Rant VIII: The Reckoning

GasBandit

Staff member
There are some countries (western civilized, European countries, mind you) where there's a list of approved baby names from which parents are permitted to pick. I often thought that anathema to liberty.

But on the other hand, MARS MILLENIUMFALCON STARCRUISER.

Naming your kid something outrageous like Mars Milleniumfalcon Starcruiser or Fa'nay Nay will subject them to a traumatic childhood and set them back in adult life. That's why I support the official lists of approved baby names. Sometimes a government bureaucrat really does know better than you.

Btw, one of my friends is named Adolf. It's a traditional family name, and I think all the first-born sons in his family have been named Adolf. But we just call him by his middle name.

Well there is something to be said for uncommon names, my wife and sister have both been hounded by collection agencies over dead beats with the same name.

Heh, my name has often turned into that Key and Peele sketch.

and lets see if anyone gets this reference,

Losipony

My aunt is about to succumb to cancer. My mom and the other siblings are all there, but none were able to make it in time before she slipped into unconsciousness. They are all saying their last goodbyes before she passes.

My aunt is about to succumb to cancer. My mom and the other siblings are all there, but none were able to make it in time before she slipped into unconsciousness. They are all saying their last goodbyes before she passes.
im so fucking there with you man. that entire final process is such an utter storm, i still cant believe i sat there and watched it happen live in person for my dad. be the rock man, im pulling for you.

My niece was feeling joint pains bad enough the doctor sent them to the hospital. She went straight from the MRI into surgery to remove bacteria infected bone. Surgery went well, they were given antibiotics and told they could leave the hospital this weekend.

This morning they told my brother that it's an MRSA infection and she's already feeling pain in other bones. I understand she's in the MRI again right now.

:(

MRSA is just Staph, it's its antibiotic resistance that's the problem. A person CAN recover from MRSA assuming they fight off the infection, it just means the docs don't have any medication to help that process.

--Patrick

She's 7. I'm thousands of miles away just getting little snippets, so I don't know anything specific, but my investigation into infections like this show he prognosis isn't terrible. It's rare, on the order of a thousand cases a year.

Articles suggest three things:

1. Surgery to remove dead and infected bone
2. IV antibiotics for 6-8 weeks
3. Chance of recurrence after treatment is 25% so she will have to keep it in mind every time she becomes ill

At any rate, a long hard road lies ahead for her, and she's such a tiny young person she may not be able to handle a lot of surgeries in a row or fight long infections.

She's 7. I'm thousands of miles away just getting little snippets, so I don't know anything specific, but my investigation into infections like this show he prognosis isn't terrible. It's rare, on the order of a thousand cases a year.

Articles suggest three things:

1. Surgery to remove dead and infected bone
2. IV antibiotics for 6-8 weeks
3. Chance of recurrence after treatment is 25% so she will have to keep it in mind every time she becomes ill

At any rate, a long hard road lies ahead for her, and she's such a tiny young person she may not be able to handle a lot of surgeries in a row or fight long infections.
That's just fucking terrible. I'm sorry man.

I hope someone is spending at least a little time trying to figure out how it got there in the first place. Many kids get Staph-related impetigo around or before age 7, it could be that instead of breaking out in the usual surface sores, hers decided to manifest a little deeper.

--Patrick

I'm sure they're looking for the infection source, but higher priority is resolving the infection itself.
I assume someone else is looking for (or at least asked about) the source, if only to keep her from gaining too many friends while at the hospital.

--Patrick

Poor wee shaver.... I hate seeing kids laid low, especially if it's something that's entirely not their fault. They hurt and they just want someone to make it go away, and there's little that we can do.

I had a super gross day today. I accidentally took the wrong med last week in place of the one that helps my stomach deal with all the stuff I'm taking. Since then, I've been feeling yuck. My doctor is worried that I have a stomach bleed :(

I'll spare you all the specifics but today was hideous. One thing after another went yuck.

The final straw?? I bought some Merino wool blend long johns at Costco and I put them on today after everything and I broke out in hives. I was covered in them :(

I got a call from my mom tonight. The neighbor got taken by the lovely tech support scam. I really didn't want to deal with it tonight, got home late and I was tired, but she said she was pretty worked up about it. So I went over.

She got the full work over. Passwords reset, security questions answered, crap ware installed. She even gave them her bank account numbers to pay them $400.

The poor lady was in tears. Luckily I brought my 7 month old along to help calm her down. She had no idea what was going on. I told her to go to the bank tomorrow to put in a stop pay and close her account. Made sure she had my cell to call me if they had any questions. I'm glad I went, and feel bad about not wanting to go. I'll never understand how people can do that to someone else.

People who scam the elderly and gullible are the lowest of the low. And since tech support scammers tend to live in Third World countries, I hope they step on a land mine.

Part of me can't feel bad about people who fall in such an obvious scam. Over here, victims of the earthquake were scammed by a group claiming to be members from a church in Brazil. They were told that "sponsors" in their country will build them new houses and they only have to pay for the construction permit. There were some who demolished their house so they could apply. Of course that this members dissapeared with the money. Even if I were desparate enough to believe in those people, at least I personally would obtain the permit.

People who scam the elderly and gullible are the lowest of the low. And since tech support scammers tend to live in Third World countries, I hope they step on a land mine.
While I sincerely hope they get Squidley's hives and pains in her stead and perhaps some really itchy balls with no means to scratch them, I can't really agree with hoping they die.

But how else are we going to get rid of all 23 million placed landmines in the world if we don't throw scammers on top of them!? Are there enough lawyers? Politicians? People who don't use their turn signals?

While I sincerely hope they get Squidley's hives and pains in her stead and perhaps some really itchy balls with no means to scratch them, I can't really agree with hoping they die.
Yes to itchy balls, no to revenge murder. This is a justice system I can get behind.[DOUBLEPOST=1475244918,1475244875][/DOUBLEPOST]
People who don't use their turn signals?

... Ok, I'll make an exception for that.

But how else are we going to get rid of all 23 million placed landmines in the world if we don't throw scammers on top of them!? Are there enough lawyers? Politicians? People who don't use their turn signals?
How about singers who sing the national anthem all funkified at sporting events?

At any rate, you can usually spot tech support and email scammers due to the broken Engrish. My family's gotten quite a few emails from nearly identical addresses as our friends. They usually say they're on a mission trip to the Philippines and lost their passport. They need some money wired into their account just for a week or so. And if you do that, then God will bless you. The weird thing is we actually have some friends who regularly visit family in the Philippines so the story is plausible. However, our friends do not sound like the City Wok guy from South Park.

For a non-Third World example, there were a lot of fake contractors scamming people in San Antonio this summer. This was after the area experienced baseball-sized hail that damaged a lot of roofs and windows. They'd come around to obviously damaged houses and offer their services. They'd do it for cheap. They left their contracting license at home and it would take too long to retrieve it. They were just starting out so their business didn't have a website yet. There was no need to check for references. Okay, they weren't technically licensed but their preschool-aged kid has leukemia and can't you just do them a favor? Great, now how about giving them cash up front?