Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Reactions
1,300 364 2
Management: You can file for unemployment, but that project we've been working will need to start all over when this ends, so if you keep doing 40 a week, we can't pay you now, but you'll get back pay.

Me: Okay.

Management: Also, please babysit these other adult employees your age because they are frustrated about what's going on.

Because I'm not?! -_-

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,391 641 7
I think they both work for governmental agencies or agencies that interact with the government. So the shutdown affects them directly, which is why they are pissed - rightly so - at Trump.

Reactions
1,300 364 2
Yeah, Zero and (IIRC?) Dream Goddess both work for the Federal Gov.
Yep, Dream Goddess. (Good memory seeing how she usually just lurks :p)

She used to work as a contractor, now she and I work in the same office where our departments are contracted. We thought the degrees of separation would mean we were okay, but that was because management took a pay hit so staff could be paid, thinking the shutdown would have ended by now. So we've been on borrowed time since before Christmas.

Not a rant, but posting it here as update:

One of our contracts that was supposed to pay but allegedly couldn't let us know that.
Boss told them we'd have to pull the plug on their workload then until the shutdown then.
They got back to us and what do ya know, they miraculously found some money after hearing we wouldn't do their work for free. Funny that.

In any case, Julie is still fully furloughed and on unemployment, but at least now I'm taking reduced wage. I can make that work for a while better than zero wage.

I maintain what I said about Trump though. Swollen pieces of him, off they go into the sunset.

Last edited:
On the bright side, they passed a bill officially guaranteeing that you'll get backpay whenever this ends.
That's only for federal workers who are employed directly by the government. We're in a private company that's contracted with the government. Technically no different than, like, a deli that a federal worker used to get lunch every day but can't anymore due to lack of funds. We'll get the government's business back when they reopen, but nothing for the time until then.

I'm lucky: I'll get backpay over the course of the rest of the year because that's the agreement I'm in with my boss, not the Senate (unless this goes on so long that my company goes out of business). Julie won't get a dime. Same for most contractors.

Reactions
318 52 1
It’s okay. According to Trump you’re a Democrat and probably deserve it. Also according to him, you really support everything that he’s doing but the Fake News Media is forcing you to sound like you’re unhappy with this.

(But in all seriousness, I’m sorry this is happening. If this shit drags on longer you should take Dave’s offer. I know I would be willing to chip in.)

It’s okay. According to Trump you’re a Democrat and probably deserve it.
rocket also true.gif

(But in all seriousness, I’m sorry this is happening. If this shit drags on longer you should take Dave’s offer. I know I would be willing to chip in.)
I'm pretty tight-fisted with our finances, so we'll be okay for a bit. It won't be fun, but we can survive. Neither of us are going to wait to the point where it wouldn't be okay before seeking other options though. I appreciate the generosity :).

Reactions
1,498 409 14
Most of you already know that I have an hour commute (each way).
No snow but 27F/-3C today and icy.
Drove all the way to work with no incident.
Literally in the final 8 feet (2.5m) as I’m straightening out to park in the spot I want to stay, lose control, hit the car next to me at maybe 3MPH/5kmH.

I feel bad because we both park in almost the exact same spots every day, so even though I don’t know who the owner is, I know that this person JUST got this car last Summer.
I’m at a point in my life right now where my savings CAN absorb the $500 deductible, but only just, and nothing else can happen any time soon. So that’s why this isn’t in the whiny baby thread.

—Patrick