[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Kurtz is going to respond "Ha ha, that's funny guys. Great joke."

Then a year from now, when his relationship with them falls through because he can't stick to a god damn project, he's going to call them assholes for the joke.

Then a year later, when they've made up, he's going to have another bullshit excuse.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I understood it, but I didn't laugh. ADD. Attention Deficit disorder. It's basically stealing a joke from 5 years ago on the internet.

"So the doctor tells me I have attention deficiOH LOOK A DOG hey let's go ride bikes!"

IE, Skull's ADD prevents him from actually finishing the joke, or even remember he was telling one.

Well sure, it's a tired old joke, but it's certainly not the worst strip we've seen. I'm actually inclined to give him a pass on this one - not that he needs my permission to do a bad comic, but whatever.

Shamelessly plugged from the funny pictures thread:

The actual joke in the comic wasn't too bad, but the execution was very Kurtzy.

Dave

Staff member
Scott must have forgotten that Skull went to the vet a long time ago. Brent met that chick with the big boobs from that other comic. You remember the one.

If only Scott had a loyal fanbase who could help spot such continuity errors, perhaps on an official PvP forum or something like that.

Ah well, I suppose time spent maintaining continuity is time not spent making tastes.

Scott must have forgotten that Skull went to the vet a long time ago. Brent met that chick with the big boobs from that other comic. You remember the one.
Yeah, it was a crossover with some comic Frank "I draw big tits" Cho was doing at the time about a little veterinary hospital.

I laughed, and now I come here and find out I shouldn't have.

Unrelated, Monday's Penny Arcade: on one hand, the tastemaker thing is funny. On the other hand, anyone else find it scary the whole "if anything happened to your arm, 14 people would lose their jobs"? They need to keep Mike under lock and key.

You can get insurance for very specifics purposes such as this. Professional ballet dance productions carry insurance for significant leg injuries for their dancers. Enough to tide the production over until recovery or replacement can be completed.

It would surprise me if Khoo didn't have insurance or contingency plans in place for such occurrences for both gabe and Tycho.
I think Gabe is the only irreplacable one there actually. Beyond the fact that it'd be pretty hard for Tycho to get so severely injured that he couldn't write snark, I don't think his writing style is particularly hard to emulate. On second thought, I'm not entirely sure PA would lose much steam with an artist change at this point either. The website is basically an entity unto itself that would be getting massive traffic regardless of changes to the comic. PA above all else, is a success story on the business/public relations end. It's a website that got very lucky with early traffic due to little competition (much like initial PvP), and actually embraced what made them popular. They listened to their fans, gave them what they wanted, and ended up as a mega entity that does a lot of really awesome things.

By contrast, PvP (WHICH HAD SIMILAR LEVELS OF EARLY SUCCESS), routinely took a dump on its fanbase, and then proceeded to change the entire direction of the comic because of, "Fuck you, I created it" syndrome. Ugh.

A lot of credit for PA's success has to go to Khoo though. While it's true what he's already built probably means PA could survive a while without him, I think if something really did happen to Khoo to remove his savviness from the equation, the PA guys would fall into future pitfalls much more easily.

A lot of credit for PA's success has to go to Khoo though. While it's true what he's already built probably means PA could survive a while without him, I think if something really did happen to Khoo to remove his savviness from the equation, the PA guys would fall into future pitfalls much more easily.
ESPECIALLY with Kurtz around.

ESPECIALLY with Kurtz around.
Probably only a matter of time until that relationship goes severely south. I mean, facts are that only Kurtz is substantially benefiting from being involved with them - the PA guys aren't getting anything besides being friends. However, the first major fight between them where Kurtz decides to stand on his pedestal and claim they'd be screwed without him (lol?) will undoubtedly be the turning point. Kurtz is a very, very small fish compared to the PA guys at this point, and it's really only a matter of time until there's a catastrophic fight stemming from Kurtz trying to assert equality with them.

Kurtz is aware he's a small fish compared to PA. He's made self-deprecating jokes about it for years. I don't think he's remotely likely to have a hissy fit.

I'd totally go bowling with Kurtz. And I enjoy the podcasts they do (especially if Straub is involved) because he's a genuinely funny guy. I just really hope he one day goes professional.

figmentPez

Staff member
As much fun as we have with Kurtz's online missteps, a lot of people who have met him personally say he's a much nicer person in person than he portrays online.
This seems to be true of a significant portion of people online, both celebrities and non-celebrities. Some people just need to be able to see that someone is a real person to not treat them like a jerk, and some people just can't make the connection that people online are real people; it just doesn't click in their brain.

All I know is that if I'm ever at a Con where Kurtz is a guest, I'm going to give him a brand new digital clock.

But the comic for the 6th did not post until the 7th.

What is sad is Kurtz just came off nearly a year of being on time, at least posted on the same day before lunch...