Prop 8 overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I didn't say he was suddenly for it! When I finally said "So... why are you against it then?" and he responded "I just do!" We had a laugh at that and then talked about other stuff. Sometimes all you can do is talk about it and hope it sinks in over time.
I did the same with my Mom and her dislike of the Roma. In Finland, they have something of a reputation as scoundrels, conmen and thieves.[/QUOTE]

You mean gypsies aren't thieving conmen? What a gyp.[/QUOTE]

Who doesn't like getting a free dog with your caravan, after all?

C

Chibibar

My friends are in this video, starting around the 3:15 mark.

Video Library - cbs5.com
The main problem I believe is that even in one state totally allow same sex marriage, many state oppose it, but then we get into Federal laws where one license issue in one state is legal in another right? (there a limits)

some license are
Marriage - at this time they are limit to hetro couples
Driving - valid in all states until expired.

Some that are not valid in all states
Real estate - varies from state to state and thus need to be tested and issue. My mom is a broker in Texas, but she can't be a broker in California for example until she gets a license there. (that is what she told me)
hunting/fishing? (I don't know about this one)
Liquor license? (specific location)

these are some that pop in my head, I'm sure the forum can give more/better example.

C

Chibibar

Appeal filed over gay marriage ruling in Calif. - Yahoo! News

I love this. So the original driving force was "it is bad for children" - proven false. and kids could get "the gays" in schools??? that was the defense?? seriously?

I hope prop 8 goes down in flames or reach the U.S. Supreme Court. The country has too many other issues to worry about and should put away petty fears of same sex couple having the same rights as hetro couples.

J

Jonzac

Yeah, gotta love the "The majority has spoken, so it must be right" argument. You know, at one point in America the majority thought that owning a black person like property was okay. Doesn't mean it was right.
Playing devil's advocate here, just remember you quote when the Supreme Court overturns Roe vs. Wade...which the majority of people support, but may be struck down by the courts. That "The majority isn't always right" thing can (and eventually will) cut both ways.

Yeah, gotta love the "The majority has spoken, so it must be right" argument. You know, at one point in America the majority thought that owning a black person like property was okay. Doesn't mean it was right.
Playing devil's advocate here, just remember you quote when the Supreme Court overturns Roe vs. Wade...which the majority of people support, but may be struck down by the courts. That "The majority isn't always right" thing can (and eventually will) cut both ways.[/QUOTE]
Much less cut and dried issue, but sure, tell yourself it's the same.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Jonzac the majority is only wrong when they don't agree with me. Duh.
I just had flashbacks to the Iraq war.

lol, for the record, I don't think the majority is "right" in this case, but I do think an awful lot of people use that double standard whenever it's convenient.

D'ya like dags?

He's supposed to be a Traveler not a Roma. Similar reputations but very different.

Sorry Pikey could be either. But they act like Irish instead of Romanian.[/QUOTE]

Romanian =/= Roma, mate ;)[/QUOTE]

That I know, I posted that because Romania is the Roma's jumping off point into the rest of Europe. Their culture and ethnicity has been heavily shaped by the Balkans.

C

Chibibar

Interview with Ted Olson, awesome stuff.
I love it. It looks like California's law might get overturn permanently. I guess FOX is trying to play Devil's advocate? or does Chris really really believe in the question he is asking? (I didn't like the tone personally)

Ted does bring up an important point. The U.S. Constitution protect our rights. There are times where the popular vote shouldn't apply when the people are trying to restrict certain rights.

I also agree that same sex marriage, different sex, and even interracial marriage are on the same level. Some people just can't see it that way.

Dave

Staff member
Ted Olson pwned the fuck out of Fox. What people haven't said yet is the judge that overturned Prop 8 is not only openly gay - which has been touted by Fox - but they are NOT telling people he was appointed by the Lord High Conservative Ronald Reagan and raised to the appellate court by W. This is a CONSERVATIVE JUDGE! Game. Set. Match.

Ted Olson pwned the fuck out of Fox. What people haven't said yet is the judge that overturned Prop 8 is not only openly gay - which has been touted by Fox - but they are NOT telling people he was appointed by the Lord High Conservative Ronald Reagan and raised to the appellate court by W. This is a CONSERVATIVE JUDGE! Game. Set. Match.
Of course not. It doesn't fit into the narrative they are trying to push of the Liberal Activist Judge tm.

C

Chibibar

I heard about that, but I don't believe that being gay shouldn't matter on the courts (my opinion) because my co worker ask me this question.

Can men rule on abortion case? since they can't produce children.
Can single women/men judge deal with divorce cases?
can non-parent judge deal with children cases?

I feel if the judge can prove that he/she is being impartial, then, let them do their job.

C

crono1224

I heard about that, but I don't believe that being gay shouldn't matter on the courts (my opinion) because my co worker ask me this question.

I feel if the judge can prove that he/she is being impartial, then, let them do their job.[/QUOTE]

None of those are good analogies. None of those would have them rule a certain way that would benefit them.

C

Chibibar

I feel if the judge can prove that he/she is being impartial, then, let them do their job.[/QUOTE]

None of those are good analogies. None of those would have them rule a certain way that would benefit them.[/QUOTE]

ok... how about can a married judge a case that could set precedent for future marriage/divorce case?
Can a judge who had an abortion can rule on future abortion case?

Is that better?

Of even further, what if the judge knew someone (related) who had an abortion only because the law allow at the time. Would that judge rule differently? or may use personal experience on it?

I know it is nearly impossible to be truly impartial o the case. Someone would know someone and somebody would benefit from the ruling one form or another.

Now of course there are some cases where if the judge is directly related to the person or involve with someone ON that particular case, then the case suppose to pass on to another judge.

C

crono1224

None of those are good analogies. None of those would have them rule a certain way that would benefit them.[/QUOTE]

ok... how about can a married judge a case that could set precedent for future marriage/divorce case?
Can a judge who had an abortion can rule on future abortion case?

Is that better?

Of even further, what if the judge knew someone (related) who had an abortion only because the law allow at the time. Would that judge rule differently? or may use personal experience on it?

I know it is nearly impossible to be truly impartial o the case. Someone would know someone and somebody would benefit from the ruling one form or another.

Now of course there are some cases where if the judge is directly related to the person or involve with someone ON that particular case, then the case suppose to pass on to another judge.[/QUOTE]

I would say a better one still is, can a judge who wants to get an abortion (if they are female, if they are male their SO or whoever) rule on a case that makes it legal to get abortions, if at the time it was illegal.

Dave

Staff member
You are assuming that the judge wants to get married.

It's more like:

An African American judge ruling on inter-racial marriages.

But what the hell does that matter? Heterosexual, white judges make decisions all the time. Why does nobody question their impartiality?

But what the hell does that matter? Heterosexual, white judges make decisions all the time. Why does nobody question their impartiality?
Because heterosexual white males are the target of the message. Be afraid of everyone not like you.

C

Chibibar

You are assuming that the judge wants to get married.

It's more like:

An African American judge ruling on inter-racial marriages.

Yea... What about them white judges ;)

(actually that one is better than my examples)

Shannow

Staff member
Nooooooo! The sanctity of marriage..it has been impugned!!! This is the first step. Socieiety will soon fall! Total chaos will soon rule....and it will be fabulous!

News is reporting that the American Family Association (aka Psychotic Right-Wing Bigots) are pushing to have the judge impeached because he's gay, and according to their logic is unfit to oversee any case that involves gay issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.