Random Video Game Crap

I hear that's a problem with Overwatch, too. People hide in clutter but then get found out by people who have their detail turned down.

--Patrick
Been a thing all the way back to RTCW. Sadly, makes competitive games not so competitive when people don't see the same things.

In Starcraft 2 people would use low settings so that they can easily see hidden units.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just watched Terrik play as the monster against randos for a couple rounds. It doesn't really look like it has any more jump scares than Left 4 Dead, and shining a flashlight on the monster instantly stuns him, and if you hold the flashlight on him for 4 or 5 seconds, it forces him to teleport away.

Really, if a team of investigators sticks together and watches out for each other, the monster shouldn't be able to make any headway, imo.

But none of the investigators he played with stayed together XD

I just watched Terrik play as the monster against randos for a couple rounds. It doesn't really look like it has any more jump scares than Left 4 Dead, and shining a flashlight on the monster instantly stuns him, and if you hold the flashlight on him for 4 or 5 seconds, it forces him to teleport away.
Also, I won both my matches.

SidAlpha did some investigating into all the asset flipping games on Steam. Particularly how, exactly, they make money on trading cards. Turns out, it's more brilliant than I realized and they're making a LOT more money than I thought.

Hopefully, this video goes super-viral and we can get this shit shut down.

Had a discussion with a guy about speed runs in games. For example, the new DOOM. According to HowLongToBeat, the average speed run is about 4 hours. The guy said someone beat it in just over an hour.

His evidence? A speed run video with the time he said...except the player used several exploits like wall and floor clipping. And I'm sorry, but no. Why do people count those? You're not even playing the game at that point. You're taking advantage of little errors in the game code that the developer didn't intend. It's not the way the game is meant to be played. And yet people count it.

Had a discussion with a guy about speed runs in games. For example, the new DOOM. According to HowLongToBeat, the average speed run is about 4 hours. The guy said someone beat it in just over an hour.

His evidence? A speed run video with the time he said...except the player used several exploits like wall and floor clipping. And I'm sorry, but no. Why do people count those? You're not even playing the game at that point. You're taking advantage of little errors in the game code that the developer didn't intend. It's not the way the game is meant to be played. And yet people count it.
That's part of the speedrun community--if it's in the game, it counts. Because if you start to quibble over what's intended and what isn't, the whole thing falls apart. I'm pretty sure a lot of us have beat bosses or challenging parts of games in ways that weren't intended by the developer. Like getting Ceaseless Discharge to fall off the mountain in Dark Souls, or skipping the gyro maze in Zelda: Breath of the Wild by tilting your gamepad so the ball falls into the end slot immediately. It turns into a Magic: The Gathering match of rules-lawyering at that point. So either everything goes, or it doesn't work.

You want to see a system really fall apart? :p There's a side of speedrunning that is based on button-presses as opposed to completion time. This guy went through an insane amount of glitching and math in Super Mario 64 to shave off what's called a half A-press, i.e. still holding the A button from a previous move to start another move in a different part of the game. And then followed controversy among the button pressing community over whether you could have half a button press or not.[DOUBLEPOST=1492259959,1492259379][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sounds like a Nintendo 64 game.

And by that I mean, Shovel Knight is a retro game that updated shit which needed updating, and it sounds like Yooka-Laylee just is one of those games. I know he says Banjo-Kazooie is one of his favorite games, which probably means he's played it a lot, which means he's used to its little errors and quirks. That game had a lot of control issues, transition issues, the kind of crap we accepted in the late 90s, but wouldn't if Banjo-Kazooie was released today. In that sense, if Yooka-Laylee was released 20 years ago, it'd probably be fine.

But it wasn't, so his assessment is probably accurate. I'll likely rent it at some point, but I'm already having difficulty finding time to play the excellent games I already own, so no need to dip into this right now.

That's part of the speedrun community--if it's in the game, it counts. Because if you start to quibble over what's intended and what isn't, the whole thing falls apart. I'm pretty sure a lot of us have beat bosses or challenging parts of games in ways that weren't intended by the developer. Like getting Ceaseless Discharge to fall off the mountain in Dark Souls, or skipping the gyro maze in Zelda: Breath of the Wild by tilting your gamepad so the ball falls into the end slot immediately. It turns into a Magic: The Gathering match of rules-lawyering at that point. So either everything goes, or it doesn't work.
See, I don't mind if it takes advantage of the game mechanics. That's different. Like a Portal player who kept a portal open to a turret until reaching GlaDos, which got it to shoot down all of her AI spheres in one go. That's brilliant.

Clipping through the environment and skipping an entire level? That's cheap. I don't count it.

That game had a lot of control issues, transition issues, the kind of crap we accepted in the late 90s, but wouldn't if Banjo-Kazooie was released today. In that sense, if Yooka-Laylee was released 20 years ago, it'd probably be fine.

But it wasn't, so his assessment is probably accurate. I'll likely rent it at some point, but I'm already having difficulty finding time to play the excellent games I already own, so no need to dip into this right now.
That was exactly Jim Sterling's assessment in his review, too. It's one thing to make a game that hearkens back to classic games (Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge). It's another thing to carry all its annoying quirks that don't fly with today's standards. That sort of thing is unforgivable.