Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Dear idiot faculty members,
If the funding you're counting on for your student is based on the results of a competition that receives thousands of applications from all over the nation, and you don't have a back-up plan for if/when that funding doesn't come through, you're an idiot who can't plan, so don't get mad at me when your student receives bad news. Y'all ain't that special.

Dave

Staff member
Dear idiot faculty members,
If the funding you're counting on for your student is based on the results of a competition that receives thousands of applications from all over the nation, and you don't have a back-up plan for if/when that funding doesn't come through, you're an idiot who can't plan, so don't get mad at me when your student receives bad news. Y'all ain't that special.
I feel this post so very hard.

It's actually gotten a bit windy and chilly here today. All the way down to 63 right now, and we might get down to (gasp horror) 34F tomorrow!

First world problem: I finished my MBA and as part of that whole process I get to reward myself with something frivolous. And for the life of me I can't decide because there's always a reason not to. Spending most of your life not buying things for yourself makes it difficult to finally splurge. I find it more fun to buy for other people at the best of times.
Took my family and in-laws to Miami for 10 days. Just going to pretend that this is my gift to myself as I get some alone time thanks to built-in-babysitters.

Took my family and in-laws to Miami for 10 days. Just going to pretend that this is my gift to myself as I get some alone time thanks to built-in-babysitters.
“No, that’s fine. You go out and see all the fun stuff. I’m not feeling great, I’ll just stay here in the hotel room for the next 6 hours, alone at last ...”

—Patrick

“No, that’s fine. You go out and see all the fun stuff. I’m not feeling great, I’ll just stay here in the hotel room for the next 6 hours, alone at last ...”

—Patrick
I've spent the last five days doing absolutely nothing. If I didn't have the flu, it would be my dream vacation. Unfortunately I do have the flu, so every moment is agony

I've spent the last five days doing absolutely nothing. If I didn't have the flu, it would be my dream vacation. Unfortunately I do have the flu, so every moment is agony
“Everything is perfect, except for this one annoying detaaiIAAARGHHBLGGTHPTPTHH.”

—Patrick

“Everything is perfect, except for this one annoying detaaiIAAARGHHBLGGTHPTPTHH.”

—Patrick
Turns out the flu doesn't involve a lot of sneezing. It does involve feeling weak as a kitten, being bedridden for days, and alternating between being freezing cold and boiling hot. The 104F fever is fun, too.

I think my Dad is going to die soon.

I feel crushed like a child by this weight.
I just got back from my home town. My father has made a decent bounce back. He was completely shutting down that day, congestive heart failure, pneumonia, and renal failure. He has rebounded some, he still can't get up and move around on his own and is very weak. So he is going to rehab.

The doctor was shocked by how well he was doing before the event. Because he was 90 and at deaths door. But the day before he was a fully functioning adult. Dresses and feeds himself, does most of the shopping, drives... When the doc heard that he said that he's going into rehab until he can do that stuff again.

My dad plateaued. He stopped getting better. He is being sent home for hospice care.

He will likely go in an ugly manner. I don't really know if gathering everyone around is such a great idea.

Dave

Staff member
I didn't want to say anything. It's very, VERY common for someone terminally ill to have a brief bounce-back before it gets bad. I didn't want to ruin your good feelings when he was doing better.

Again, I've gone through this. I even wrote about how hospice is great and terrible. If you need anything, let me know.

Last edited:
School District: You need to adapt to modern times. We want you to incorporate technology in the classroom. Be innovative. Use the internet for maps, resources, teaching lessons, and so on. Give students computers so they can take charge of their own learning in the digital age.

Also, the internet isn't working.... again. Also, I know that the computers we bought years ago are broken and barely functioning, but we can't afford to do any maintenance or repairs. But make sure you use technology in the classroom.

(Fuck!) :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member
School District: You need to adapt to modern times. We want you to incorporate technology in the classroom. Be innovative. Use the internet for maps, resources, teaching lessons, and so on. Give students computers so they can take charge of their own learning in the digital age.

Also, the internet isn't working.... again. Also, I know that the computers we bought years ago are broken and barely functioning, but we can't afford to do any maintenance or repairs. But make sure you use technology in the classroom.

(Fuck!) :mad:
Reminds me of how, in Jr High, I was required to take a "typing" class for a semester, despite the fact I was already cruising BBSes and knew more about computers than the instructor. And how did they teach us typing? With keyboards that weren't plugged in to anything, and the teacher just called out letters for us to type at 1 second intervals. It was the saddest of jokes.

Reminds me of how, in Jr High, I was required to take a "typing" class for a semester, despite the fact I was already cruising BBSes and knew more about computers than the instructor. And how did they teach us typing? With keyboards that weren't plugged in to anything, and the teacher just called out letters for us to type at 1 second intervals. It was the saddest of jokes.
Typing class was great! Real typewriters and posture and racing to see how many words you could type per minute!

I 100% get this feeling. It's clear that districts expect teachers to make up for shortcomings in funding for their students and is willing to punish those that don't. My mother spends a not insignificant amount of her own money on supplies and such for her class, knowing that at least some of it would be tax deductible.

Then Trump passed his little tax bill and now she's getting fucked by it, unable to make the deductions she used to on class supplies OR some of her benefits.