranteeing that you'll get backpay whenever this ends.
That's only for federal workers who are employed directly by the government. We're in a private company that's contracted with the government. Technically no different than, like, a deli that a federal worker used to get lunch every day but can't anymore due to lack of funds. We'll get the government's business back when they reopen, but nothing for the time until then.

I'm lucky: I'll get backpay over the course of the rest of the year because that's the agreement I'm in with my boss, not the Senate (unless this goes on so long that my company goes out of business). Julie won't get a dime. Same for most contractors.

It’s okay. According to Trump you’re a Democrat and probably deserve it. Also according to him, you really support everything that he’s doing but the Fake News Media is forcing you to sound like you’re unhappy with this.

(But in all seriousness, I’m sorry this is happening. If this shit drags on longer you should take Dave’s offer. I know I would be willing to chip in.)

It’s okay. According to Trump you’re a Democrat and probably deserve it.
rocket also true.gif

(But in all seriousness, I’m sorry this is happening. If this shit drags on longer you should take Dave’s offer. I know I would be willing to chip in.)
I'm pretty tight-fisted with our finances, so we'll be okay for a bit. It won't be fun, but we can survive. Neither of us are going to wait to the point where it wouldn't be okay before seeking other options though. I appreciate the generosity :).

Most of you already know that I have an hour commute (each way).
No snow but 27F/-3C today and icy.
Drove all the way to work with no incident.
Literally in the final 8 feet (2.5m) as I’m straightening out to park in the spot I want to stay, lose control, hit the car next to me at maybe 3MPH/5kmH.

I feel bad because we both park in almost the exact same spots every day, so even though I don’t know who the owner is, I know that this person JUST got this car last Summer.
I’m at a point in my life right now where my savings CAN absorb the $500 deductible, but only just, and nothing else can happen any time soon. So that’s why this isn’t in the whiny baby thread.

—Patrick

OH man, have I got a rant for you guys.

So, I had a first date tonight, which was amazing. We talked in Starbucks for THREE HOURS. And expressed mutual interest to see each other again. But she also dropped a MASSIVE bomb on me. Not about herself, but a particular eating habit of mine. Because we're both healthy eaters, including having little to no carbs.

Oh, how wrong I was in thinking I had little carbs. And I feel like a complete idiot about it. And herein lies the rant!

Popcorn.

Since late last year, I started having popcorn again. Nightly. A GIANT bowl of it. 1/3 cups of the kernels, sometimes almost 1/2 a cup. Popped in coconut oil. Then I added about a 1/8 cup of Becel.

And according to my calorie counter app, Lose It, I thought I was doing great! Wow, it's only like 10 calories! I'm meeting my goal every day no problem!

Except...I was calculating 1/3 cup unpopped. The app calculates it as POPPED.

Turns out I've been having closer to 11-12 cups of popcorn EVERY NIGHT when I came home from work. Over 450 calories before even counting the oil or margarine. So I've probably been having close to 1,000 calories in JUST that every night, going WAY past the goal of about 1,600 calorie intake. I wasn't having popcorn at ALL during my keto diet. No wonder I lost all that weight.

But now it's no surprise I haven't lost any weight since the end of last year. In fact, I've gained a little, back to 198-200 pounds. At best, I've maintained because I hit the gym hard almost every day.

And I feel like such an idiot because I was getting disheartened getting on my Fitbit scale that calculates my body fat percentage (neither that or the calories is an exact science, I know), which has only gradually increased. NO FRIGGING WONDER.

So, I'm cutting out popcorn entirely from here on. Cold turkey. Or is that "cold kernel." I'll have to find some healthier alternatives to snacks, especially as I'm back (OR I THOUGHT I WAS BACK) on the keto diet.

On the cosmic scale of things, putting on a pound or two that you will be able to lose pretty easily seems like a minor problem compared to a great first date.

Popcorn is a great weight loss snack, if you're counting calories, not ketoing.

Huge bowls of popcorn knock in at like 300-400 calories before butter and if you use a bit of oil and popcorn seasoning, you can get by without butter.

No carbs though? Nup. Bad idea.

On the cosmic scale of things, putting on a pound or two that you will be able to lose pretty easily seems like a minor problem compared to a great first date.
Oh absolutely. But I wrote such a long thing about the popcorn, the Rant thread felt like the best place for it.

First world problem: I finished my MBA and as part of that whole process I get to reward myself with something frivolous. And for the life of me I can't decide because there's always a reason not to. Spending most of your life not buying things for yourself makes it difficult to finally splurge. I find it more fun to buy for other people at the best of times.

First world problem: I finished my MBA and as part of that whole process I get to reward myself with something frivolous. And for the life of me I can't decide because there's always a reason not to. Spending most of your life not buying things for yourself makes it difficult to finally splurge. I find it more fun to buy for other people at the best of times.
Get a slinky.

...by a pedophile who was horrified to find out the truth...?

Not sure why this is a rant. :rofl:
It plays on the cruelty of children. The kids at my children's school already think that our kids have a super cool video game playing young mom who lives with her dad.

...by a pedophile who was horrified to find out the truth...?

Not sure why this is a rant. :rofl:
I've complained before about how people don't take you seriously if you look too young. Totally a thing. :p

But really someone just feels old because children are cruel.

I get carded unless I grow out my facial hair. My ex-wife got consistently read as 16-18, or 14-15 if she wore a beanie... Which considering the size of her rack was just confusing.

Last weekend, I got in the express line at the grocery store while my 3 friends went to self-checkout (I was the only one buying alcohol, bottle 'a wine). The cashier let me know she couldn't sell me alcohol since I was with minors, so I hollered the girls over so they could prove they're all in their mid-20's (one of them ended with the cashier's number :p, so hey).

Blew out a tire on the way home, and in the process of changing to the spare, in the rain, in the dark, I dropped my phone and cracked the screen.

This probably should go in the Whine thread, but so much for "benefits" from moving to Arizona. I owe the feds (thanks Trumpkin), but I'll make some of that back from Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, Arizona wants their share of my pension. I'm at a net loss for tax season right now.

Dave

Staff member
This garnishment has kicked my ass. Bills are paid but the extras are killing us. And by extras I mean food, gas, etc. I'm making slightly more than I was before when this happened before, but our rent is $400 more and my wife is making 1/2 what she was.

I can feel the stress rising and it's only the 4th of the month.