Random Comic Book Crap

Here's a weird thought, the Prankster and Toyman are the only surviving Superman villains in "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" And lets get real here, they'd have gotten out of jail at one point because supervillains, that means that the Metropolis underworld would likely be lead by an angry toymaker and the poor man's Joker! And then there's Braniac's space-ship, did they dismantle it or is it in a wearhouse somewhere? The same could be asked of all of Lex's gadgets he didn't use, including the warsuit which I'm assuming exists here as the time where Braniac became fully mechanical was close to when he accidentally destroyed Lexor with said warsuit. FUCK-I'd love a sequel that'd follow up on this, but my logical mistrust in sequels to standalone elseworlds makes me nervous of it.

I love how some old comic writers had NO idea telekinesis was a thing, in Detective Comics ol' Jonny Jones uses "Martian Molecular Hypnosis" on a baseball to slow it...the writer really wanted us to believe you could hypnotize a baseball...weird times.

OH-also in the same issue it was revealed that Batman was the first Robin, let THAT melt your brain!

DOUBLE ALSO-holy shit was J'onn Jones' dialogue a bit stale in the old days.

Zappit

Staff member
Finished Secret Empire - so you don't have to! Read on for spoilers from this literary shitshow!

Hydra Cap confronts the heroes on the steps of the Capital wearing an Iron Man suit powered by most of a Cosmic Cube. (This won't be the dumbest thing you read here.) Cap immediately kicks their collective asses, pushing back a dramatic hero dogpile. Then, Bucky shows up and gives Cap the last piece of the Cube. Hydra Cap uses it to remake the world, turning it into a Hydra paradise. Falcon-Cap is apparently immune to all this, for some reason, and unveils the heroes' master plan for defeating Hydra.

Then Hydra Paradise disappears as Ant-Man and Kobik emerge from Hydra Cap's chest, because Ant-Man apparently needed to meet Kobik and guide her out. (Wait for it, the stupid is just ramping up!) Then, feeling really shitty about the whole "make Steve Rogers a facist" thing, she brings back...regular Captain America. So either Kobik replaced Rogers with Hydra Rogers, drawing him into a Cube prison, or really did rewrite him and then replaced him with a new one...or who fucking cares at this point, because I sure don't! Anyway, the two Caps have an epic street fight broadcast on every television in the world, ultimately exonerating original recipe Rogers. Good Cap wins, evil Cap gets arrested, and rah-rah, sis-boom-bah, America drops it Nazi makeover like a high school goth phase.

However, Kobik wouldn't bring back everyone her Hydra Cap killed or restore the places they destroyed. Black Widow gets about two panels for a funeral, and all the Inhumane Hydra rounded up get freed from the concentration camps. Las Vegas is still dead. Because America needed the reminder. Apparently that reminder is a cosmic child god can fuck up everything in the world and only undo a tiny little sliver if it and feel better. The End.

Last edited:
DC & Dark Horse have been re-collecting many of their old crossovers. Is it wrong that I want to buy all of them? I greatly enjoyed them growing up. I think Batman/Predator and Superman/Aliens are particularly good. The sequels to them aren't quite as good, but they're fun. Then you get some really oddball ones like Lobo/The Mask, Superman/Madman, and Joker/The Mask.

I already own the Dark Horse/Superman collection. And recently bought Batman/Predator (collecting all three crossovers). I kinda want to own them all.

DC & Dark Horse have been re-collecting many of their old crossovers. Is it wrong that I want to buy all of them? I greatly enjoyed them growing up. I think Batman/Predator and Superman/Aliens are particularly good. The sequels to them aren't quite as good, but they're fun. Then you get some really oddball ones like Lobo/The Mask, Superman/Madman, and Joker/The Mask.

I already own the Dark Horse/Superman collection. And recently bought Batman/Predator (collecting all three crossovers). I kinda want to own them all.
This is why I'm looking forward to the Wonder Woman/Conan the Barbarian crossover by Gail Simone they're starting later this month. People are being like "Why is this happening? It's so stupid." Yeah? That's kinda the point. It's gonna be stupid fun.

I had no idea there was a Batman/Predator crossover. I'd only heard of the Batman/Alien one. I'll have to check that out.

I had no idea there was a Batman/Predator crossover. I'd only heard of the Batman/Alien one. I'll have to check that out.
That surprises me a little. Batman/Predator is probably the best known and most well-regarded of all the crossovers. There was a Batman/Predator 2 & 3, but as I said, they're not quite as good. The recent collections they're doing has a book collecting all three of them in one.

When I think about it, it's kind of crazy how many crossovers DC & Dark Horse have had. These new collections include ones I've never even heard of. But here's a list of most of them, as far as I know:

-Batman/Tarzan
-Batman vs Predator 1, 2, & 3
-Batman vs Aliens 1 & 2
-Superman vs Aliens 1 & 2
-Superman vs Predator
-Superman vs. Terminator
-Superman/Tarzan
-Superman/Madman
-Superman & Batman vs Aliens & Predator
-JLA/Predator
-Batman/Starman/Hellboy
-Green Lantern/Aliens
-Lobo/The Mask
-Grifter/The Mask
-Joker/The Mask
-Ghost/Batgirl
-Young Justice/Spyboy
-WildC.A.T.S./Aliens

The last one impacted the industry more than I thought when I read this article on it. Spoilers, as it pertains to Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch.

That surprises me a little. Batman/Predator is probably the best known and most well-regarded of all the crossovers. There was a Batman/Predator 2 & 3, but as I said, they're not quite as good. The recent collections they're doing has a book collecting all three of them in one.

When I think about it, it's kind of crazy how many crossovers DC & Dark Horse have had. These new collections include ones I've never even heard of. But here's a list of most of them, as far as I know:

-Batman/Tarzan
-Batman vs Predator 1, 2, & 3
-Batman vs Aliens 1 & 2
-Superman vs Aliens 1 & 2
-Superman vs Predator
-Superman vs. Terminator
-Superman/Tarzan
-Superman/Madman
-Superman & Batman vs Aliens & Predator
-JLA/Predator
-Batman/Starman/Hellboy
-Green Lantern/Aliens
-Lobo/The Mask
-Grifter/The Mask
-Joker/The Mask
-Ghost/Batgirl
-Young Justice/Spyboy
-WildC.A.T.S./Aliens

The last one impacted the industry more than I thought when I read this article on it. Spoilers, as it pertains to Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch.
Some of those probably warrant a look on WTF value alone.

The Lobo/The Mask one really stands out for me.

--Patrick
That one was great! Two cartoonishly violent characters trying to kill each other in an R-rated Looney Toons fight? It's hilarious.

My favourite part is when...
The fighting reduces them both to disembodied heads and they beat each other with weapons they hold with their respective tongues.

EDIT:
And in case no one believes me on that:
Lobo Mask.jpg

Last edited:
Marvel really wanted to squeeze readers over X-Factor, huh? At least the Peter David stuff. It doesn't seem like any run was ever collected properly. Visionaries has pieces of it floating all over, and out of order. The post-Civil War stuff got up to two complete collections before Brevoort said they couldn't justify the cost, so now the rest is scattered around 12 or 13 other volumes, some containing as few as three issues.

I wish there was a Kindle paper equivalent for LCD screens. I'd avoid so much trouble just reading stuff on Marvel Unlimited, but trying to read at length on a real screen hurts my eyes. Kindle only works because of whatever witchcraft Amazon did to create the paper-like screen, so it's no different on my eyes from reading a book made of dead tree.

I read the cliff-notes of the latter half of Superboy Volume 6 today...I know it goes without saying but there is a REASON Rebirth exists, and this is part of it. Just...just so confusing. Although it WOULD explain why we haven't seen Kon-El lately, as logically he shouldn't exist anymore...I wonder if/hope that'll be addressed!

figmentPez

Staff member
It's surprising how well Batman vs Predator works, it's a damn good story. Especially given how terrible Superman vs Aliens is; absolutely horrible. It's a bad story, with a brick-stupid Superman, and it makes me angry just thinking about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1505107921,1505107498][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wish there was a Kindle paper equivalent for LCD screens. I'd avoid so much trouble just reading stuff on Marvel Unlimited, but trying to read at length on a real screen hurts my eyes. Kindle only works because of whatever witchcraft Amazon did to create the paper-like screen, so it's no different on my eyes from reading a book made of dead tree.
I've been waiting for a full color eInk screen since I first heard of the technology. Current news stories say it might happen in 2018 but I've heard the technology is 2 years away before. At this point I'm wondering if it's going to have to be another technology that finally brings color to true eReaders.

It's surprising how well Batman vs Predator works, it's a damn good story. Especially given how terrible Superman vs Aliens is; absolutely horrible. It's a bad story, with a brick-stupid Superman, and it makes me angry just thinking about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1505107921,1505107498][/DOUBLEPOST]
I respectfully disagree on Superman/Aliens. I like it a lot. It's my personal favourite of the bunch. But of course, there's a major Superman bias going on with me. :p Plus, I read it at the time it was published when I was a teenager, so I guess bias and nostalgia masks issues like that. I re-read it recently and still don't see the issue. Unless you mean him not killing bugs. It's a bit extreme, even for Superman, I guess. I'm like, "They're bugs! It's like swatting flies on the farm!"

fade

Staff member

JESUS CHRIST-look at what they did to Weasel! Bad enough Blind Al was basically barred from continuity.
To be fair, it looked like they were setting Weasel up to be a breakout as far back as the 90s. He is superhuman, even if he is a weenie. He's producing Reed Richards level tech in a basement.

figmentPez

Staff member
I respectfully disagree on Superman/Aliens. I like it a lot. It's my personal favourite of the bunch. But of course, there's a major Superman bias going on with me. :p Plus, I read it at the time it was published when I was a teenager, so I guess bias and nostalgia masks issues like that. I re-read it recently and still don't see the issue. Unless you mean him not killing bugs. It's a bit extreme, even for Superman, I guess. I'm like, "They're bugs! It's like swatting flies on the farm!"
It's not just that he was refusing to kill, it's how much he held back in a situation where there were obvious violent aggressors slaughtering people who couldn't defend themselves. He went, alone, into a situation where he knew his powers would be limited, and he just kept acting like he was nigh-invulnerable. I know he usually is, but he's supposed to be smart character, and he has lost his powers before. He was just straight up stupid in how he handled things.

It felt like a wasted opportunity to show off not only that Superman can be smart, but to show how unrelenting the Xenomorphs are.

Anyone remember the name of this comic? Its about a spacepig captain who meets his adoptive father years after he thought he was dead, only half of his body is all metallic and what not. I read it in one of those "History of comic books" that were huge in the 90s and 2000s but that is LOST in the house among all the other books strewn about.

In a futile quest to find a She-Hulk one shot from eight years ago in my local's back issues, I found many late run issues of X-Factor, three trades worth, each issue for $1. Those OOP trades are going between 60 and 80 each, which is ridiculous, so this was a cool find.

And in case anyone wants any of DC Convergence, they've got two completely full longboxes of it. Anyone? No? :p

Made a long rant elsewhere about the recent push back against the variety of new books being published in the last few years. Especially against a book like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

I really don't understand why some people rage so much on one book.

1) There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of other books out there. There are plenty I don't like because of the writing, the art, etc. I don't care for any books written by Bendis or Hickman, but I don't rage about it or directly insult them on social media. I don't crap on people who enjoy them, either. I just don't bother with their books. Same for art. I'm not a fan of Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, or Jim Lee. If they're on a book I used to read, I just stop reading it and see if I'll like the next creative team. Hell, I read Daredevil from Kevin Smith's run right to Mark Waid's run because I liked every creative team (except the Shadowland stuff). Soule's run didn't interest me, so I didn't bother.

2) Squirrel Girl is inherently a silly character. It's frigging SQUIRREL GIRL. What do some of these people expect? A super serious, emotional drama? No. The comic and its style - both writing and art - suit the character.

3) "Oh, but now she's drawn with more meat on her bones." So what? Jokes have been made for decades on women's portrayal in comics. There are literal lists of Liefeldian examples of inhuman proportions. One character - ONE - is drawn differently who really, was never a sexualized character in the first place. Again, it's SQUIRREL GIRL. What's so wrong with her drawn that way?

4) The art isn't bad. It's just a different style. It's similar to the reductive, but exaggerated style in today's popular cartoons like Adventure Time, Rick & Morty, etc. I'll fully admit the Erica Henderson's faces sometimes look odd, but the comedic, exaggerated style suits the comedic, exaggerated style of the comic and the character.

Hell, the same argument applies to all the other currently changed Marvel comics. If you don't like the current direction or creative team? Wait awhile and I guarantee it'll change within a year or two. That's how comics have worked for decades. Just find other books by creative teams you DO enjoy. See if they have some creator-owned stuff at Image, IDW, Oni, or Dark Horse.

And mostly importantly, if someone actually enjoys a comic you don't? Let them! You won't enjoy every single comic out there. You're not the target audience for every book. and it's ridiculous to think you would be or that you're entitled to it.

Last edited:
Even though I find the faces come off as more sloppy than expressive 50% of the
time, I otherwise have been enjoying Squirrel Girl, both the writing and the art. Our library now carries the collections, so I've been catching up. It's a good, light-hearted read. (Although the margin notes on every page are usually funny, but get a little tedious. I'd probably laugh harder if they spaced them out a little more.)

You're not the target audience for every book. and it's ridiculous to think you would or that you're entitled to it.
I don't even understand why these people would even want to be the target audience of every book. I know I certainly don't have the time, disposable income or space to buy every issue of every series being published.

I don't even understand why these people would even want to be the target audience of every book. I know I certainly don't have the time, disposable income or space to buy every issue of every series being published.
It's funny, because you don't have that problem in other forms of media. No one complains that there are TV shows aimed at certain audiences, or that not all movies are made for every audience.

fade

Staff member
When Hugo Strange was legit, did no one think it was rather odd for their therapist be, like, really jacked?

When Hugo Strange was legit, did no one think it was rather odd for their therapist be, like, really jacked?
Eh. If you're listening to other people's problems all day, you need to have a stress outlet for yourself.

Beyond that... just comic book logic, I guess.