Random Comic Book Crap

Waller: You work out WAY too much, what's up with that?

Hugo: So I can fight Ba-HELP people, like this psychic super criminal that I...won't exploit.

A Tumblr blog showing that JACK KIRBY DIDN'T LIKE DRAWING EARS.

http://jackkirbydislikesears.tumblr.com/

Seriously, I have a lot of his work and they're right! Massive amounts of hair. Helmets. Hats. Hoods. Almost every one of his iconic characters' ears were covered in some fashion or another.

HOW HAVE I NEVER NOTICED THIS BEFORE? This is beyond mind blowing. Though to be fair, it's not that he COULDN'T draw ears. I've flipped through his Fourth World stuff and there are still characters with their ears showing. So it's not like Rob Liefeld where he COULDN'T. He just didn't like to, apparently.

A lot of Peter David's X-Factor trades are OOP and/or way too expensive, especially when some of them only have three or four issues. Brevoort outright said they would only continue the Complete Collection if the first two trades sold enough, and that was years ago, so I guess Complete will need a little asterik next to it. So I've been building up on the floppies where I find them in back issues longboxes, filling in gaps via ebay, saving myself a lot more money this way and as of today ...

Managed to get #229 and now I have everything post-Secret Invasion. Not sure if someday I'll have them bound, but at least now I can read them without killing my eyes on Marvel Unlimited.

So I was thinking tonight (which explains the smoke coming out my ears :p ). With all the controversies going on in the comics industry these days, like Eddie Berganza finally getting fired and the recent controversy with CB Cebulski, to say nothing of the industry as a whole not as strong as it used to be, I wonder...

Would a major, rebellious shake-up be possible today? I mean on the scale of Image Comics founding in the 90s, where you had six of the industry's top artists all jump ship and form their own company.

I'm not what exactly a shake-up on that scale would mean today. And I'm not sure I necessarily mean a bunch of top talent forming their own company. Today's market probably couldn't sustain a new company, no matter the talent. But something big that turns the whole industry on its ears, makes everyone stand up and go, "Holy shit," and reinventing how we look at the industry.

So I was thinking tonight (which explains the smoke coming out my ears :p ). With all the controversies going on in the comics industry these days, like Eddie Berganza finally getting fired and the recent controversy with CB Cebulski, to say nothing of the industry as a whole not as strong as it used to be, I wonder...

Would a major, rebellious shake-up be possible today? I mean on the scale of Image Comics founding in the 90s, where you had six of the industry's top artists all jump ship and form their own company.

I'm not what exactly a shake-up on that scale would mean today. And I'm not sure I necessarily mean a bunch of top talent forming their own company. Today's market probably couldn't sustain a new company, no matter the talent. But something big that turns the whole industry on its ears, makes everyone stand up and go, "Holy shit," and reinventing how we look at the industry.
Either of the big two going under, with Image, IDW, Dark Horse, etc vying to fill the void. I honestly don't see what could really shake things in comics right now as the industry goes.

DC thinks it has the next steps, i.e. sharing profits with creative teams and having a few titles where the artist guides the story while the writer just makes dialogue to work with it a la a TV show, but I don't think those are going to affect things as much as DC believes.

So I'm watching Linkara's old reviews on Countdown to Final Crisis and...wow. I read the first few issues of the series before jumping off. And I saw it as a huge disaster, but WOW. I forgot how many frigging pointless tie-in mini-series happened and how little actually happens in the main series.

And Dan Didio thought this was "52 done right"!?

Its sad to know there is a REASON the New 52 existed, which was also ironically the reason Rebirth exists and now I'm waiting for DC to fuck up again and give us DC:We promise this is the last time we do this, WE SWEAR!

And Dan Didio thought this was "52 done right"!?
I love that, as Linkara points out either in that video or another, that there's a hidden message in Final Crisis that says "don't worry about Countdown" or something like that.

Its sad to know there is a REASON the New 52 existed, which was also ironically the reason Rebirth exists and now I'm waiting for DC to fuck up again and give us DC:We promise this is the last time we do this, WE SWEAR!
I think DC is letting Marvel carry that torch for a while. Marvel is starting their own Countdown in February, after all :p.

DC thinks it has the next steps, i.e. sharing profits with creative teams and having a few titles where the artist guides the story while the writer just makes dialogue to work with it a la a TV show, but I don't think those are going to affect things as much as DC believes.
Now that I'm on the retail side of things I love what DC is doing. The biggest advantage with what DC is doing is that they're thinking long term for their health and survival.

They're looking at the drain happening to their (and Marvel's) talent, going to Image where a creator can have a book sell as much as 20-30k less and give creators an equivalent payday. So increased Royalties, profit sharing, and ownership sharing, is the steps needed to keep writers like Lemire, from following the Brubaker, Hickman, and Fractions of the industry from going off and doing their own thing. It will also help them to potentially woo some of them back (I'll be shocked if we don't see a Hickman penned DC book announced in the next 2 years). Much preferred over finding whoever will work for cheap, and relying on 3 to 4 writers (Bendis, Waid, Slott & Aaron) for all your top titles and the books you care about actually selling.

Using the Marvel style won't sell a single comic in and of itself, but it will force writers to be more collaborative and not just turn in screenplays, and give the artists a chance to flex their storytelling muscles, which I think can only help comics in the long term.

I do think what DC is doing is smarter and better, but I don't think it on its own will be a revolution like what Nick was talking about.

But maybe happier creators with more personal investment and stronger teamwork between them will lead to that.

Got into an argument with someone online who claims WATCHMEN (the graphic novel, not the movie) is niche, has never been relevant, and isn't studied in universities or been written about in academia.

I threw huge truth bombs at him and yet he's just kept saying "Nope! you're wrong!" Of course, all he's spouting is opinion without backing it up with anything.

I provided multiple links, including academic journals from major universities, and a course provided by Cambridge frigging University. And mentioned that it's not on Time's 100 Greatest Novels, it's the ONLY graphic novel listed.

Can't wait to see what bullshit he responds with.

The whole thing started, by the way, in an article about a possible new Spawn movie. I half-joked that Spawn hasn't been relevant since the 90s (he really hasn't). This guy is trying to tell me that Spawn is just as popular and relevant today, moreso than Watchmen or Ninja Turtles.

Zappit

Staff member
Got into an argument with someone online who claims WATCHMEN (the graphic novel, not the movie) is niche, has never been relevant, and isn't studied in universities or been written about in academia.

I threw huge truth bombs at him and yet he's just kept saying "Nope! you're wrong!" Of course, all he's spouting is opinion without backing it up with anything.

I provided multiple links, including academic journals from major universities, and a course provided by Cambridge frigging University. And mentioned that it's not on Time's 100 Greatest Novels, it's the ONLY graphic novel listed.

Can't wait to see what bullshit he responds with.

The whole thing started, by the way, in an article about a possible new Spawn movie. I half-joked that Spawn hasn't been relevant since the 90s (he really hasn't). This guy is trying to tell me that Spawn is just as popular and relevant today, moreso than Watchmen or Ninja Turtles.
Ninja Turtles? Dude, that's a troll. Seriously, that dude's just trolling you.

Ninja Turtles? Dude, that's a troll. Seriously, that dude's just trolling you.
Yeah, that's pretty obvious. I'm honestly curious to see what he'll say to the facts I actually provided. Because of COURSE he'll have a smarmy response.

Funny enough, I completely Image is still publishing Spawn. Not including digital or collected edition sales, it barely cracks 10,000 sales a month. That's certainly a far cry from the 1.7 MILLION copies in its debut.

Zappit

Staff member
True, but an Image creator selling over even over 3,000 copies a months is doing pretty well financially. Could be worse. I think McFarlane's focusing on his other ventures now because his book has been dropping off. It is less relevant.

I've traced Slapstick's grimdark beginnings all the way to "Avengers: The Initiative", where after going through constant training being called a "New Warrior" as an insult, Slapstick straight up tries to MURDER HIM with a hammer...and gets away with it....Jesus. AND-of course, it was Dan Slott who wrote it. He...baffles me as a writer, just so much.

B

BErt

Image dump from a pretty cool event this evening, even if it was at Ohio State :p
5B864DC8-6E9F-49EB-87D6-69FEE24A4E6D.jpeg
Exhibit will be running from now until October. Panel was with 2 big collectors that contributed some of the displayed art
222373E4-C23E-4110-AB62-4F5CEAD9EB0A.jpeg
Cover of an old Spring Issue
7B56252A-4AB7-4A5D-800E-4160FC7653B7.jpeg
Norman Rockwell at one time was going to draw Alfred E Newman for them...then he didnt.
24910817-5363-448D-B199-582184D45429.jpeg
Sergio!!!!
A842A433-F6F7-41E5-9C36-306FC7D5D00C.jpeg
0CB1EEF9-AD1A-42E9-8AFD-1F3D5DE42D04.jpeg
885836D6-628D-4975-9993-74A10D2DAA47.jpeg

I went on a rather long tirade about the comic book market today. Most of it you've probably seen me say multiple times already. But some insights that, after putting it all together, I think makes a lot of sense. Especially from the perspective of someone who's been collecting for nearly 30 years and seen personally how comics have changed.

Welp, not only has that thread exploded (my notifications haven't stopped all day), but someone from a comics website contacted me about joining. It's non-paid, but they do get free digital comics for review purposes. And we're discussing the idea of hosting my videos on their site.

http://capelesscrusader.org/
I envision you becoming a spearhead voice of reason against Comicsgate. This is really cool!

In other random comic crap, several comic shops have refused to order alt right asshole D&C's comic. One of their supporter's broke one store's window. Now they're ordering the comic, while D&C's supporters threaten other stores that there will be consequences for refusal.

This is what happens when you cave to these trogs. They get emboldened.

In other random comic crap, several comic shops have refused to order alt right asshole D&C's comic. One of their supporter's broke one store's window. Now they're ordering the comic, while D&C's supporters threaten other stores that there will be consequences for refusal.

This is what happens when you cave to these trogs. They get emboldened.
I have no idea who D&C is beyond your description, and frankly that paints a pretty clear picture, but if it's an independently printed comic, can't they just order it direct?

And yes, I know I'm looking for logic in a group that has none.

I have no idea who D&C is beyond your description, and frankly that paints a pretty clear picture, but if it's an independently printed comic, can't they just order it direct?

But if they order it direct, it won't show up in the store.

This isn't about comics; it's about media influence and indoctrination.

To sum up, they're GamerGate but for comics.

Their whole plarform is they want "good comics," without forced gender politics or some nonsense.

Their "criticism" entails personal attack campaigns. And you'll never believe who their targets are. (Hint: Not men.).

But if they order it direct, it won't show up in the store.

This isn't about comics; it's about media influence and indoctrination.
I assumed as much. I see that these guys care less about find support in each other and more about using their platform to hurt as many other people as possible. I would not be upset if the warehouse printing the comic mysteriously caught fire... :whistling:

Better yet, struck by lightning. An "act of god" sends a clear message: knock that shit off.

Zappit

Staff member
Gonna vent just a lil' bit.

With IDW rebooting Transformers soon, I've been trying to get trade paperbacks of the better series, and it's been a pain in the ass. More Than Meets the Eye (best TF series ever, by the way) Volume 2 is impossible to find at retail price. Best I can figure is it's the first appearance of the Decepticon Justice Division. If you haven't seen them, and you like TFs, look them up. They're Megatron's secret police that torture-murder deserters and traitors. Brutal stuff.

Also, fuck Amazon book resellers. Fuck them in the ass with a rusted metal spike. I don't know what's been up with them lately, but they're starting to try to get away with thousand dollar price tags on older paperbacks - a lot of them seem to be starting this. The resellers carrying this volume - save for a few - are charging obscene prices. I ordered this book from one - no show. I'll be getting my money back from that. I just ordered from another one with a better rating. Fingers fucking crossed.