Random Video Game Crap

Hmm. Can't imagine what it's like to mostly like things but only have people remember the parts you disliked....
Go through your posts and tally up how many things you say you like, and how many things you say you dislike.

fade

Staff member
Go through your posts and tally up how many things you say you like, and how many things you say you dislike.
If I had the time, I would. Hell, half the time I say, "That was pretty good, but I didn't like X.", the reaction is, "Oh fade didn't like it".

Jim Sterling did a review of the new Zelda. He gave it 7/10 and didn't see the same game that everyone was praising. Which, you know, is fair because that's how opinions work. He liked it, though, as a 7 would indicate.

Except his site has been DDOS'd and the barrage of comments he's getting range from "you did it for the clicks" to "Sony bought you." And of course, the ever classic, "Why not just do an OBJECTIVE review!"
Personally, I think it's a fair number. I haven't seen his review yet to know if we see the same things as flaws, but there are definitely things that could be better. (At this point I still can't read it because I can't get it to load yet)

You have to remember though, that we live in an age that anything below 9 or 10 is catastrophic failure of a game, because major review publishers are expected to keep those numbers high.

Hmm. Can't imagine what it's like to mostly like things but only have people remember the parts you disliked....
Least you don't get hacking attempts, told to drink bleach you fat cunt, have your website DDoS'd, etc.

You just get ribbed a bit.

(I get the same shit in real life. It's fucking annoying when people who have literally no quality filter tell you you don't like anything because you shit on trash like Transformers and the like)

I'd rate it about the same after playing 2-3 hours at my friends house the other day.

7 on 10 seems fair.

I'd even lower it a notch but hey, I'm not a fan of the series.

So I guess nostalgia runs strong for some, my friend loved it.

I'd probably rate it higher. If I weren't so busy, I'd probably be spending every minute playing. It's given me a sense of adventure that I havent gotten from a game in a long time, and even Skyrim didn't do that for me. Probably helps I love the Zelda "world" as it were.

I finally managed to read the review. I agree with every complaint that Jim had. I think a 7 is fine coming from Jim, because I expect his scale to actually go from 1-10 instead of 7-10 like some.[DOUBLEPOST=1489442691,1489442323][/DOUBLEPOST]As an aside, I got a mod to make the lighting in Skyrim brighter, and the game became way easier for me to play. Go figure. When the lightning was dark and oppressive, I had to more or less make myself try to play it.

You have to remember though, that we live in an age that anything below 9 or 10 is catastrophic failure.
Don't remind me. I work for a place that gives everyone an exit survey, I have to deal with people all the time doing things like, "Well, Patrick was amazing and all but it was raining and the line was too long at the McDonalds on my way there which means my socks were still wet, so I'm only giving him a 6." And then I have to go before someone to explain why I had to get a 6 and drag down everyone's score. I haven't shoved @Eriol's feedback article in anyone's face so far, but I still might if people keep making such a big deal about it.

--Patrick

Horizon Zero Dawn has finally convinced me to grab a ps4. First thing I'm doing when I get outta the hospital.
I was legitimately very happy with it but I think I didn't give it the time it deserved because I was so eager to play Zelda. I did finish it, I think 85% complete, and it was well worth it. There are things I'd change about it but overall, very well done. The human AI sucks ass through a straw but the bot AI is fantastic.

Today, Jon "Jontron" Jafari learns why celebrities shouldn't talk politics (well, except of course if you plan to tote the hollywood liberal line)
I mean, there's the Hollywood liberal line and there's the white people shouldn't dilute the purity of the race also, immigrants shouldn't come to America, I say this as the son of a Iranian immigrant line.

Outing yourself as a massive racist is probably not going to endear you to a lot of people.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, there's the Hollywood liberal line and there's the white people shouldn't dilute the purity of the race also, immigrants shouldn't come to America, I say this as the son of a Iranian immigrant line.

Outing yourself as a massive racist is probably not going to endear you to a lot of people.
I'm not saying what he said was right, I'm just saying if he'd said something approximately as offensive but left-leaning, a-la Charlie's "all cops are racist murders" stance, for example, his voice might still be on Yooka-Laylee.

I'm sure if he was providing voices for that weird shitty Postal clone from a year or two back where the developers had actual ties with white nationalist groups, he'd be fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
SOOM: a Doom mod that replaces all non-drum instruments in the soundtrack with a digital sample of the first syllable sung in "All Star" by Smashmouth.

GasBandit

Staff member
That was oddly satisfying.
I can verify that green car's driver is a huge asshole and I hate him, but I'd never considered having the patience to drive the forklift out on the backroads until I find him (or rather, until he inevitably rams me), then carry him all the way to the railroad crossing. That forklift has a REALLY low top speed, even when it isn't carrying something.

I would have suggested, after going through all that effort, the player could have delivered the final insult after tossing the beer at him, that he could then have pissed on him as well. Yes, that's a game mechanic. Or, at least flipped him off as he got hit.