Rant VIII: The Reckoning

My girlfriend has a non-malignant brain tumor. She's going to be ok, but is going to need to have brain surgery to remove it. I'm glad they caught it but this just sucks.
She talked to the neurosurgeon today. They're gonna have to do an angiogram sometime in the next week or two since it's apparently cutting off some veins in her brain and about a week later they'll do the surgery which will involve bone grafts from her ribs to her skull. They say it's fairly routine but it's definitely not minor surgery. Recovery is gonna be about two months so on top of everything else she's upset about going to be down for thanksgiving and Christmas.

Trying to fill out my Authors Guild profile for their new discussion boards.

One of the sections is to link your youtube channel.
Wouldn't you know, this is the time youtube goes down?

https://heavy.com/tech/2018/10/youtube-down/

This always happens to me when I'm trying to use a website for something important. It's my personal Murphy's Law. Sorry for breaking youtube :D

Talked to her more. It's not quite as bad as expected. They don't need bone from her ribs and she should be functional by thanksgiving and mostly normal by Christmas. The tumor is pressing on some veins but she's also going to have surgery at one of the best places for stroke/vascular work in the country so that's good too.

I drop my son off at school at lunch time because he's only doing half days, and holy shit the kids at this school are stupid dumbass drivers. They are allowed to leave campus at lunch time and they are reckless as fuck. In the parking lot alone they ignore a stop sign constantly and today when I hit my horn so one of the little shits wouldn't side swipe me I got flipped off. That's not even mentioning the dumb shit they do once they are on the streets off campus. I think I'm going to send an email to the school about this shit. They had a teacher out there once who literally pulled over every kid who ran that stop sign and bitched them out, but it's clearly not sticking.

I drop my son off at school at lunch time because he's only doing half days, and holy shit the kids at this school are stupid dumbass drivers. They are allowed to leave campus at lunch time and they are reckless as fuck. In the parking lot alone they ignore a stop sign constantly and today when I hit my horn so one of the little shits wouldn't side swipe me I got flipped off. That's not even mentioning the dumb shit they do once they are on the streets off campus. I think I'm going to send an email to the school about this shit. They had a teacher out there once who literally pulled over every kid who ran that stop sign and bitched them out, but it's clearly not sticking.
Back in my day the school would've had the town marshall out there ticketing every kid - but I'd be hard pressed to involve cops these days.

The police department for the town the school is in is pretty small. Maybe they should just have the school resource officer (aka the cop that hands out at the school) sit out there at lunch time.

GasBandit

Staff member
The police department for the town the school is in is pretty small. Maybe they should just have the school resource officer (aka the cop that hands out at the school) sit out there at lunch time.
Install a time-delay weight-triggered gate arm with a spike strip. So you HAVE to stop for a couple seconds or lose your tires.

I know, I know, probably more money than the school would want to spend.

Dentist office decided after 1000 dollars of work and 3 appointments that they will no longer deal with my insurer. this is due to the fact that the company cuts me the check directly to reimburse me. So I had to cough up the money immediately before leaving the office or they would consider me in non-payment.(they use to send me a bill and I would toss the check in the bank and pay the dentist.)

Which is dumb, because if the insurer paid them directly, they'd still be waiting that long--or longer.
I would be amazed if any insurer worth their salt wasn't on Net 90 terms with as many of their doctors as possible, and if they didn't stretch that Net 90 to Net 180, at least, as often as they could get away with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another day, another boneheaded "eat the seed corn" decision from our owner. I finally went and had a meeting with the general manager about the decidedly suicidal, shortsided, "fire-sale" mentality decisions coming down the pipe over the course of the year, and all I got was "it is what it is. Don't go hurting morale by talking to other staff about this."

I'd already started applying to a dozen jobs or so after the owner sold off our towers to rent them back. I think it's time to step up my job search game even more, now. We're steering for the rocks, and nobody wants to tell the guy at the wheel.

GasBandit

Staff member
You should tell him. If he fires you, unemployment.
I'd rather have something nice lined up and then bail out and let this place crumble without me. I relish the thought of the interest on his bank note making him destitute when he finally goes upside down/underwater and can't find a buyer.