Rant VIII: The Reckoning

*sigh* So much for that appointment. It's at 9 AM. It's 4 AM now and I can't sleep. I'll probably have to call and cancel.

What's the fucking point anymore?
i would say at this point, whatever you need it to be day to day. its what I do with my crippling depression. sometimes its coming home from work and playing with my dog for 10 minutes.

Dave

Staff member
You're not useless, you're sick. You have a disease. If I had a disease of the body that made me feel listless and have no energy, I'd go to the doctor. The problem with your disease is that it's insidious in that part of its mechanism for survival is making you feel listless, worthless, and takes away all hope. But that's not the truth. That's the disease being an asshole. Fuck that disease.

I'm a huge jerk and I hate myself. De-friended someone on FB because she posted a sudden "HEY I GOT MARRIED" photo.

She was the last woman I had a shot at dating a few years ago and now at this point I'm just done. I should accept I'll be alone because at this point there's just no reason to try. I'm getting old, I live with my family and I'm just another useless lump on society.

Dave

Staff member
I'm a huge jerk and I hate myself. De-friended someone on FB because she posted a sudden "HEY I GOT MARRIED" photo.

She was the last woman I had a shot at dating a few years ago and now at this point I'm just done. I should accept I'll be alone because at this point there's just no reason to try. I'm getting old, I live with my family and I'm just another useless lump on society.
How old are you?

Dave

Staff member
Well, I was almost 30 when I met my wife and got married. You just never know when it's going to happen. Mine did when I gave up on even trying, cut my hair, got new glasses, and said fuck it - I'm doing things differently from now on.

I'm 33 and still trying and failing at relationships. I'm just glad I didn't sire any kids yet (that I know of).

You JUST GOTTA KEEP AT IT!

Speaking of kids, I was sitting in the mall waiting for someone and a young father and his toddler daughter walked by. She was excited and running all over the place and saying hi to every person she met. Dad looked so proud. My bloody biological clock started almost audibly ticking in my ears.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm 37 and when I was 34 a long-running relationship I thought was perfect got its guts ripped out like a sailboat hitting a reef and it turns out the boat's keel was rotten all along and I had no idea and now sometimes I can't even. But I try.

I'm 38 and the only romance in my life is the sexy gifs thread, cam hostesses, and the occasional rendezvous with a married friend from high school.

Last edited:
I'm 37, my current girlfriend and I started dating just a week shy of a year ago. My first girlfriend was at 25, my second at 30. That ended in 2011. Do the math, not exactly Casanova here. Point is, sometimes it takes a while, but it happens.

fade

Staff member
I'm 39, met my wife at 19, married at 21. And well, let's just say waiting longer might not have been a bad thing...

On the one hand, I have a very close friend who's 33, and started dating his first girlfriend a year ago. They're doing fantastic.

OTOH, both my uncle and aunt are bachelors, in their 50's, living with their mother, and very happy people whom I love.

Either way, shit doesn't have to suck.

I didn't have a long-term relationship until I was 30. That ended rather amicably after two years. Immediately after that ended, one of my girl friends asked me out and we dated for a few weeks (she kept moving the goal posts but it probably lasted for a month). Then two things happened at the same time. First, my latent insecurity took over and I just couldn't relax. Second, she was probably dating her own student.

Now I'm discovering that I'll go on four or five dates with a girl, and that's when she either ghosts on me or gives me the "this is a really bad time for me" speech. I no longer mind being rejected because that's just life. But I HATE ghosting. What's so hard about growing some lady-balls and telling the guy she's not interested?

Anyways, just keep at it.

I'm 36 and on my second marriage. It's all good guys, it's all good.

Obligatory: "I'm always on the lookout for the next ex Mrs Adam."

I'm 39, and I have embraced the phrase "confirmed bachelor" (not with the gay connotation). And I'm happy, although I'm stuck in a years-long rut of not doing much. *sigh* Whatever.

Fun (?) Fact: This is more about me than I've ever said here in every previous post combined!

We married fairly young. I was 24 and @HCGLNS was 26. We got engaged fairly quickly, but had a long engagement. I knew that I wanted kids, but when we got married, I was way too immature so we waited a while.

My sister on the other hand never wanted kids and loved being single. But when she met the right guy, she got married and ended up having two kids very close together. This was all in her early 30s.