Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Dave

Staff member
Just downloaded Vivaldi and it takes Chrome extensions. I loaded it up and it didn't seem to be any faster than Chrome. I guess I'd get used to the interface, but as I'm already sitting on 32 GB RAM Chrome doesn't tax me too much.

Isn't Vivaldi supposed to be the new hotness browser?
Great idea, but I can't get a straight answer on if any extensions there (or default with it) that it blocks and/or you can remove SuperCookies. Everything else is 100%, so that's the closest so far.

But it's the "I don't want ANY crap on my computer EXCEPT for sites I SPECIFICALLY allow it for" that I want. If I log in, then they can store shit. Once I've logged out, their shit should be 100% gone. Anything else is IMO an invasion of privacy. Yes I can't stop them from storing and saving my IP. I know that's impossible to completely get around (except via things like Tor, as even VPNs are suspect), and I'm willing to pay that price but not the "We'll keep tags on you everywhere in your browser." I'm NOT cool with that.

Thus I'm surprised clearing supercookies isn't a more common thing. My guess is people don't know about them, and media companies (Facebook, Google) are 100% OK with that.

Great idea, but I can't get a straight answer on if any extensions there (or default with it) that it blocks and/or you can remove SuperCookies. Everything else is 100%, so that's the closest so far.
I usually take whatever browser and then add Disconnect/Ghostery/uBlock (or some combination) to it.

--Patrick

I usually take whatever browser and then add Disconnect/Ghostery/uBlock (or some combination) to it.

--Patrick
Sure, but those are concerned with getting stuff on to your browser in the first place. I'm concerned with that, but I also want to be able to (automatically) nuke the few that manage to get on, because some will, sooner or later.

If your browser can still be fingerprinted to match it to a user, you're still screwed no matter what you do with your so-called "security settings". If you're that paranoid, you're better off running a different linux live CD every day and running the browser off of that.

Sure, but those are concerned with getting stuff on to your browser in the first place. I'm concerned with that, but I also want to be able to (automatically) nuke the few that manage to get on, because some will, sooner or later.
To that end, I generally nuke all downloaded content every so often while using my browser. Yes, that's right, that means I have to log back into everything, even right after I leave it. I don't save passwords, history, bookmarks, cookies, or anything else for that matter. Shopping on Amazon/NewEgg? Close windows, nuke all content, go to Amazon, finish transaction, nuke content again. Done with Halforums? Close all windows, nuke all content. Wandered through reddit/Wikipedia/TVTropes/tech sites on a curiosity binge and want to go somewhere else? Close all windows, nuke all content. You get the idea. The sites I visit may record my IP, but my computer records nothing that it ever gets to share with someone else. Oh, and I have multiple computers, so my profile is not consistent. Also I occasionally make stupid changes to my user agent string, and actually wish there were a browser add-on that would add random noise to your browser agent just for this purpose.

--Patrick

If your browser can still be fingerprinted to match it to a user, you're still screwed no matter what you do with your so-called "security settings". If you're that paranoid, you're better off running a different linux live CD every day and running the browser off of that.
You're right DA, which is why I set my "paranoia" level to a certain point. Beyond that it's too much of a pain in the ass. But below it I could live happily. But no longer, which is... WTF? For an organization like Mozilla to claim to be so freedom/privacy oriented, and then snatch such a valuable tool... it's just frustrating.

fade

Staff member
I guess I subscribe to the "no one actually cares enough to bother tracking me" school of anonymity. That and nothing I do on the internet is special enough to warrant any extra steps of privacy.

I guess I subscribe to the "no one actually cares enough to bother tracking me" school of anonymity. That and nothing I do on the internet is special enough to warrant any extra steps of privacy.
That's what they want you to think. Right up to the time the men come knocking at your door.

I just go under the assumption that they can watch anything that we do on the 'webs and there is nothing I can do to hide it from them. I hope they enjoy my boring life.

I understand that "I have nothing to hide so I don't care about privacy" is a dangerous mentality, but it's hard to overcome the inertia of inaction. My life is fine right now as it is, so it's difficult to make myself care.

Plus I feel sorry for the poor bastard who has to go through my Internet history, I'll tell you that.

fade

Staff member
I understand that "I have nothing to hide so I don't care about privacy" is a dangerous mentality, but it's hard to overcome the inertia of inaction. My life is fine right now as it is, so it's difficult to make myself care.

Plus I feel sorry for the poor bastard who has to go through my Internet history, I'll tell you that.
I think the Futurama busy street analogy is pretty apt. I just assume everyone can see me as I walk down the street in public, be it Evil Inc or Average Joe. It's not so much that I have nothing to hide as it is that I'm in a public place. If I don't want someone to see what building I enter, I get sneaky.

GasBandit

Staff member
Add me to the "life is boring; have fun with that, nosy people!" list.
If you've ever said an unkind word about a politician in an electronic medium, this becomes false, and you could potentially disappear, under the worst of circumstances.

If you've ever said an unkind word about a politician in an electronic medium, this becomes false, and you could potentially disappear, under the worst of circumstances.
Truthfully? Nothing I wouldn't say to their face. I generally don't put things online I wouldn't want to be traced back to me. That kind of venting I say in person, and only to certain people.

GasBandit

Staff member
Truthfully? Nothing I wouldn't say to their face. I generally don't put things online I wouldn't want to be traced back to me. That kind of venting I say in person, and only to certain people.
I wasn't implying you were "braver" online, just that online interaction leaves a record that is more easily searched, catalogued, and used as pretense for action.

And anything even as innocuous as "I don't agree with the president" can become sedition.

If I think it could possibly be traced back to me, I don't say it unless I'd be comfortable saying it in person. Leftover caution from being on so many MUDs, I guess.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
If I think it could possibly be traced back to me, I don't say it unless I'd be comfortable saying it in person. Leftover caution from being on so many MUDs, I guess.

--Patrick
Just because you're comfortable saying it doesn't mean it's not of use to someone with less than your best interests in mind.

Agreed, but by limiting myself to saying only stuff I would actually say, the best they can hope for to "blackmail" me is to take me out of context.

--Patrick

I wasn't implying you were "braver" online, just that online interaction leaves a record that is more easily searched, catalogued, and used as pretense for action.

And anything even as innocuous as "I don't agree with the president" can become sedition.
Possibly, but I wasn't meaning to imply I'm "braver". I just usually am very conscious about what I share/state online. I've always been a bit paranoid about people I don't know/didn't consent to being privy to any of my personal information or thoughts. Since I started using the Internet back in '98-'99, I never believed that we were truly anonymous, and that if someone tried hard enough, they could trace you eventually. I guess you could use anything against a person if you really try hard enough. I wouldn't put it past this administration or other bully types (say, Gamergate et al) to try something if I got in their crosshairs.

fade

Staff member
Under the worst of circumstances, I could trip on the sidewalk this morning and break my neck, end up with my head in my shorts, and drown in my own filth. But I'm not going out of the house in a plastic bubble.

GasBandit

Staff member
Under the worst of circumstances, I could trip on the sidewalk this morning and break my neck, end up with my head in my shorts, and drown in my own filth. But I'm not going out of the house in a plastic bubble.
But you are probably going to steer clear of active construction sites and areas known for high incidences of violent crime.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Ian Hanomansing is not Jian Ghomeshi. And no it's not ok to confuse them because all Indians look the same, and it's not funny to whisper that behind the back of the Indian immigrant in our shop.

Last week I took a day off and had a sub cover my class. Apparently the sub is a clueless dolt, because some of my students were able to distract him while another broke into my cabinets and stole approximately $120 worth of stuff.

Thankfully three students came forward to identify this little heist... but still. What the fuck?! Fucking asshole kids.

The only upside is the main instigator of this little plan will be suspended for a week and removed from my class for the rest of the year. But I feel like my trust has been completely shattered.