Pet Peeve rants.

fade

Staff member
Do you have a desk out on the interstate? Just like, in the breakdown lane? "Thank you for visiting Oregon. Just a moment."

And yet the most obsessed with diversity.
But only the concept of diversity.

Do you have a desk out on the interstate? Just like, in the breakdown lane? "Thank you for visiting Oregon. Just a moment."
No, you don't get a breakdown lane, just the fast lane just after you cross the I-5 bridge from Washington into Oregon. Luckily, the speed limit is only 50, and most of the drivers there have a hard time managing half that.

When did the standard spacing between lines for all document types become double spaced? I don't want it in my word documents, and I sure as hell don't want it in my HTML/CSS/Jscript docs!

Why not? Make them think you've done extra coding.

--Patrick
Nah, unless I'm desperately in need of a consult, I'm the only who's going to see these files. It's ok though, apparently I erroneously assumed that a tool called "HTML Editor" would allow me to just edit the HTML, but it was a WYSIWIG editor, it wasn't double spacing my code, I wasn't looking at the source yet.

The default on Word docs is really annoying though.

GasBandit

Staff member
What really bakes my noodle is it seems to have happened during the same transition that did away with double-spacing after ending a sentence. I still hit spacebar twice out of habit, all the time, but nobody does that anymore, and often enough whatever text editor I'm using will treat it like a "common mistake" and "fix" it without asking! So, all pages are double spaced, but sentences no longer are? WHY

Edit: example, I hit space twice after typing "ending a sentence." Gone. But when I edit the post, it's back again!

Edit: example, I hit space twice after typing "ending a sentence." Gone. But when I edit the post, it's back again!
white-space defaults to normal, which "directs user agents to collapse sequences of white space". The forum's style for posts does not override that anywhere I can see, so your posts get displayed with condensed spaces. You can confirm this is happening by inspecting the content of your post with your browser's dev tools, and you will see your message's text contains the extra spaces.

What really bakes my noodle is it seems to have happened during the same transition that did away with double-spacing after ending a sentence. I still hit spacebar twice out of habit, all the time, but nobody does that anymore, and often enough whatever text editor I'm using will treat it like a "common mistake" and "fix" it without asking! So, all pages are double spaced, but sentences no longer are? WHY

My English teacher who I had for three years in high school ingrained that into to us so much that I can NOT not do that.

fade

Staff member
Not to mention most mobile keyboards assume people put two spaces after a sentence, and take advantage of that to insert a period.

Isn't the double-space-after-a-period a leftover from the limitations of typewriters? Get with the times you dinosaurs :p

"Hey, how do I buy your stuff?"

"Why, from the link I provided-TWICE!"

"Okay, I'll simply like your comment and/or reblog it and never buy anything from you!"

Pandora. Seriously, what the hell? How many fucking times do you think I need to see the pop-up telling me that you're going to play more songs like this one because I clicked on thumbs-up?! It's 20-fucking-17! If you don't get the concept of Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down on a website after the 10th pop-up, you never will! I've "Thumbed" (their term, not mine) up 59 songs on this station alone. That whole "pot use lowers your IQ" thing has been proven to be bullshit, I'm not a moron.

GasBandit

Staff member
Pandora. Seriously, what the hell? How many fucking times do you think I need to see the pop-up telling me that you're going to play more songs like this one because I clicked on thumbs-up?! It's 20-fucking-17! If you don't get the concept of Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down on a website after the 10th pop-up, you never will! I've "Thumbed" (their term, not mine) up 59 songs on this station alone. That whole "pot use lowers your IQ" thing has been proven to be bullshit, I'm not a moron.
Maybe that's part of why they're circling the drain, per my link in the random crap thread.

Could be, but I honestly can't remember any of the stats on how many people will stop visiting a site due to minor annoyances like this. I mean, I'm not going to stop listening - even with the ads - because their selection and station building system is better than Prime and Google Play, for now at least.

In a cube farm with a person watching a damn JOVE video with out headphones on. It's work so I can't tell them to turn it down, but it's so damn loud and annoying. I am tempted to throw my earbuds at them.

figmentPez

Staff member
You know what pisses me off? People who are good at making thin, French-style pancakes. I get that they're hard, and it takes a lot of skill to get them to turn out consistently. Sure, they're delicious, but shut up about it already. We get it, you crepe.

You know what pisses me off? People who are good at making thin, French-style pancakes. I get that they're hard, and it takes a lot of skill to get them to turn out consistently. Sure, they're delicious, but shut up about it already. We get it, you crepe.
The best advice I've heard about making crepes is, "The first one goes to the dog." -Julia Child

Because the first one of the day never comes out right.