Random Comic Book Crap

What stupid ass book are these man children bitching about stores not carrying?
Jawbreakers: Lost Souls, the crowdfunded book by that D&C alt-right asshole. Stores didn't want to carry it, so they were threatened. The publisher was made aware of that, so they dropped the book.

I'm not convinced this isn't a scam by D&C to pocket the funds while making more videos blaming the villainous conspiracy to keep him out of comics (hence, Comicsgate).

Him and his followers are confusing conspiracy with consequences for their actions.

Zappit

Staff member
So, the guy's an asshole. He directs harassment campaigns towards people for...not being white males, or not writing about white males? Then he decides to make his own comic, and gets a publisher. He then harasses stores that won't carry his straight-outta-90's-Image-storytelling book. And now the publishers no longer want to work with him. What a fucking surprise.

Christ, what is it with the alt-right? Do they understand that actions have consequences? I mean, people bitch about millennial entitlement, but God damn, these guys epitomize entitlement. Their entire "movement" is a fucking temper tantrum.

So, the guy's an asshole. He directs harassment campaigns towards people for...not being white males, or not writing about white males? Then he decides to make his own comic, and gets a publisher. He then harasses stores that won't carry his straight-outta-90's-Image-storytelling book. And now the publishers no longer want to work with him. What a fucking surprise.

Christ, what is it with the alt-right? Do they understand that actions have consequences? I mean, people bitch about millennial entitlement, but God damn, these guys epitomize entitlement. Their entire "movement" is a fucking temper tantrum.
That's about it! And thing is, they've gained ground, at least on Marvel. They've tucked aside some of the legacy characters, returned the founding Avengers to the forefront instead of their successors, and women employees such as editor Heather Antos have left the company. Yet they still bitch at Marvel for conspiring against them (while simultaneously starting a rumor that Marvel's editor in chief reprimanded Mark Waid for speaking with the Jawbreakers publisher--never happened), and even though Antos has left, they're still calling her new job to harass her.

I can't believe I didn't realize that was Diana was gonna be part of the new Dark team this whole time, glad she's starting to be a two-team hero! IN OTHER NEWS!

Dark Knights Metals has a soundtrack and I love the world.

I tried to do a video review for The Immortal Hulk #1 since I liked it so much and I'm seeing why people tend to either discuss floppies with others or just review trades. It's really hard to talk about a 20-page comic for more than a couple minutes, and that's if you give away everything that happens in it, like just run down the whole comic from start to finish. I could talk about some Hulk history to beef it out, but that's not really the point.

Maybe this isn't a good idea. I feel like when Julie and I are talking about comics we've read, I have so much to say, so this should be an easy fun side thing to do, but if I sit down to write something, my brain just goes "yeah, it was good. The end."

Blaaah, there's fiction I should be writing of my own.

That gets into scheduling and this is more like "hey, a few minutes, maybe this would be neat" than something I can carve out time for. Which only emphasizes that if I'm not willing to dedicate real time to it, it's not going to be good.

There go my dreams of convincing people to pick up issue 1 of Kelly Thompson's Nancy Drew miniseries from Dynamite Entertainment, available at your local comic book shop this coming Wednesday, June 13th, with art by Jen St-Onge, for $3.99. :awesome:

Stjepan Sejic's series with DC hasn't been announced yet but he says if it's successful, his next pitch will be a Clark Kent/Lois Lane romance book (no, not like Sunstone) and posted some concept stuff and ...
IMG_20180620_080404~2.jpg
IMG_20180620_080408~2.jpg

This is the cutest shit and EXACTLY what I'd want to read for a Superman book. I wish I knew what the hell his other project was so I could start supporting it and improve chances of this being made.

I'm curious how he's going to do all this without breaking his wrists. He has the secret project plus Justice League Odyssey, and then his indie work. Something may have to give.

I'm only picking up Justice League Odyssey for his art. If he's only on board for covers and the first arc, I'm out. Joshua Williamson just isn't a good enough writer to keep me for a book on his own.

But guys... now the poot guy can't just pick up a comic and assume the main character will look like him.... and why, just because, for almost a century that was true for minorities and women? That's, like,. totally disproportionate...

I will say - not "in his defense" or anything, I don't know the guy and I don't like what I've seen so far - that I don't think the "right" way to have diversity is to try and push every character in that direction. I personally don't mind black Spiderman, white Black Panther, female Thor, latino Iron Man, or whatever (I know a few of those are real and I made up the rest but honestly, it's perfectly possible they're all real), if they're well-handled. In many cases, they won't be. In other cases, you're still left with a "variation" of the Original Type, which is fun and all, but not the same. While some characters and names are "easily" changed naturally (there's been how many Robins? There've probably been female and black and whatever ones, right?), others are more closely linked to one individual (If Superman was invented today he might be black, but Kal-El isn't passing down his cape to a new guy to come along, so a black version would have to be another Kryptonian, I guess?). Anyway, I digress - a good writer can probably justify changing whatever character to whatever minority or diversity group. But you're left with a "variation" character, which isn't the same as a charcter who's "originally" whatever group you want. Catwoman or Harley Quinn are proper female characters (and re-inventing their looks to be less D-cup-in-spandex is a good thing except for my inner bhamv). Some characters can evolve into their own thing - She-Hulk isn't just "Hulk but female". Sometimes it doesn't work, or doesn't make sense, and it's just corporations trying to keep up with Progress and it's awful, and it should still be possible and proper to critique those without being called a sexist racist jerk. Which doesn't mean you can't also have racist sexist jerks defending that position.

figmentPez

Staff member
(If Superman was invented today he might be black, but Kal-El isn't passing down his cape to a new guy to come along, so a black version would have to be another Kryptonian, I guess?).
reignsuperman01.gif

Also, Batman had his back broken and was replaced by Jean Paul Valley. Barry Allen died and was replaced by Wally West as the Flash. Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Thor was replaced by Eric Masterson (who later became Thunderstrike) long before there was a female Thor. The name of Captain America has been held by 11 characters besides Steve Rogers in Marvel history. Fifteen characters besides the original members have been part of the Fantastic Four (and that's not counting the New Fantastic Four, or the Fantastic Five). At least three different male characters have taken over for Tony Stark as Iron Man.

The idea of a new person taking over a superhero identity is not new. It's been done over and over again in comics. Complaining that it's a new thing being done for the sake of diversity is just flat out wrong.

Complaining that it's a new thing being done for the sake of diversity is just flat out wrong.
...except when it is.
I mean, if you want to switch up the characters, go nuts. Give Caliban the Captain Universe power. Change Green Lantern’s vulnerability to be mechanically separated chicken instead of wood/yellow. Have Black Canary and Green Arrow come out as Bi (nobody would bat an eyelash!). But don’t pass the mantle or rebrand the character JUST because some exec says, “We need more appeal among 18-22yr olds who play Fortnight, so let’s give Frank Castle a pair of angel wings and a purple shotgun.”

No. Make it matter. Changing “The Invisible GIrl” into “The Invisible Woman” mattered, it wasn’t a crappy stunt aimed at bringing in more feminist readers.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
...except when it is.
Just because it can be something done for diversity doesn't mean it's a new thing. Editorial mandates are not a new thing either. Nor is changing a comic to appeal to a new demographic. Robin was, arguably, added to Batman comics in order to appeal to a younger demographic; a lot of sidekick characters were.

EDIT: Also, we should not forget that Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, and Samurai were added to Challenge of the Superfriends back in 1978 to make the cast more diverse. Trying to make comics more diverse is not a new thing. None of this is new!

...except when it is.
I mean, if you want to switch up the characters, go nuts. Give Caliban the Captain Universe power. Change Green Lantern’s vulnerability to be mechanically separated chicken instead of wood/yellow. Have Black Canary and Green Arrow come out as Bi (nobody would bat an eyelash!). But don’t pass the mantle or rebrand the character JUST because some exec says, “We need more appeal among 18-22yr olds who play Fortnight, so let’s give Frank Castle a pair of angel wings and a purple shotgun.”

No. Make it matter. Changing “The Invisible GIrl” into “The Invisible Woman” mattered, it wasn’t a crappy stunt aimed at bringing in more feminist readers.

—Patrick
Can you give a couple real examples of late where the comics went too far? Because like the guy in the Nazi hat in the video, you're giving a bunch of hyperbole but nothing that's actually happened.

Can you give a couple real examples of late where the comics went too far? Because like the guy in the Nazi hat in the video, you're giving a bunch of hyperbole but nothing that's actually happened.
Having none of your movie characters available when their respective movies are coming out, and the potential ability to gain new readers is at its highest.

I can’t because I’ve been out of comics for so long, so no specific examples of late (New 52, mebbe?), but when so many characters change so quickly, it starts to smell more and more like when that new boss comes in and just HAS to change everything. Not because it’ll be better, just so that it’ll be new. And fresh.

—Patrick