[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

New Mappy.

Okay, this one actually got a few laughs from me. They actually used the Time Crisis cops pretty well and portrayed them as the vapid stereotypes they are.

He's trying to be an "arteest" instead of just doing his job correctly. He really just needs to hand PvP over to someone who cares about it and rake in the money when the quality and fans come back.

It allows him to highlight an action that's going on without letting the various character details distract from it. It's a way to emphasize an action, you stupid fuckheads.

North_Ranger

Staff member
There is not enough high-lighting in the world to make that last panel any less groan-worthy. It's an old joke stolen from better comedians which doesn't even work properly in the context.

It allows him to highlight an action that's going on without letting the various character details distract from it. It's a way to emphasize an action, you stupid fuckheads.
The problem is with a cartoon as simple as PvP, it distracts more than it helps. There is really no need for it other than he wants to try something new. But really, it's a cop out. A lot like voice overs in movies. Done right they're ok, but usually they are just used as a crutch, so they hurt more than help. Which is what is happening here.

I have to say - silhouettes can be a good and useful tool. They've been completely overused in PvP lately, and as such, they're now less effective than ever before. Using one in every other comic comes off as lazy. Using one for standing up to mom, another for the birth, whatever, I could live with, and they might have a place occasionally. Not 3 or 4 times a week.

Hmm did you notice that in the last two Trenches the (c) copyright notice disappeared from the strip, and the last one changed visual styles? I wonder if it means anything.

Hmm did you notice that in the last two Trenches the (c) copyright notice disappeared from the strip, and the last one changed visual styles? I wonder if it means anything.
Could it mean everyone has found something better to work on? Ye gods, that latest one is awful.

Was it just me or did today's feel product placementy? I dunno. I guess maybe he was just trying to explain what the show was in case people don't know what it is, but if you have to explain in that much detail, I don't think its worth the reference.

I guess maybe he was just trying to explain what the show was in case people don't know what it is, but if you have to explain in that much detail, I don't think its worth the reference.
For me, it's kind of funny to hear someone talk in the heat of the moment as if they're reading a description of the show from TV guide. And if it's lost on people, no more so than any hundreds of video game, TV and movie references in the past.

I guess maybe he was just trying to explain what the show was in case people don't know what it is, but if you have to explain in that much detail, I don't think its worth the reference.
I had no idea beyond the plot. It would have worked just as well if "Suits" had been replaced with "[currently airing TV show featuring lawyers]."

--Patrick