[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Apparently he's super excited and happy to work on TT, but a regular update on PVP can go fuck itself.
PVP has been a Tuesday-Thursday comic for awhile now.

Of course, it's never been stated as such, but the update schedule would say otherwise.

So really, this is more like taking a friday off for a long weekend, instead of just skipping thursday.

My newish problem with Lucille.
I'm fine with the no-nonsense businessman/woman who secretly has deeper depths. Its clear thats what she's meant to be. But it feels like everything she does is just a "oh, she has depth" storyline. Like, thats her character. But without the serious businesswoman, she doesn't really have much going on other than a straight woman.

In the comics defense though, I think this was a time where the silhouette was actually a good artistic choice rather than just done to be lazy.

One thing that I hate about Lucille is that she has more lines than Jade. Jade used to be the voice of reason on the strip and now Lucille has basically robbed her of her role.

Yaaaay

So now we can either look forward to another shitty Lucille birthday story in 2 months.

OR

It's skipped over, making the choice of April 27th OR TO MENTION IT AT ALL extremely pointless.

So...is Lucille based on Kurtz' mom? I feel weird now.
I hope/think not.
If my memory serves me the right info, Scott's mother died and he has very fond memories of her. I guess it's just a sprinkle of sentimentality into his comic.

Like Jade's wedding dress was a replica of the one his wife wore on their real wedding (I still can't believe how non-geeky the comic wedding was...)

So having not read PVP for a looong while now, and going back and looking at it I can honestly saw I have not missed a thing it is still as boring as if one was to watch old soap opera reruns from the 70s.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think the biggest problem with this story-line is that we've been told that Lucille is lonely, but we haven't been shown it. We've seen Lucille being smart, being powerful, and we've seen a little of her being vulnerable, but we haven't seen her being lonely. Not that I can think of, and definitely not within this story-line. Oh, she's got troubles, and we've been shown that she pays special attention to Francis because she wants a legacy, but I don't think that equals showing that she's lonely.

I think the biggest problem with this story-line is that we've been told that Lucille is lonely, but we haven't been shown it. We've seen Lucille being smart, being powerful, and we've seen a little of her being vulnerable, but we haven't seen her being lonely. Not that I can think of, and definitely not within this story-line. Oh, she's got troubles, and we've been shown that she pays special attention to Francis because she wants a legacy, but I don't think that equals showing that she's lonely.
I think the best way to show Lucille as being lonely would be to do this.

- Do a week's worth of strips for Lucille.
- The focus of it is Lucille doing a three martini lunch alone in her office. There is no dialog. Just Lucille drinking martinis, then looking a bit jaded.
- It will be the same strip Monday-Thursday, except for one detail: the calender on her desk changes to reflect the actual day of the week.
- The Friday strip will have Francis or Max walk in, ask her to lunch. She accepts and cracks the smallest of smiles when he's not looking. Maybe make it a silhouette with small white grin because apparently Scott has a hard on for those.

Boom. Now I'm a fuckin' Tastemaker!

- The focus of it is Lucille doing a three martini lunch alone in her office. There is no dialog. Just Lucille drinking martinis, then looking a bit jaded.
- It will be the same strip Monday-Thursday, except for one detail: the calender on her desk changes to reflect the actual day of the week.
- The Friday strip will have Francis or Max walk in, ask her to lunch. She accepts and cracks the smallest of smiles when he's not looking. Maybe make it a silhouette with small white grin because apparently Scott has a hard on for those.

Except the strips would still be late and probably a day behind.

It's a copy/paste paradise.

figmentPez

Staff member
reading Woody Hearn's comic
GU Comics is set to end this year. Which I'm ambivalent about. On one hand, it still has some real gaming based humor. On the other, sometimes it's just the same old gag recycled. I could live with the occasional "bug zapper" comic if there were some sort of commentary about the death of a company/game in the news post, but there isn't. Just a "this happened" type thing. So, some strips I love, but there are also strips where I feel like it was a "you had to be there" moment, or I'm just yawning because it's a reused concept.

GU Comics is set to end this year. Which I'm ambivalent about. On one hand, it still has some real gaming based humor. On the other, sometimes it's just the same old gag recycled. I could live with the occasional "bug zapper" comic if there were some sort of commentary about the death of a company/game in the news post, but there isn't. Just a "this happened" type thing. So, some strips I love, but there are also strips where I feel like it was a "you had to be there" moment, or I'm just yawning because it's a reused concept.
Wow. I stopped reading it a long time ago, maybe a year after EQ2 came out as he'd pretty much moved on to bad WoW humor by then.

Hell, I remember Kurtz' EQ comic, too. I was pissed when he stopped it to focus on PvP.