Pet Peeve rants.

GasBandit

Staff member
When people who are not native Spanish speakers say Spanish loan words in a heavy accent.
It goes the other way, too... my friend's hispanic wife is driven up the wall by our Spanish radio station's PD's tendency to say english words in an american accent in the middle of a spanish sentence. She says it's like linguistic whiplash.

Reactions: Cog
It goes the other way, too... my friend's hispanic wife is driven up the wall by our Spanish radio station's PD's tendency to say english words in an american accent in the middle of a spanish sentence. She says it's like linguistic whiplash.
Send her a recording where all the English words are spoken with a Mexican accent, and all the Spanish words are spoken with a Southern accent.
"me air-MAN-no"

--Patrick

As I said elsewhere, I've been spending more time on-line recently, and I swear, if I see one more colleague of mine post about how it's "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays" and about how anything other than "Merry Christmas" is offensive in some way, I am going to punch something. We don't live in a theocracy you ignorant hate-mongering troglodytes, shut the hell up.

Ug.

As I said elsewhere, I've been spending more time on-line recently, and I swear, if I see one more colleague of mine post about how it's "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays" and about how anything other than "Merry Christmas" is offensive in some way, I am going to punch something. We don't live in a theocracy you ignorant hate-mongering troglodytes, shut the hell up.

Ug.
As my wife is so fond of saying, "The loss of privilege can often seem like oppression."

--Patrick

When the ad ends RIGHT at the same time when the skip opportunity is available. Its like, why even BOTHER making me think I have a choice in this matter?

Well, I dunno. I use an ad blocker on my home pc, but can't at work... And is there a decent, reliable, free ad blocker on android?

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I dunno. I use an ad blocker on my home pc, but can't at work... And is there a decent, reliable, free ad blocker on android?
Adblock plus makes their own browser for android.

As for your work, why are you watching ad-supported videos at work, mister?! :p

BananaHands

Staff member
Bed bugs.

They've ruined the two months of my life. No matter what I did, one or two would pop up every so often.

Moved to a new place on Saturday. Threw out all my furniture and mattress. Double bagged all my clothes and whatnot and washed them profusely. Steam cleaned all my luggage. Just to be safe, kept the luggage on the balcony and brought it inside to soak in scalding hot water. Girlfriend found a dead bed bug floating in the tub while I'm at work. Now I'm concerned that in the days since saturday more bed bugs got inside the new apartment.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still hate the band Pentatonix more than bed bugs though.
That's a curious thing... I mean, I've heard of people who like them, and people who didn't care for them, and people like myself who thought they were kinda neat for one or two songs then got tired of them and moved on... but you're the first person I've heard say they have an actual strident dislike for Pentatonix. What do you hate so much about them?

I still hate the band Pentatonix more than bed bugs though.
Oh my goodness. It's such a relief to know I'm not alone.[DOUBLEPOST=1481221551,1481221494][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a curious thing... I mean, I've heard of people who like them, and people who didn't care for them, and people like myself who thought they were kinda neat for one or two songs then got tired of them and moved on... but you're the first person I've heard say they have an actual strident dislike for Pentatonix. What do you hate so much about them?
Can something be aggressively anodyne?

Yeah, I'd like to know if it's just those 5 people, specifically, or is it a cappella music in general that grates, or what.
Personally I think they've given a cappella music a much-needed shot in the arm.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh my goodness. It's such a relief to know I'm not alone.[DOUBLEPOST=1481221551,1481221494][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can something be aggressively anodyne?
I've never heard it phrased that way, but yes, I believe so. It's the common gripe about the soundtrack of marvel movies.

BananaHands

Staff member
They do that annoying thing where they basically groan while singing, which almost comes off as that grunt you make while pooping.

fade

Staff member
Not a fan of Counting Crows then, huh? That man sings like he's got the runs and needs to praise Jesus at the same time.

BananaHands

Staff member
Not a fan of Counting Crows then, huh? That man sings like he's got the runs and needs to praise Jesus at the same time.
Eh. At least he doesn't make intense poop faces while singing like these knuckleheads.

And this was not hard to find. Literally just clicked randomly in two videos.

Overly exacting application standards. For example, I'm currently attempting to apply for a part-time, temporary position as a receptionist (for the state of Oregon). In order to apply for this part-time, temporary position, I need to provide them with such detailed info as:

1. Strong communication skills are essential in this position. Describe your training, experience or approach in a) communicating with diverse members of the public about a program, product or service b) communicating and contributing to a team oriented environment. Be specific.
  2. Describe how you used your experience communicating and collaborating within a team environment. Include the organizations where you gained your experience and what you learned about teamwork.
  3. This position requires the ability to organize work efficiently and manage multiple tasks with interruptions. Using examples from your work history (listed on your application), describe your experience organizing your work efficiently and managing tasks while experiencing constant interruptions.
  4. An important skill in this position is the simple task of scanning and copying documents. Describe what a well-scanned or well-copied document looks like.
And then, further down the form, they ask "What types of filing systems are you experienced in using and maintaining? Choose all that apply." Unfortunately, they've used radio buttons instead of checkboxes, so you can't choose all that apply.

And last, but not least: "We serve a diverse community. Describe your experience working with individuals of a diverse population."

Now, I love diversity. But isn't that question kind of just a re-restatement of the first two questions?! I should answer the second question with "I've learned that when you allow too many people on a team to have direct input in how forms like this are created, you get a big pile of garbage."