Random Comic Book Crap

I'm dreading June 14. My DC comics are spread nicely across the month like the perfect layer of jam on toast. Then there's June 14, a big hunk of congealed former fruit when every Marvel comic I read happens to come out on the same day.

I'm dreading June 14. My DC comics are spread nicely across the month like the perfect layer of jam on toast. Then there's June 14, a big hunk of congealed former fruit when every Marvel comic I read happens to come out on the same day.
If you already know they're going to be crap, why torture yourself? Spend the money instead on a few nice cups of tea over the week until the DC goodness arrives again. :)

If you already know they're going to be crap, why torture yourself? Spend the money instead on a few nice cups of tea over the week until the DC goodness arrives again. :)
It's the money, not the quality.

And I know it'd be the same cost if they were spread across the month, but it feels like more when spending it all at once :p. Maybe that's just me.

It's the money, not the quality.

And I know it'd be the same cost if they were spread across the month, but it feels like more when spending it all at once :p. Maybe that's just me.
Not just you. It's a lot easier to spend a big chunk of cash on something on payday than it is when it's early in the week before payday and that same chunk will leave you with nothin'. :p

Not just you. It's a lot easier to spend a big chunk of cash on something on payday than it is when it's early in the week before payday and that same chunk will leave you with nothin'. :p
That's true; I didn't consider the payday element, but yeah, when cost is spread out it tends to hug different paydays. Fortunately I'll get paid two days later.

And atually, there is one I'm close to dropping. Spider-man: Renew Your Vows has the super-family dynamic I like and it's set away from the rest of the Marvel universe, so it gets to be its own thing, but more than half the time, it just isn't engaging. The best thing from this comic was a short back-up in one issue that was just Peter and Annie May doing non-superhero stuff. DC lets Tomasi do that more in Superman, but that title ships twice a month, so DC probably figures it can get away with "Clark, Lois, and Jon go to the carnival" or "go on a road trip" without losing readers, even though issues like those are the best ones. Which is funny, because the non-super personal life is the stuff Marvel used to be really good at. That's part of why I love Ms. Marvel so much.

Similarly, Aquaman is at its best when it's political, but they probably won't sell many issues unless they throw in superhero arcs here and there. I'd love that book more if it was just dealing with Atlantis politics vs the surface world politics.

As for Spider-man: Renew Your Vows: this is going to sound embarrassingly early 90s, but I don't want to drop it until it finishes the Venom two-parter.

figmentPez

Staff member
For anyone who has Amazon Prime and hasn't been keeping up on all the benefits they've added, there are Marvel comics in Prime Reading. Titles currently available include:
- Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal
- Captain Marvel Vol 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More
- Hawkeye Vol 1: My Life as a Weapon
- Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol 1 (and a number of other Star Wars titles)

And... I'm realizing there's too many to list. Deadpool, Thor, Spider-Man, X-Men, Star-Lord, Avengers, etc.

You can read them in a Kindle app, or in the online reader in a web browser. I'm not sure if they're available in Comixology.

How long can ducks LIVE in the Disneyverse? Scrooge is Eighty in 1947, and has enough vitality to kick the asses of EIGHT Beagle boys! And holy shit, Donald's GRANDMA is still alive too, and despite being logically over a hundred she doesn't look that physically dissimilar to any of the younger ducks.

And THEN-there's the Triplet's birth, Donald had to be 3-10 in 1930, making him 27 at the oldest in 1947. This means Della had to have had the boys at 17 at the youngest, and IN BETWEEN that time she basically shirked them off on her Navyman brother while their boy's father is never seen nor even NAMED because of a firecracker accident...the house of Mc/Duck is a dark one.

How long can ducks LIVE in the Disneyverse? Scrooge is Eighty in 1947, and has enough vitality to kick the asses of EIGHT Beagle boys! And holy shit, Donald's GRANDMA is still alive too, and despite being logically over a hundred she doesn't look that physically dissimilar to any of the younger ducks.

And THEN-there's the Triplet's birth, Donald had to be 3-10 in 1930, making him 27 at the oldest in 1947. This means Della had to have had the boys at 17 at the youngest, and IN BETWEEN that time she basically shirked them off on her Navyman brother while their boy's father is never seen nor even NAMED because of a firecracker accident...the house of Mc/Duck is a dark one.
Yoshi, hun, they're ducks that talk and wear clothing. Logic went out the window from Day 1.
Best to pick an answer that you like and make it your own headcanon.

fade

Staff member
Wow, I didn't even know they touched on why the nephews were always with Donald, nor did I know they had a named mother.

Wow, I didn't even know they touched on why the nephews were always with Donald, nor did I know they had a named mother.
Yeah she does NOT appear much, even in the first triplet's cartoon she's only referred to by name, which was originally Dumbella but I headcanon that the stress of being a young mother made her forget her own name....really they probably just thought Della was snappier, but what do I know?

I guess you are reading the Don Rosa comics? I also start reading Disney comics again, but our European ones, mostly from Italy. So much stuff I missed.
Yeah, the whereabouts of Donald's twin sister Della is a mystery and i don't know how many articles and thesis in fanzines by donaldist society members exist that analyse and try to find a explanation. However in 2014 a official comic was published that explained that she is a test pilot on a space mission.
I'm not surprised. There are many official Disney characters in the comics Americans don't know.

HYES I am, SO awesome. Do they make trades of the Italian comics, or should I just go scanlation? And space mission, really? Huh...I was...honestly preferring something darker. EH-save that for their dad whose too lazy to even have a face.

And straight up, I only learned Fethry Duck existed just a while ago.

I'm sure you can find trades in Italy (and anywhere else in Europe) but in the States? I personally buy the "Lustiges Taschenbuch" a trade paperback that's published here in Germany since 1967. I recommand the stuff made by Giorgio Cavazzano.

If you like it a bit more tragic, in the comic I mentioned Donald's sister talks with her sons with the help of a invention by Gyro Gearloose but she didn't recognize them. She travels so fast, only a short time passed for her while for everybody on earth it's 10 years later. The boys didn't had the heart to tell her and lied about their identities.

Fethry Duck is only the beginning there are many more. Brigitta McBridge and John D. Rockerduck are also two regulars.

If you like it a bit more tragic, in the comic I mentioned Donald's sister talks with her sons with the help of a invention by Gyro Gearloose but she didn't recognize them. She travels so fast, only a short time passed for her while for everybody on earth it's 10 years later. The boys didn't had the heart to tell her and lied about their identities.
THERE-it is, knew they wouldn't just have her appear like that!

I'm sure you can find trades in Italy (and anywhere else in Europe) but in the States? I personally buy the "Lustiges Taschenbuch" a trade paperback that's published here in Germany since 1967. I recommand the stuff made by Giorgio Cavazzano.

Fethry Duck is only the beginning there are many more. Brigitta McBridge and John D. Rockerduck are also two regulars.
You know, I kind of hope John D. Rockerduck turns up in the new DuckTales cartoons. I confess I haven't read any of the comics with him, but I like the idea of an opponent to Scrooge that's this young duck born into wealth and with a "spend money to make money" attitude.

You know, I kind of hope John D. Rockerduck turns up in the new DuckTales cartoons. I confess I haven't read any of the comics with him, but I like the idea of an opponent to Scrooge that's this young duck born into wealth and with a "spend money to make money" attitude.
Angones might adapt him into the new series, although he MIGHT change his name to John D.Rockerfeather...which...is admittedly a MUCH better name.

SO-you know how I just read the life and times of Scrooge McDuck? I bought the trade at a comic book convention for nine dollars. After learning it was expensive online...I learned its an out of date print...ninety dollars at the cheapest...helloooooooooooooooo nest egg!

Between the climate and the bus fuck-ups, I'm going through way too much trouble getting my pull today. Should've waited for tomorrow, I'm not even gonna read them today, but I know tomorrow morning I'll wish I had some for the ride to work.

It was supposed to rain today and instead, the surface of Mercury! Truly this is Trump's America.

Well, it just rained.
And I had to run to the drugstore before they closed in 15min.
I got soaked and could barely see the entire time, even though I was in my car for the majority of the trip.

--Patrick

Well, it just rained.
And I had to run to the drugstore before they closed in 15min.
I got soaked and could barely see the entire time, even though I was in my car for the majority of the trip.

--Patrick
That was our rain! It was predicted for days and still promised thunderstorms this morning, and then nothing, not even a friggin cloud. You stole our water.

fade

Staff member
Probably had Oracle hack into the WayneTech wireless card in Weather Wizard's rod to disable it or turn it against him first.