Random Video Game Crap

A few months ago... Destiny 2 coming to PC.

Find out today PC release date is after console and no dedicated servers so MP PVP P2P

LOL, NO.

Fucka yoooouuuuu ah.

I thought that battle.net was going to have servers. Maybe not. :/
Blizzard only announced that they would be using their social features with the game, and will manage the game from the blizzard launcher, but neither the PC nor console release will have dedicated servers (of note: Destiny 1 didn't have dedicated servers, either)

GasBandit

Staff member
My RL BF's 7 year old daughter will

NOT

STOP

PLAYING

this game. If her parents would let her, she'd spend every dime of her allowance on the in-game purchases, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Uh...is it Second Life meets Minecraft or something?
Yeah, basically it's kind of a "second life" adventure creation kit targeted at the prepubescent. All the content is user-generated. In-game transactions use a currency called "Robux," which you earn either slowly in game through building and doing things... or quickly by spending real life currency.

And yeah, if your kids are entirely unmonitored... stuff happens parents generally don't like, from what I hear.

I haven't touched Persona 4 Golden in a while, but now my wife is playing it on my Vita, much more than I can play other games, so my sig is going to be stuck on that and there's nothing I can do about it.

Anyone else a fan of Dorkly's videos? Because their long-time series Pokemon Rusty came to an end recently.

Now they've released the whole series in one 47 long movie. :D

So this new game launched on Steam recently: Life is Feudal Forest Village.

Some negative reviews claim it's a clone of Banished. On the surface, it does look similar as far as its settings and maybe graphics. Still, I've always been interested in this concept for a sim game. I've considered buying Banished in the past and this game looks similarly interesting. I think @GasBandit put a lot of hours into Banished. What say you, Mr. Can of Beans?

GasBandit

Staff member
So this new game launched on Steam recently: Life is Feudal Forest Village.

Some negative reviews claim it's a clone of Banished. On the surface, it does look similar as far as its settings and maybe graphics. Still, I've always been interested in this concept for a sim game. I've considered buying Banished in the past and this game looks similarly interesting. I think @GasBandit put a lot of hours into Banished. What say you, Mr. Can of Beans?
I like Banished a lot, but be warned, it is CHALLENGING. Punishing, even. You have to build and expand, but not too quickly, but definitely not too slowly! If you expand too slowly, your villagers age and die and there aren't enough trained, educated new people there to replace them. If you expand to quickly, the populace outbreeds their capabilities of growing food, and then there's starvation and deprivation. A balancing act that makes my nards clench. Banished routinely goes on sale for more than 66% off, and I'd recommend picking it up when it does.

From my gaming blog, back when it was relevant:

If you think you're good at management sims, you should step up and try Banished. It will humble you. Unless you do everything right and provide for about 17 different needs for all your people at all times without fail or delay, people are going to die. A lot of people. The game's resource generation vs consumption is incredibly tilted against you. Unless you have fully educated villagers using the best tools and wearing the warmest clothing and in exactly just the right amount of houses (not too few, not too many), it's a long slow slide into starvation and desperation. My village has been going about 43 years, but because villagers apparently age at 4 times the normal rate (I started off with 10 villagers in their 20s, and within 5 years the oldest ones in the village were in their 40s easy) there have been generations of turnover, especially due to all the starvation. You can't farm enough. You can't forage enough. You can't mine enough, you can't quarry or herd or smith or log enough, fast enough. At my peak, my village boasted almost 100 residents. After about a 20 year recession that worsened into depression (not helped by the frequently completely useless merchants that came to call, no I don't want to buy your stupid pumpkin seeds, I already grow my own, why the hell didn't you bring iron), I'm back under 30 residents, mostly from starvation.

The game plays very similar to Tropico or Gnomoria in that instead of controlling individual villagers you simply order the places for them to live and work built, and manage as a taskmaster/city planner. It starts off kind of easy because a new map will have abundant resources just lying on the ground around you... but once you use that up, it's much slower and more expensive to mine it/cultivate it/quarry it. There are no goblin attacks, no rebels, no hurricanes or zombies... just your silent mental wail as you watch people under your charge wither and die because your skills at management were a single iota less than divinely perfect.

Banished had a lot of moments that made me fucking ragey because I'd finally be getting somewhere, then I'd suddenly not have a resource I swore I just had a shit load of, and then half the village would get sick and die, and then suddenly everyone was old, and couldn't make babies anymore. Management sim yes, but it's punishing as fuck. Gas and I have similar playtime and a similar amount of achievements, so take that as you will.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh my god, the Far Cry 5 crying is hilarious and tragic at the same time.

The funniest part is that he failed to notice that there are black characters among the cultists in the trailer. Hell, there's even one in the game's big poster that's a parody of the Last Supper:

Also, a puma attacking a fisherman.

Let me see if I can find the Twitter thread Kati read to me the other day, the one that had me rollin' at they hatin'.
Ah, here it is:

I would add "Final Fight" to that list. I mean, even the Mayor himself joins in on the violence!

--Patrick

Last edited:
Reactions: Dei
Wouldn't be a Far Cry game now if you didn't get attacked by a wild cat of some sort every 23 seconds.
Oh, hunting in Far Cry 4 was hilarious for me. I'd set up in a small clearing with a machine gun. Toss some bait, watch a tiger pounce on it, and gun it down. Then go skin it, and use its flesh to bait my next prey. And just keep going until, eventually, my machine gun was out of bullets and the clearing was littered with tiger corpses.

I killed more tigers than are living in all of Asia!

What the actual fuck. I would almost swear that was The Onion levels of parody, and yet, not.

Hell, this makes me want to play the game and I've never played a Far Cry in my life.

GasBandit

Staff member
I pirated 1 and 2, bought 3 (I didn't know until I bought it it required Uplay, now I check more carefully) and didn't buy 4 or Primal specifically because of Uplay. And I'll probably skip 5 for the same reason, it sounds like.

But from what I've seen, it's mostly been the same game over and over in different locales, only with more cut scenes with each subsequent title.

I love that 9Volt hopped in to egg that on.[DOUBLEPOST=1496172796,1496172438][/DOUBLEPOST]Fuck Far Cry 5 is the greatest gift Ubisoft has given to gaming. I haven't laughed this hard in days.

I love that 9Volt hopped in to egg that on.[DOUBLEPOST=1496172796,1496172438][/DOUBLEPOST]Fuck Far Cry 5 is the greatest gift Ubisoft has given to gaming. I haven't laughed this hard in days.

Every time I stumble on Clark's newest feces, I am simultaneously impressed at the new lows, and elated at remembering he's not on Popehat anymore.

Scrolling through his feed, he's gone heavy into race realism with a side of NRx thrown in there.

Let me see if I can find the Twitter thread Kati read to me the other day, the one that had me rollin' at they hatin'.
Ah, here it is:

I would add "Final Fight" to that list. I mean, even the Mayor himself joins in on the violence!

--Patrick
Anyone have the link to the original Twitter thread? I'd love to see some of the responses to this.

Anyone have the link to the original Twitter thread? I'd love to see some of the responses to this.

Best I could do was to find the followup. The original tweet appears to have been deleted and replaced by a "sorry had to take my account private for a bit there" message, because I couldn't find it even though I waded back as far as May 22. I don't recommend it, btw. Slogging through the rest of his tweets is only likely to make one angry.

--Patrick

Judging by the kind of shit we see on Lindsey Ellis's Twitter, I'm not sure I'm in the same boat with you.

"the continued rejection by romantic partners when they find out our hobby"

Weird; you'd think being a racist shitpile would be a real hit with the ladies. :rolleyes: So tired of the persecuted gamer nonsense. Women game. A lot of them are into geeky things. They don't up about it because the moment they do, out comes the gatekeeper shit. I read one story where a woman was talking to a female co-worker about a lady friend of hers who's big into video games and other geek stuff. In comes eavesdropping male co-worker, first showing curiosity in the form of "I've never heard of a woman interested in those things. I gotta get her number." At refusal, he began demanding contact info, and this went on for 45 minutes before he gave up. And the woman telling this story summed it up in a sentence--"You have nothing to offer her but your desire for her."[DOUBLEPOST=1496183247,1496183054][/DOUBLEPOST]

Best I could do was to find the followup. The original tweet appears to have been deleted and replaced by a "sorry had to take my account private for a bit there" message, because I couldn't find it even though I waded back as far as May 22. I don't recommend it, btw. Slogging through the rest of his tweets is only likely to make one angry.

--Patrick
Ah, but you found such a juicy winning tweet. "Treasonous." :rofl: