[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Even though my Dad recently passed at 90, I was lucky that he was still fully functional. Still driving, getting groceries and going to church daily on his own. Mom is 80, and Dad was doing these things to care for her. I hope she goes to live with my brother when she can't do these for herself.

Compare-and-contrasting with my post in the Goblins comic thread, I do actually remember quite a bit from this comic. And yes, there was a whole redemption story arc where Brent and Panda bonded. So...The heck?

Arrrrgh. With that, the Panda storyline is over. Was there even a story line?

It might just be me (it's not) but I just get the impression no storylines ever get developed and followed through on anymore. I certainly don't mind a one-off or a short story line with 3 strips or something. But these days it seems like there's two or three comics of set-up, then...The next story begins.

Looking back, there's the "Scratch is missing" story...7 strips, but no actual story took place. "Skull farts" - three comics, and went nowhere. "Jade plays WOW Classic" - three comics of set-up, nothing happens. The Panda story - 6 strips, but it reads like the start of an adventure and ends!

Not every comic has to have a large overarching story. That's fine. Some of the one-offs are the best strips PVP has to offer! But the stories that do get made are all short and over before they've begun, and it annoys me.

Arrrrgh. With that, the Panda storyline is over. Was there even a story line?

It might just be me (it's not) but I just get the impression no storylines ever get developed and followed through on anymore. I certainly don't mind a one-off or a short story line with 3 strips or something. But these days it seems like there's two or three comics of set-up, then...The next story begins.

Looking back, there's the "Scratch is missing" story...7 strips, but no actual story took place. "Skull farts" - three comics, and went nowhere. "Jade plays WOW Classic" - three comics of set-up, nothing happens. The Panda story - 6 strips, but it reads like the start of an adventure and ends!

Not every comic has to have a large overarching story. That's fine. Some of the one-offs are the best strips PVP has to offer! But the stories that do get made are all short and over before they've begun, and it annoys me.
I’m just surprised that you are still with it. Honestly, I gave up a few years back after his “promise to do better” #482, that he failed on within a couple of weeks.

It's gone full Sunday print comic. I think he might run one soon that just says "Phone bad, I hate my wife"

I can't even remember the last time I followed PvP. I'll check this thread and maybe look up the current strip everyone's discussing, but that's it.

I gave up on the comic when he nuked the forums and flipped the bird to his fans.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I'd have been willing to cut some slack if it at least acknowledged that it's late to the party. I don't know what is going on in Kurtz's life, and maybe he's got some solid inspiration for how the PvP cast are going to react to the movie, but at least tack on a "3 weeks ago..." to set the stage.

I'd have been willing to cut some slack if it at least acknowledged that it's late to the party. I don't know what is going on in Kurtz's life, and maybe he's got some solid inspiration for how the PvP cast are going to react to the movie, but at least tack on a "3 weeks ago..." to set the stage.
He was his father's primary caregiver for a good while this year, which is why a lot of his work had been very, very late. He's finally got his father in a group home though. So that might have something to do with it.

Phew, a whole week to make the joke "we're getting old", once again.
Look, I know a writer has to write from experience and from his own life and that Scott's in a place where he's getting older and all that...But he's made that joke 10 times in the past year.

GasBandit

Staff member
Interesting that today's Penny Arcade was also about Twitter.

1582609223886.png

I thought his description particularly pithy (bolded below)

Tycho said:
There are so many ways to "be online." At one point, you might have dialed into a major service or dialed into a service provider. This would have been about the same time I was hauling Token Ring cables out of office buildings the way you'd pull out the roots and vines of an invasive species.

The Internet then was like an island chain, discrete heaps of data you traveled to. It was an idea as much as it was a technology, and the idea was informed by the implications of its topology. It was all just kinda out there. The way it works now is that "the Internet" is primarily the mechanism we use to gain access to a series of gated communities, any one of which might as well be "the internet" for the purposes of that user. YouTube and Reddit are the Internet for my son; Ronia's Internet is essentially YouTube and Facetime, and Brenna's Internet is Twitter. Twitter - so we're all clear - is a place where people hate each other while scrolling past utterly wasted ad buys.

I follow sixty-three people on there. That's it, that's the whole service. And I just went in and got rid of a bunch of those after I typed the previous sentence, so now there's thirty-six. I'm quick with the mute; there's something about the messages arriving on a device i'm physically holding that makes me even less accommodating than I normally am. It feels like someone shitting into your cupped hands, and I'm not obligated to provide this service for people. Like... for free.

I understand that Twitter is a kind of FOMO pump, but it really has a single use for me, which is to be available on some axis for people who want access to me. I make no special effort to build an audience there, and I am thoroughly myself, which profoundly limits my appeal. But it can be used safely, so long as you take the necessary precautions.