Rant VIII: The Reckoning

One time my little brother got stung on the foot by a hornet and we soon discovered a nest close by. My dad got out the BB gun and we took turns shooting at it.

... I'm always surprised by people who've never been stung

I'm mostly immune to hornet and bee venom. My brother, not so much.
He gets stung, and he swells up like a cartoon. I get stung, and you can barely find the red mark where the stinger broke the skin.

I didn't get much (if any) swelling, just intense pain for a little while. Left arm that took the brunt went pretty numb too.

Update, I went back out and there was almost no activity in the cavity I created. So I flooded the whole shebang with water and plunged my spade into the area around the hole a few times. A few buzzing around me but not much else. I swatted one out of the air with my spade and stomped her good. I am the nemesis of hornets. I will be their destroyer.

I am the nemesis of hornets. I will be their destroyer.
As a kid, I was lying on my side on the floor, elbow on the floor and head propped in hand, watching TV, when I felt a tickle on my armpit, which I scratched.
It was a yellowjacket.
It promptly stung me on the armpit.
This was their mistake. Up until that point, I had no idea that they had built a nest in the bottom of the frame of the aluminum storm door which was only a yard or two from where the TV was located. But when I found it, I goobed up all the holes with caulk, grabbed two squirt guns*, and waited. Once they cleared a hole, I started blasting 'em. At the time, I was practiced enough with these bottles that I could squirt 'em right out of the air and then two-fisted drown them while they struggled on the porch, and then be ready for the next wave. And I didn't stop squirting until they stopped coming. The next day, there were more (I didn't know how nests worked back then), and I repeated this process until no more emerged.
And then I was satisfied.

--Patrick
*Actually an off-brand sort of window cleaner trigger bottle. We had a box of them in the garage and they made excellent squirt guns. Great range, high pressure, and long time between reloads. They were the Henry rifle of squirt guns.

I have just spent the last THREE HOURS putting our son to bed. Repeatedly. As I have done almost every night for the last week (my "weeks" start/end on Wed as far as I'm concerned) except for the one day I worked until 10p, when I arrived home to find my wife haggard and drawn, as though perhaps she'd just been yelling at our son for three straight hours, for instance. On Mon night, he kept this (and me) up until 2am.

He has to pee. He needs more water. He is scared. He wants to apologize. He wants to know when he will get a stuffed animal back (that we took away as a punishment). He wants to tell us about this idea he has. He wants to talk about his Xmas list. He wants to talk to himself endlessly. He wants to read. He needs a night light. He's too hot. He is angry at us and wants us to throw away/donate all of his toys. He is crying and remorseful and doesn't want us to throw away/donate all of his toys. He has come out for one fool reason or another so often every night that I haven't been able to join the forum's Empyrion game in days because I know I won't even be able to play for a full ten minutes before I have to go and shoo him back into his room. THIS IS NOT METAPHOR. Seriously, it's been 3hrs tonight and I think I've placed maybe 60 blocks total on this base design I've been building for almost three weeks straight now. For those who don't play Empyrion, think in Minecraft terms. For those who play Fortnite or Overwatch, imagine joining the lobby, and then once you are finally put into an actual match, you are almost immediately forced to leave. Every. Single. Time.
Kati's tired of it. I'm tired of it. Cranky's tired of it (as you might guess from the name). There is no legit reason for him to be doing this and not only can I not get him to understand this, I can't get him to understand that we know there's no legit reason for him to be doing this, and I have explicitly and patiently explained to him that the only thing ANY of us want from him once his bedtime arrives is for him to stay in his damn room and be quiet, and that doing ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL will just make all of us more angry and hostile towards him.

And meanwhile he is miserable and crying and blaming us for making his bedtimes so miserable by being so mean to him and trying to guilt trip us as only a precocious 8yr-old can, because paying attention to and interacting with him for the TWELVE ENTIRE HOURS (again, not metaphor!) prior to his bedtime was apparently not sufficiently enriching.

And I haven't hit him yet, but God help me the grass on the other side of that fence is such a LOVELY shade of green right now...

Anyway, if you're on Discord and wonder why I don't answer you right away, or wonder why I'm being so quiet, well, now you know.

--Patrick

I have just spent the last THREE HOURS putting our son to bed. Repeatedly. As I have done almost every night for the last week (my "weeks" start/end on Wed as far as I'm concerned) except for the one day I worked until 10p, when I arrived home to find my wife haggard and drawn, as though perhaps she'd just been yelling at our son for three straight hours, for instance. On Mon night, he kept this (and me) up until 2am.

He has to pee. He needs more water. He is scared. He wants to apologize. He wants to know when he will get a stuffed animal back (that we took away as a punishment). He wants to tell us about this idea he has. He wants to talk about his Xmas list. He wants to talk to himself endlessly. He wants to read. He needs a night light. He's too hot. He is angry at us and wants us to throw away/donate all of his toys. He is crying and remorseful and doesn't want us to throw away/donate all of his toys. He has come out for one fool reason or another so often every night that I haven't been able to join the forum's Empyrion game in days because I know I won't even be able to play for a full ten minutes before I have to go and shoo him back into his room. THIS IS NOT METAPHOR. Seriously, it's been 3hrs tonight and I think I've placed maybe 60 blocks total on this base design I've been building for almost three weeks straight now. For those who don't play Empyrion, think in Minecraft terms. For those who play Fortnite or Overwatch, imagine joining the lobby, and then once you are finally put into an actual match, you are almost immediately forced to leave. Every. Single. Time.
Kati's tired of it. I'm tired of it. Cranky's tired of it (as you might guess from the name). There is no legit reason for him to be doing this and not only can I not get him to understand this, I can't get him to understand that we know there's no legit reason for him to be doing this, and I have explicitly and patiently explained to him that the only thing ANY of us want from him once his bedtime arrives is for him to stay in his damn room and be quiet, and that doing ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL will just make all of us more angry and hostile towards him.

And meanwhile he is miserable and crying and blaming us for making his bedtimes so miserable by being so mean to him and trying to guilt trip us as only a precocious 8yr-old can, because paying attention to and interacting with him for the TWELVE ENTIRE HOURS (again, not metaphor!) prior to his bedtime was apparently not sufficiently enriching.

And I haven't hit him yet, but God help me the grass on the other side of that fence is such a LOVELY shade of green right now...

Anyway, if you're on Discord and wonder why I don't answer you right away, or wonder why I'm being so quiet, well, now you know.

--Patrick
Holy shit. I’m having a similar problem with my 8 year old daughter. Every goddamn night for weeks now. I feel your pain.

While "throw them in the coal cellar" apparently isn't allowed anymore for pedagogical reasons, I have read that "some children need or fare very well with" being put in a "stimulus-poor room" to sleep. Aka, put them in a room with a bed, a bucket, and a small bottle of water and leave them there.
Don't know if the kid'll fall asleep any faster (though, supposedly, yes), but since the whole point is to starve them for stimuli so they fall asleep, the parents definitely have more free time if you put your kid in a jail cell pedagogically justified sleeping room.

Only sort of somewhat related, but I feel like my childhood had a very negative effect overall on my sleeping habits for most of my adult life. Years of staying up late, reading in bed, watching TV in bed, playing video games in bed, talking on the phone, all eventually led to a bedroom full of stimuli that I couldn't put down and which I would use to "distract myself" until I could fall asleep - which led to me distracting myself from sleep. It took a lot of work, but now I have a very sterile bedroom - stimulus wise, at least. I don't read in bed, I don't look at my phone in bed, and we don't have a TV in the bedroom. The only two things I do in bed are sleep, and have sex. Now I'm out in 20 minutes or less from the time I lie down. The only unfortunate trade-off is that I can't go back to sleep if I wake up at the ass crack of way too early to go to the bathroom.

If you guys want I can spade the shit out of your children. The spade is how I deal with problems now.
Thinking of taking up the mantle of The Shoveler, Frank?
While "throw them in the coal cellar" apparently isn't allowed anymore for pedagogical reasons,..
Fun fact: the coal cellar in this house used to be my wife’s bedroom when she was growing up. Not because she was naughty, just due to space limitations.
the whole point is to starve them for stimuli so they fall asleep, the parents definitely have more free time if you put your kid in a jail cell pedagogically justified sleeping room.
We have done this. Several times. We have emptied his room of EVERYTHING except clothes and furniture and made him earn it all back in dribs and drabs through good behavior. But the problem is not one of too much stimuli, it is one of too little. We would be completely fine with him reading or playing quietly in his room if he couldn’t sleep. Both of us did (still do!) that sort of thing and yes it means less sleep at times but such is the price of an active imagination and a quick mind.
But no, what he craves is interaction/attention, and it doesn’t seem to matter whether it is positive or negative, just so long as it can be prolonged by any means necessary for as long as possible. And ultimately I have to go in there and play the heavy just so he will focus on me because as this fanily’s patriarch, it is not only my job to raise him to be a good person, it is also my job to protect family members from other family members’ silliness, and my wife needs the break. I have already discussed the possibility with him of locking him in his room at night, getting a baby gate, installing a Dutch door, or even a security door to make his prison experience that much more authentic, but these would NOT prevent him from throwing a tantrum, yelling/giving us a guilt trip, threatening himself or his belongings with harm, or doing any of the other things which force us to have to come in there and interact with him some more.
And then he complains that he gets scared at night, and I have to remind him that if he would just GTҒTS when he is supposed to, we would not have to come in there and terrify him every night until he finally gives up, and then he wouldn’t associate bedtime with being scary. But this is the kid who argued/sobbed away a full 90 minutes of his game time trying to convince us to extend it by...are you ready for this? One second*, so...kid logic.

—Patrick
*I explained to my wife that I was convinced this was not actually about his game time at all, but instead a power struggle where he was trying to get us to cave on something, and so I told her we should not give in under any circumstance, no matter how long he pressed.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to say that "caving" on things is not always bad, if backed up with teaching your child how to negotiate without whining and complaining.

How old is your son now? If the issue is actually getting your son to sleep, it might be worthwhile to sit with him in his room until he sleeps, even just in the opposite corner with a book, so he can feel safer until he falls asleep. It seems silly and like you are pandering, but if he says he's scared, it could be indicative of anxiety about something that he can't express well. Just set boundaries, such as "I will stay in your room until you fall asleep, but I'm going to sit over here and read."

Have you talked to your pediatrician about it? Most likely it isn't a physical ailment, but I'd imagine they might not only have some suggestions, but knowing your son for as long as they have, they might be able to point you guys in the right direction for a solution. Dei's suggestion that it could be anxiety-related could be on the right path. While we haven't experienced this particular issue with Li'l Z, I've noticed when he's getting a growth spurt, his normally easy-going demeanor is all over the place for days.

How old is your son now?
8 years old as per his previous post ;)

Anyway, while it might be anxiety or fear related, I don't know. A LOT of children, especially the smart ones with lots of imagination, have similar issues - my 6yo niece has a one hour minimum before she ever touches her bed; a friend of mine has an 8yo with similar issues.
I'm obviously armchair parenting here (I'm now babysitting 2 or 3 times a week on children or babies of friends - as long as I'm unemployed I might as well save them some babysitting/creche/daycare fees - but that's most definitely not at all the same thing ;-) ), but according to experts (ymmv), it really is most often a matter of too much, not too little. Yes, children crave and need attention, even negative attention. And they need lots of stimulation. For sleep, though, much like with adults, you really need to train the brain to stop. We've all read articles about no screens in the bedroom, no blue lights an hour before sleep, no energetic foods, etc for adults - all of that applies to children as well, if not more so.
Of course, this is difficult for many reasons. For PatrThom, for example, there's a good chance that he only *has* an hour or so a day with his son - even if that's the hour before he goes to bed, you still want it to be a meaningful hour where you can do (fun) stuff together. For another, these days almost all ways of entertaining children are stimulus-rich - if it isn't a tablet, tv, or smartphone, it's a multicolored, loud, responsive toy or something wild and unpredictable.
In many cases, the evening ritual can pretty much "start" with "ok, time for bed, go brush your teeth and get in your pyjama's". This, still according to some experts (again, ymmv), is far too late. Children *can* be trained to react well to "one hour to bed, let's put away all screens and change into pyjama's", then giving them plenty of time to adjust to having to wind down. This may still be an hour completely "lost" for the parent(s) as this is the time to tell about what happened today, to get the last energy out of the system, to ask for a last game together, etc etc. Done properly, though, the child will usually be more ready for bed and more willing to go. All of this, of course, not necessarily in the bed room (better not, in fact) but in a fairly "poor" area - asking your kid to calm down while the TV's blaring in the background and a friend or brother or parent is playing a console right next to it is a losing game.
The combination of a fairly stimulus-poor environment (aka, boring) coupled with positive things to look forward to the next day and wind-down time, may make a child more "willing" to go to sleep. "This evening's fun and I want it to go on forever!" is a bad mindset - "oh boy, I can't wait for tomorrow to get here, it'll be fun" can be a good one (or bad if it's a child who gets too excited looking ahead).

But, you know, all children are different. Some may just need to feel safe, in which case Dei's "sit in his room 'till he sleeps" might work far better.

... have you considered swaddling?
Yes, actually.
I've noticed when he's getting a growth spurt, his normally easy-going demeanor is all over the place for days.
The usual sign of a growth spurt is a really surly attitude leading up to it, followed by semi-comatose sleeping, followed by more “normal” behavior and a trip to the shoe store.

@Bubble181 is probably not that far off in his assessment. We already know that putting him to bed on the nights I am not home always goes easier. This is most likely his attempt to force me to spend time with him. But he is doing so in an unhealthy manner.

—Patrick

Last edited:
I have a little brother 8 years my junior. I used to babysit a lot. I found ways to make it less work.
When my wife used to babysit my niece, they used to play a game where she would tie one end of the sari she was wearing to the couch leg and the other to my niece’s leg, and then the niece would run to the end of her tether, my wife would haul her back, repeat.

—Patrick

I was babysitting a couple girls once...like 5 and 7 years old. They were so rambunctious, they were driving me crazy, and we were on a longish car ride (40 minutes..long for them, not so much for me). So, I jokingly said "let's play the quiet game! I bet you can't be quiet the entire trip. So-and-so can't help but talk, and she'll lose!"

Now, I made the suggestion as a joke, because when *we* were kids, we all understood that the "quiet game" wasn't a game, and it wasn't fun, and it was just a polite way for an adult to tell you to shut the fuck up. But these girls, it's like they'd never heard of it before. They spent about 30 seconds shit-talking each other on who was gonna win, and who was gonna break. And then, I'll be damned, they were quiet the entire trip. When we got there, they jumped out of the car and ran to their mom all giddy happy and screaming about how they won the quiet game.

Wtf?

--Patrick
I was thinking about this discussion this evening. I've been staying out of it because you have probably tried most everything and you don't need my advice. But I off-handedly remembered reading about a parent that gave their daughter an app of some kind that depicted her energy level as a battery meter. So at the end of the day, it was low and going to bed would help recharge it. I have no idea what the app was, whether it requires an activity tracker or not. I cannot even find the article I read any more. But, I did wonder if your little one might respond to that kind of framing of the situation. I know, not very helpful. I just figured it might be a new idea to you.

So apparently "my wife had surgery today and I have to take care of the kids and can't come in to work tonight" isn't a valid excuse to call in.

Their response sounds like a good excuse to start looking for a new job though.
I've already taken the prereq classes (finished on 8/13/18) to get into the lvn/lpn program and made over a 90 in class. I have to take the TEAS test this coming June and next January (2020)i should start my nursing degree. The only Shitty part about that is that I will probably have to quit and cash out my 401k in order to survive for the year and then I'll probably have to do uber or waitr on the side just for a little extra income. But yeah I've been planning my exit for a while now

Cajungal

Staff member
Paul F. Tompkins has a standup bit in which he shares a moment in which was completely humiliated, despite being completely alone. Today I know how that feels.

Let me say this: I am fine. It's funny now. There's no need for hugs or sympathy. But WOW, I have never experienced that before. Completely alone, yet I might as well be surrounded by people pointing and laughing. I'm going back and forth about sharing, but it's kind of an overshare I think.

Has anyone else had that feeling though?

Paul F. Tompkins has a standup bit in which he shares a moment in which was completely humiliated, despite being completely alone. Today I know how that feels.

Let me say this: I am fine. It's funny now. There's no need for hugs or sympathy. But WOW, I have never experienced that before. Completely alone, yet I might as well be surrounded by people pointing and laughing. I'm going back and forth about sharing, but it's kind of an overshare I think.

Has anyone else had that feeling though?
Yes.