Random Video Game Crap

Elite Dangerous released a new camera suite to use in game (I've posted screenshots using my ship cameras) and people have been using it to make better trailers than the devs.

(This is also more bait to tempt @bhamv3 into getting it)

SWTOR recently released the 5.2 patch with the new "War on Iokath" content.

It sucks. Well, it doesn't suck, but it's bland, grindy, and can be played through in about 2 hours, less if you've got top end gear. It doesn't really tie in to the main plot (by design) and the only truly noteworthy thing is that it brings Jace Malcom, Theron Shan's dad and the badass trooper from the "Hope" trailer, into a major role. He's the Supreme Commander of the Republic forces.

- he's the guy who fights Sith in hand to hand and grenades Darth Malgus' face.

By far the most telling statistic of that screenshot:
"Games: 584. Installed: 2"
I had a lot before I installed Nier Automata and Mass Effect Andromeda. My gaming hard drive is only a 250 gig solid state. Definitely in need of storage update.

People continue to use the new Elite Dangerous camera suite to make really cool videos.

Make sure to look for the Thargoid ship at the end.

After reading all of Ravenpoes post, I decided to start up Elite Dangerous again.

Just flew to Hutton Orbital in the Alpha Centauri system. Took around 40 minutes to get there. It is 0.22 Lightyears away from the spot you warp into and the only way to get there is with using supercruise. Yawn.

GasBandit

Staff member
After reading all of Ravenpoes post, I decided to start up Elite Dangerous again.

Just flew to Hutton Orbital in the Alpha Centauri system. Took around 40 minutes to get there. It is 0.22 Lightyears away from the spot you warp into and the only way to get there is with using supercruise. Yawn.
Hah, you'd have loved pre-jumpdrive space engineers on a PVP server. My base was 45 minutes away from anywhere, on purpose. That was (and really, still is) the only form of offline security. If your base is found while you're offline, it's lost.

But it made "trips into town" to go get stuff a bit... well, let's just say I'm glad I had youtube and two monitors.

Why in the verse did you go to Hutton? We send people there as a joke. It's the longest, most pointless flight in the game.

Did you at least pick up a Hutton mug?[DOUBLEPOST=1494034352,1494034288][/DOUBLEPOST]

Why in the verse did you go to Hutton? We send people there as a joke. It's the longest, most pointless flight in the game.

Did you at least pick up a Hutton mug?[DOUBLEPOST=1494034352,1494034288][/DOUBLEPOST]
It got even worse. I had to deliver a passenger to the "For the Mug!" memorial. Arrived, scanned and nothing happened. The Quest was bugged. :/

Yeah, I wasn't having a good night, but a lot of that was on me, too. I didn't even realize it was mostly Gasbandit until watching the video.

Also: Holy shit, those boob physics ARE amazing. What skin is that?

Last edited:

Gamespot posted a short video discussing the idea some people have that games can only be "fun." Naturally, they disagree because, like film or books, stories can be incredibly engaging without being necessarily "fun."

Of course, the comment section is already turning into a giant shit show.

Gamespot posted a short video discussing the idea some people have that games can only be "fun." Naturally, they disagree because, like film or books, stories can be incredibly engaging without being necessarily "fun."

Of course, the comment section is already turning into a giant shit show.
Pathologic is probably my favorite counter point to the "games should be fun" arguement. Not fun... and I dreaded finishing it, because it just kept getting more and more depressing. But that was an experience I sought out and I'm glad I did it.

I don't know if I would characterize Shadow of the Colossus as "fun," either. The entire time I played it, I felt like I was merely discovering what was going on, little by little, and then the ending was definitely NOT "...and then they lived happily ever after."

--Patrick

I had fun playing Shadow of the Colossus. I enjoyed discovering things, enjoyed taking on the colossi even if it took a while on some of them. Of course it was clear there was something not quite right, but experiencing that curiosity is enjoyable for me too. And then I was horribly punished for it! But that doesn't erase the earlier fun.

My thought on it is using the word "fun" is the wrong approach. I wouldn't consider horror games "fun" the same way I'd see a Mario game or Katamari Damacy as fun. I wouldn't call Papers Please or This War of Mine "fun." I'd call them incredibly engaging or compelling, though. If a game turns me into a blubbering mess like The Walking Dead or Life is Strange, in that moment, I wouldn't think "Yay! I'm having fun!"

And yet, so many comments in that article are all like, "NO! Games are fun! They're supposed to be FUN and only FUN!" And funny enough, when I try arguing with them, they don't discuss the merits of a game's story, but its gameplay. They're bringing up things like quick time events and walking simulators. They don't seem to understand that that's a different argument altogether. It isn't about the gameplay, but the content.

Mind you, I know you bunch are more insightful than these kids, so it's kind of preaching to the choir.

My thought on it is using the word "fun" is the wrong approach. I wouldn't consider horror games "fun" the same way I'd see a Mario game or Katamari Damacy as fun. I wouldn't call Papers Please or This War of Mine "fun." I'd call them incredibly engaging or compelling, though. If a game turns me into a blubbering mess like The Walking Dead or Life is Strange, in that moment, I wouldn't think "Yay! I'm having fun!"

And yet, so many comments in that article are all like, "NO! Games are fun! They're supposed to be FUN and only FUN!" And funny enough, when I try arguing with them, they don't discuss the merits of a game's story, but its gameplay. They're bringing up things like quick time events and walking simulators. They don't seem to understand that that's a different argument altogether. It isn't about the gameplay, but the content.

Mind you, I know you bunch are more insightful than these kids, so it's kind of preaching to the choir.
Perhaps "enjoyable" would be a much better term.

Though, in thinking on this, I realized that one reason I like Resident Evil 7 so much is that it is actually fun. It's sometimes terrifying and oppressing as well, but it's beautifully paced to also include moments of catharsis when you finally overcome the horror elements and can fight back.

I like to call them the "Fuck you!" moments.