Pet Peeve rants.

There is a construction zone where they tore out half the road right near an incredibly annoying intersection. The amount of dumb fucks that pull through said intersection when they have no where to go and block the cross streets when the lights change makes me want to get out of my car and throat punch someone.

There's a place near where I used to live that is like this just about every rush hour. I recorded a short snippet of that activity, burned it to a DVD, and went to the local police station about it. I don't know if my specific actions actually did anything, but I did see quite a few people get harvested for tickets later in the week.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
It bugs me how the news and tv and movies all assume the entire US has the weather of the northeastern US. Like the news this morning is talking about how it is "finally warming up". It's been 80-90+ for at least a month here already. I love Halloween, but the movies always make it look brisk and cool. It can be hot on Halloween in a huge part of the country. Though I'm not sure this one isn't pure fantasy. I lived in Boston for a while and Halloween was usually short sleeves weather even there.

This guy. I love to hate Snowcat. He sometimes has valid points, but most of the time, he's going around doing illegal moves and blaming cars for them.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hate youtube compression. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I do everything I can to minimize compression artifacts in my videos, but it just puts them back again.

For example, here's a screenshot from my latest overwatch video, taken from me playing the MP4 on my computer.

It's compressed with h.264 2-pass variable compression with a target bitrate of 15 megabit, which is already well above what most people use and what youtube recommends (10-12 mbit for 1080p they say). To me, this is still "not great" but it is servicable. It drives me up the wall watching other gaming channels with their crisp graphics... I can only guess they're uploading their raw footage, which for this match would have been about 60 gigabytes, which would have taken a literal day and a half of constant uploading to accomplish.

But see, here's what youtube does to MY video.

Notice how everything looks a little crappier (especially the lines on the gauntlet in the foregound), and everything in red looks a LOT crappier. You can no longer read the name of who I just eliminated, nor tell for sure what their capture percentage at the top of the screen is, the health bar above "Contesting point!" no longer has segments, it's just one blurry red caterpillar, and the Winston on the right side of the screen is particularly awful.

SIGH.

fade

Staff member
You know what gets me? When I export from Adobe Premiere using their YouTube preset, and then YouTube tells me the video doesn't have compatible settings with YouTube.

Liberty Mutual ads. They're driving me insane. They were great back when they had the semi-paradoxical circle of random people helping each other in small ways, but these new (within the last few years) ones, where people bitch and moan about normal insurance things (or their own stupidity) are so fucking infuriating.

"I spent two weeks researching every single little detail about a new car to pick the perfect one, then ran into a tree on my way home, and my insurance company wanted to raise my rates. Maybe I should have spent that time researching insurance companies."

Or, maybe, you shouldn't have run into a fucking tree on your way home!

"We had a perfect driving record for years, then one of us hit a food truck, and now our perfect driving record doesn't get us anything!"

No, you stupid couple, your perfect driving record got you (presumably) lower rates while you still had it. Now you ran into a(n also presumably) big, highly decorated, busy truck that was serving people food! You deserve to have your rates go up! What the hell were you paying attention to that caused you to miss seeing a fucking food truck?!

"My insurance policy is too long to read, so I have no idea what coverage I have. Only lawyers can read through that much information."

You know, I'll admit, I've never read through my entire insurance policy. But you know what I have read? The declarations page. It shows exactly what I'm covered for. Including my roadside assistance.

Liberty Mutual ads. They're driving me insane. They were great back when they had the semi-paradoxical circle of random people helping each other in small ways, but these new (within the last few years) ones, where people bitch and moan about normal insurance things (or their own stupidity) are so fucking infuriating.

"I spent two weeks researching every single little detail about a new car to pick the perfect one, then ran into a tree on my way home, and my insurance company wanted to raise my rates. Maybe I should have spent that time researching insurance companies."

Or, maybe, you shouldn't have run into a fucking tree on your way home!

"We had a perfect driving record for years, then one of us hit a food truck, and now our perfect driving record doesn't get us anything!"

No, you stupid couple, your perfect driving record got you (presumably) lower rates while you still had it. Now you ran into a(n also presumably) big, highly decorated, busy truck that was serving people food! You deserve to have your rates go up! What the hell were you paying attention to that caused you to miss seeing a fucking food truck?!

"My insurance policy is too long to read, so I have no idea what coverage I have. Only lawyers can read through that much information."

You know, I'll admit, I've never read through my entire insurance policy. But you know what I have read? The declarations page. It shows exactly what I'm covered for. Including my roadside assistance.
Those ads are brutal!

I pay special attention to insurance coverage and exclusions. I have friends and family in insurance and have seen scary things at work. People who don't check or don't care then want to fight when they need insurance....omg!

I get so fucking annoyed when critiquing/ writing a review/ criticizing a bad TV show episode, and some asshole always interjects with "no one's forcing you to watch it". I find these people to be on the stupider side of stupid.

I get so fucking annoyed when critiquing/ writing a review/ criticizing a bad TV show episode, and some asshole always interjects with "no one's forcing you to watch it". I find these people to be on the stupider side of stupid.
I can understand it sometimes if it's someone critiquing every single episode and the show in general for things that aren't likely to change. If you can't suspend your disbelief to accept superheroes, Supergirl probably isn't the show for you. OTOH, saying "this particular episode didn't work because [...]" and getting that response is absolutely idiotic.

Yeah, well, no one is forcing you to listen to stupid people!

I dunno, I think you're kind of obligated to listen to POTUS.
Most people don't even realize that Obama had live addresses rather frequently relative to previous presidents. He tried hard in the beginning to have them regularly, trying to be all leaderish, but after the first one or two networks simply didn't run them because nobody was watching them.

He went back to the old model of only addressing the nation during a crisis.